Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roomba - pros and cons

Default Roomba - pros and cons

I'm thinking about getting one. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth the money? I've noticed the price has come down quite a bit on them lately.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

You can take funny videos of your real or robotic pets riding around on them!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

From Consumer Reports:
    February 2004

Clean-two-three-four
    FANCY FOOTWORK? Because the Roomba lacks a hose, you’ll need something else to clean edges and corners.

The aptly named Roomba, a robotic floor cleaner, waltzed into the world and quickly developed a dedicated following. How many floor-care products have their own online discussion group? The Roomba does.

What the Roomba doesn’t have is great performance. It’s certainly no replacement for a regular vacuum, as we found when we tried the Roomba Pro Elite, $250, a recent addition to a line that includes the basic Roomba and Roomba Pro.

In tests using fine sand scattered evenly over an 8x8-foot corral, the Roomba picked up most of the sand, as did a low-priced standard vacuum cleaner. Although the Roomba required no human touch, it did require far more time (25 minutes vs. 3). And on carpets, it didn’t deep-clean the way most vacuums would.

When you start the Roomba, it travels in a spiral pattern until it finds an obstacle such as a wall. It follows the wall for a while and then criss-crosses the room until its cleaning time--based on one of four room settings--elapses. Sensors keep the Roomba from tumbling down stairs. Its rechargeable battery lasts about 90 minutes on a charge, enough to clean about three medium-sized rooms.

Before you use the device in any room, you may need to “Roomba-proof” it by moving chairs and other obstacles. You may also need to segment odd-shaped rooms into regular sections using “virtual wall” sensors provided with the unit.

In a room with both area rugs and bare floor, the Roomba may not be able to climb back onto a rug once it cha-chas onto the floor. Our Roomba bounced off the edge of a rug as if it were a wall and sometimes became tangled in a rug’s fringe.

The bottom line. The Roomba cleans uncluttered bare floors, but even some cheap vacuums outperform it on both floors and carpets.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yeah, but that article is 4 years old. I'm sure the product line has vastly improved since then.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Hmmmm. I'm tempted regarding one of these but I just don't know... here's something from February 2008 http://www.dailytechnobabble.com/200...0-mini-review/
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

The one I'm actually considering trying is the IRobot Big Dog.

Amazon.com: iRobot 110 Dirt Dog Workshop Robot: Kitchen & Dining

I've had 2. When they worked, I adored them. They picked up a lot of stuff and they're cute to watch, except kind of loud. Not good for heavy duty jobs, because the receptacle is not too big. But if you run it every day or every other day, you're good.

Problems - cleaning them can be icky & tedious. Hair & stuff gets wound around the rollers & you have to pop them out & clean them. There are other little pieces you have to pop out & clean, and dust goes everywhere when you do it.

Also, they break. It doesn't take much. If you don't clean all the parts enough, the sensor gets wonky & they start acting weird. If stuff gets wound around the rollers (like yarn or something) and holds it, it burns up. I was determined to take perfect care of my second one, and it lasted less time than the first. Started doing the "circle of death" which is what Roomba people call it when it just goes in circles repeatedly - it's on it's way out.

I would love to have another one if they can figure these things out. I love the concept. I just found that, after the novelty wore off, the things were a pain to clean & it was disappointing when they started screwing up.

eta: oh, & the article is correct - they get stuck sometimes. They'll get into tight spots between furniture & can't get out. And don't EVER let one near a shag rug - the long pieces will get sucked up into the rollers & it won't be able to break loose.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Elite Member

^^Sounds like they're more trouble than they're worth.

I have to clean my vacuum head (the one that's for carpets) every time I vacuum because of my hair and the dog's hair getting wound up in the beater bar. It sucks. I don't know of any vacuum design that wouldn't have that problem though. I have a Miele Antares that I purchased in the spring and other than that I love it, it's a great vacuum.

....nannobots....all pushing tiny little vacuum sweepers.....

....hey, I'm sick of housework, too.....and I like to dream big.....

Hit By Ban Bus!

I got one 2 years ago and I loved it while it worked. I scheduled mine to run everyday and it was wonderful for picking up dog and cat hair. My area rugs stayed clean, no more balls of hair or dust in the corners of the rooms, and no crumbs on the kitchen floor.

It did get stuck in certain places which was kind of an inconvenience, but still worth it. Sometimes I couldn't find it for the life of me and swore it escaped the house. It gradually started to lose efficiency and would only run for a few minutes. Now it just won't run at all. I bought a new battery thinking that might be the problem, but it still won't work. It was great while it lasted, but these things need some more improvements before I would buy one again. Btw, it lasted less than a year. Others I know that have one have all had the exact same problems.

One of my clients has one, but she has a dog and 2 cats and it does help with the hair
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

I bought one but we weren't happy with the performance, so it's been put into use a few times during the local festivals games as virtual frogger in the Roomba races.

Hit By Ban Bus!

My Mom gave me one for Christmas about 4 years ago. It tried my patience, to be honest. It took far too long and I would rather just vacuum and get it over with.

My mom bought me one when they first came out. It worked pretty good.... if you have rugs with tassels it gets all tangled up in them. And cleaning it out was a pain in the ass.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

So I got one and I have to say that so far, I'm absolutely in love with it. As far as them only living about a year, I think I can stand to drop a couple hundred a year. I couldn't hire a maid to keep the floors that clean for only $200/year, so its an excellent bargain.

Cleaning it is a pain in the ass, but still a vast improvement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information