Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The McMansions have arrived

Default The McMansions have arrived

Look at this pile of shit on my parents' block. The first owner of this house was killed when he fell off a ladder.

KARMA, I say. Karma. They're building another right across the street from the rents...this one is further down the street.

http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1049407091

Here's an older house in the same neighborhood:

http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1050205904

Look at those huge price differences. You know what this means, kids? The existing houses are being priced as teardowns.

More teardowns from my childhood 'hood:

http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1051380009

http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1052290663

http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1051339165

http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1052427427

Fuck fuck FUCK.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

God, people get more and more tacky every day. I hate McMansions so much. They are completely devoid of personality and generally destroy the looks of a neighborhood and are too big for the lot they're built on. People who teardown and then built one of these montrosities are saying so much about themselves: more money than taste and a need to 'show' the world all that they've got. Tacky, tacky, tacky.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    God, people get more and more tacky every day. I hate McMansions so much. They are completely devoid of personality and generally destroy the looks of a neighborhood and are too big for the lot they're built on. People who teardown and then built one of these montrosities are saying so much about themselves: more money than taste and a need to 'show' the world all that they've got. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

I KNOW...I hate it. My parents' neighborhood is...or WAS...wall-to-wall 1940s and 1950s ranch houses, mostly between 2000 and 3000 square feet, mostly around the 2500 sq ft mark, sitting on between .25 and .50 acres, with TONS AND TONS of mature trees. It is also a majority-Orthodox Jewish area and the unique character of the neighborhood is going to be absolutely ruined; many of the Orthodox Jewish residents aren't native to the US and work as educators, engineers, clergy, or small business owners. You know, REAL jobs...instead of these investment banker, lawyer, and plastic surgeon assholes moving in.

Ugh. FUCK real estate developers. A "property developer" bought the house across the street from the 'rents, tore it down...which broke my heart since the previous resident, an elderly woman, had poured her heart into renovating that house in the mid-1980s and it was beautiful...and built a 5,000 square foot million dollar monstrosity in its place. Dad and some of the other residents wanted to sue, but there's nothing they can do. They're going to try to get some kind of protection from the county or state so no more houses there can be torn down. He has lots of lawyer friends because of the nature of his profession (engineer...they get sued all the time) and they're trying to fight this, but it'll probably be a losing battle. Y'know, what's a COMMUNITY when MONEY is at stake?

I hate those McMansions. Why would you need such a huge house unless you have 17 kids. And families are generally smaller now. Who wants to clean up that huge house? And yes, they squeeze them onto small lots. Didn't there used to be rules about how big a house you could build on a lot? Doesn't seem to be anymore.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow53 View Post
    I hate those McMansions. Why would you need such a huge house unless you have 17 kids. And families are generally smaller now. Who wants to clean up that huge house? And yes, they squeeze them onto small lots. Didn't there used to be rules about how big a house you could build on a lot? Doesn't seem to be anymore.

In some areas yes, but apparently not in Dallas. It's weird, because Dallas usually has such Nazi zoning rules...but if you have a million to plunk down on a house, I guess the rules don't apply to you.

It seems it's always a two-professional family who work shit loads of hours and spend little time with thier one trophy child. I would recommend your dad and/or the neighborhood/town try to get a moratorium on tear-downs. It's been done in other places and tends to stop developers in their tracks. They give up the fight and go somewhere else and fuck up someone elses neighborhood. I guess that's passing the buck and very much 'not in my backyard' but sometimes there aren't alot of options.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

It seems it's always a two-professional family who work shit loads of hours and spend little time with thier one trophy child. I would recommend your dad and/or the neighborhood/town try to get a moratorium on tear-downs. It's been done in other places and tends to stop developers in their tracks. They give up the fight and go somewhere else and fuck up someone elses neighborhood. I guess that's passing the buck and very much 'not in my backyard' but sometimes there aren't alot of options.

If everyone does it, then the property developers will just find other ways to fuck our shit up, but it's definitely better than nothing.

Hmmm...nation-wide moratorium on ugly-assed, oversized housing? Why oh why do people like these horrible structures?

--Sinclair Lewis

Hmmm...nation-wide moratorium on ugly-assed, oversized housing? Why oh why do people like these horrible structures?

Because they're luxurious and expensive. And they have wine cellars.

Wine cellars? Don't tell me: these folks read Wine Spectator and then think they're experts? Oh god, deliver me from ever having to experience that particular hell.

--Sinclair Lewis

Bronze Member

I don't understand why people can't have a small house that's just as luxurious.

Don't worry - plenty people who are just barely affording these montrosities will go bankrupt this winter, as the cost to heat these pieces of crap will simply kick their asses.

Don't forget that the cost of fuel-oil heating will increase by about 75% this winter season.

Wine cellars? Don't tell me: these folks read Wine Spectator and then think they're experts? Oh god, deliver me from ever having to experience that particular hell.

LOL, that shit has been going on in Dallas long before wine expert-ry was popular.

Quote Originally Posted by pookiebear View Post
    I don't understand why people can't have a small house that's just as luxurious.

Don't worry - plenty people who are just barely affording these montrosities will go bankrupt this winter, as the cost to heat these pieces of crap will simply kick their asses.

Don't forget that the cost of fuel-oil heating will increase by about 75% this winter season.

The McMansion listing I posted is being sold because the husband died. Apparently the widow can't keep up the mortgage payments; I guess her psychology degree and four years at the Tri-Delt house didn't provide her with the skills necessary to earn enough to hold onto a million-dollar home.

Of course this is ALL idle gossip.

Never mind the heating costs...wait until the interest rates start rising and all these dumbasses who mortgaged themselves silly start realizing that they can't actually afford those horror houses. Bring on a new generation of tear-downs: tearing down McMansions.

--Sinclair Lewis

There are houses like that popping up all over in Minnesota. They are so overpriced, it's rediculous.
    We are business owners and we live in a single family home that has 4 bedrooms and it is 1200 square feet. It is comfy for our family of 5. We would like a bigger house but we are happy with our house payment of under 1,000 a month.

If we were to buy a 400,000 home our payments would be between 2,000 and 4,000 a month. We have better things to spend our money on.

Those big homes are alot of wasted space IMO.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information