Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For new parents - How is the state of your home?

Default For new parents - How is the state of your home?

How has your home changed with the new baby? Are you happy, okay, or frustrated with how your home looks with regard to all the baby items? If someone had a service that could help pull it together would you take advantage of it?

I'll be consulting on someone's start up business helping new parents learn how to keep the home together so it doesn't look like baby has taken over.

I know a lot of new Moms and when I visit them it's as if just kids live there. Then there are the one's where you'd never know a baby is there except for the stroller in the hallway.

I tell them it's a matter of maintenance and deciding how they want to live. So far the feedback has been extremely positive and they crave knowledge with regard to design, organization and sourcing for the best products for their needs.

What are your concerns?

We have a two story house, so we spend most of our time downstairs. We just have our living room, dining room and kitchen on the first floor, so the only place to play is in the living room.

Our living room has nearly all our daughter's toys. It feels crowded and we are constantly tripping on toys. You can tell a kid lives here, but we don't care about that. I just hate how it's so cluttered with all the toys, books, child's PICNIC table (), etc.

I could use help with keeping the kid's clutter to a minimum. Maybe ways to hide the clutter by organization....

DD - your post was very helpful because you wrote what was important to you and what you'd like to improve on.
    I think that babies should be in the main living area with their activities but there must be a place to put everything.

New babies aren't near as much of a change to the way a home looks, as
    toddlers are. That's when the "did a bomb explode here recently?" era begins,
    soon after each time you've cleared all the toys and clutter away.
    Even when you're very organized, as I like to think I am, you cannot have
    children LIVE and thrive in a home and not expect to have clutter or just a
    plain old mess every now and then. I personally hate too sterile homes where
    I do know children ARE present, about as much as I hate homes that ALWAYS
    look like a bomb exploded. The middle way is always the best.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

^ That's true about clutter and the baby's age. The house wasn't crazy until she was about 1. My daughter is 15 months and the living room is a mess before we are even finished cleaning it. We put toys away and go to get other toys, she runs back and pulls the toys back out. If we clean it in the morning, by dinner the toys are everywhere again.

It does look like a toy bomb exploded in our house. The good thing is that it's contained to just the living room, so the kitchen and dining room are free of toys.

It's hard, she wants to play with every toy and book and she has a short attention span. Every single toy is on the floor because she plays with them for a minute each and moves on to something else.

My husband and I have just accepted that this is probably how it will be for years to come as we plan to have more children.

I am open to any advice though! Hopefully as she gets older she will understand the rule about taking only a few toys out at a time. Right now its a free for all!

My baby is too little for many toys yet, but I know what's coming.

I'd probably have to have my honey build them, but I'd like to have 2 large storage benches for our living room. Something with a hinged lid that didn't look like a toybox. That way toys could be quickly scooped up and hidden when those unexpected guests arrive. Put a nice long cushion on top and it could double as seating.

is there some sort of soundproof cabinet to store the baby in that they can't claw their way out of?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    is there some sort of soundproof cabinet to store the baby in that they can't claw their way out of?
    Naughty! This is what your Mother should have done!

To all the Mothers of young children:
    People expect a toy mess. People not only undestand-they want to see it. One co-worker of mine had 2 small boys 3-5 range. Another co-worker had to drop off some papers to his house and reported back the house was sterile. Uber clean.The worse part-no colorful drawings on the refrigerator! Since they were not expecting her to drop by,this must be the usual house look. Everyone felt so sorry for those little boys! We had never heard of such. One likes to see some kiddy clutter around. True,fot the Mom's sake,some order must be present-just not too neat.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

We have a very neutral looking wicker trunk, kinda like the one in the
    picture, that doesn't have a lock, that doesn't interfere with the rest
    of the furniture. It's in its own area and THAT'S the play area, so
    the little people know not to stray too far from the trunk. Also make
    sure they learn from early on to put everything they got out of the
    trunk back in when they stop playing. Cannot teach that early enough.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I want one for myself! I need somewhere to hide from all these little monsters.

I wonder if the problem is that kids have TOO many toys. I want to try to limit the number of toys my kids will have if possible...like encourage them to donate an old toy when they get a new one. I know little ones like to take everything out even if they aren't interested in playing with them at that moment. Maybe the solution is to reduce the number of toys available rather than trying to keep them rounded up.

I want my kids to have enriched experiences but I don't want to spoil them or make their little worlds about "stuff". Does this make sense or am I just a mean momma?

Quote Originally Posted by memebot View Post
    I wonder if the problem is that kids have TOO many toys. I want to try to limit the number of toys my kids will have if possible...like encourage them to donate an old toy when they get a new one. I know little ones like to take everything out even if they aren't interested in playing with them at that moment. Maybe the solution is to reduce the number of toys available rather than trying to keep them rounded up.

I want my kids to have enriched experiences but I don't want to spoil them or make their little worlds about "stuff". Does this make sense or am I just a mean momma?
    Nope. Just to give you a hint: the toy trunk never changed size,
    yet everything still fits in it.......

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by memebot View Post

Oh, I hear ya. My 2 girls share a room and we really have to keep the stuff pared down. Sometimes it's hard for them to part with their stuffed animals though..... they must have a zillion.

Elite Member

Well, if you stopped by our house you wouldn't see too many toys unless you went upstairs. We consider the downstairs the public area and try to keep it clean. The upstairs may be a disaster area. The kids keep their toys in their rooms, what a concept! <puts on old person hat> When I was a kid, we didn't have "playrooms" - our bedrooms were our playrooms. So we have instituted the same rules here. I would love to have a separate playroom but our house just isn't large enough. We do have a bonus room but it also serves as an office and we have the 2nd TV in there (and it will have a Wii after Christmas). We have a Pottery Barn kid table and chairs in the bonus room for drawing and play-doh but that's it. Their toys are in their rooms. The kids can bring whatever they're playing with at the time downstairs (like some action figures that go along with a movie they're watching), but everything goes back to their rooms afterward.

We also have invented an ingenious way to prevent clutter in their rooms. It's called the library system. We keep most of their toys in clear storage boxes in the top of their closets. They are separated by categories, action figures, barbies, cars, little people, legos, etc. My kids can have ONE box down at a time. They play with it, and then they have to pick everything up and put it all back in the box and then tell a parent they want another box down. This has worked really well and their friends know the deal too and help them pick up. At this point we have to start paring things down because they have so many boxes they are sometimes stacked 3 high in the closet and they're difficult to reach. But you get the idea

Oy vea!

Once they reach toddler time, its over. I mean OVER in terms of even attempting to keep the play areas clean. Not gonna happen. I have finally accepted that, though it took 2 kids and about 4 yrs to get to that point.

We have a 2 story home also, and have a living room, dining room, kitchen and family room on the 1st fl (and a bath). We very recently just put ALL the downstairs toys in the living room. And I just let them destroy that room everyday.
    We are in the process of hiring a contractor to come in and finish our basement---it will be ONE BIG PLAYROOM. So in a few months, ALL of the toys will be in the basement. I cannot freaking wait.

Upstairs, each girl has her own bedroom, our room and 2 baths. The girls rooms are fairly tidy and not full of toys, but there are days.....

I was watching Oprah a wk ago or so, and there was an 'expert' that went into people's homes and organized rooms---one home had small children and the problems we all have. The Organizer did a few tricks that seemed easy and really looked cute! Might try a few for the basement!

Its a good idea Chalet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information