Thread: Modernizing a hippie haven

Default Modernizing a hippie haven

In the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco, a hippie boardinghouse once run by an elderly lesbian minister is now a family home remade with a warmed-up modernism and the restrained inflections of Norwegian design. The double-height living area is spanned by a bridge made of original flooring from the attic. Furnishings include a 1954 Florence Knoll sofa and an Eames rocker.

What had been a TV den in the house's hippie days is now a dining room, with Eames Eiffel chairs, a chestnut table from Sleuth Antiques in Sausalito, Calif., and a Jasper Morrison lamp.

A glass doorway framed in Douglas fir maintains a loftlike sense of space and light in the master bedroom. Behind the bed is an exposed chimney.

The play area in Lucia's bedroom is concealed by a curtain of Ikea fabric that suggests a Scandinavian flag. The Case Study Easy Chair by Modernica is based on a Pierre Paulin design.

The bedrooms are tucked into what was once a dark attic. Now, polycarbonate panels running along the top of the walls admit light into the hallway, and a glass doorway creates a feeling of openness in the master bedroom.

Salvaged lumber was glued together to form the butcher-block treads of the parlor staircase; chips and nail holes were left exposed. The railing is made of shower-door glass and industrial hardware.

Because the house was renovated many times in its 112-year history, it has hardware from various eras; the glass doorknob and brass plate are believed to date from the 1960s.

Mr. Mork-Ulnes designed a headboard of reclaimed Douglas fir, complete with book crannies, to conceal bracing that was added during the renovation.

Modernizing a Hippie Haven - The New York Times > Home & Garden > Slide Show > Slide 12 of 12

the glass doorknob and brass plate are believed to date from the 1960s.

Um, no. Way earlier than that.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

That nursey is adorable.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hmm, I really like a lot of the elements in the place. I'm undecided on the space overall, but I like that it has a lot of unique features going on.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

oooh, i love it! i especially like the living room...i'm seeing a lot of eames rockers lately & it's reminded me how bad i wanted one a few years back.

additionally, this place is in such a killer location. i want to move in STAT!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

They probably meant the 1860's for that doorknob?

While I like all the light they added to the place, I really hate the modern elements applied to such a specific style of historic home, it just clashes for me. Especially because I adore Victorians and think they should be classically restored or as close to it as possible.

I love it
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

I like it. I wonder if this is one of those tall,thin houses & what the sq. footage is. Also-the kitchen? Rarely is that left out.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love the details. I'd live there.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I like the doorknob.

ikea crotchvomit
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

*drools* i want to live there.
    i'd change the bedrooms a little (i agree they're a little too ikea) but overall the place is my dream combo of modern and old.
    i love the dining room (i'd change the rug though, or remove it altogether) and the mezzanine/stairs.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Way too much white and sterile for my taste. It looks like a gussied-up hospital.

Not too bad. I bet it looked better as a hippie haven though.

"is now a family home remade with a warmed-up modernism"

Warmed-up my ass. That shit is vanilla.

I am with Sweetness, I bet it looked better hippie. Where are the before pics?

Thread Information