Thread: Bubbletecture H in Shuhei Endo, Japan

Default Bubbletecture H in Shuhei Endo, Japan

Shuhei Endo's steel, wood and glass structure, Bubbletecture H, inflates ominously out of the Japanese landscape. The visitor center, built in a valley between Osaka and Hiroshima, was planned in three sections housing a theater/lecture hall, a bookshop/galley and a workshop.

Endo’s design aesthetic throughout his career has focused on numerous experiments with steel and the seemingly limitless possibilities the material has in the built environment. He continually sets out to prove that architecture can possess diversity while simultaneously following the rules of geometry, and Bubbletecture H is certainly not an exception.

Endo has a phenomenal ability to place anything he designs within nature. The visitor center is a structural geometry of bubbles from afar. But close up, the surface appears to mimic the faceted planes on the surface of a diamond. A minimal number of windows prevent this building from glimmering in its valley. Instead, Endo subdued his design with rusted steel and occasional moss surfaces to sit within the surrounding forest – additionally meeting his client’s desire to educate the people living in the Hyogo prefecture, as well as anyone else who visit on global environmental concerns.

Drawn from concepts found in traditional Japanese vernacular architecture, the superstructure was prefabricated from local Japanese cedar. Prefabrication minimizes both economic and environmental impacts – less material to transport shorter distances instantly reduces carbon emissions released from the onset of the project.

And like a cliff temple, the supporting structure clings to the earth only where necessary – the building is over 10,000 square feet in size, but it is connected to only sixteen deeply buried five-foot wide beams – and that’s all that goes in the ground.

The concept for the design of Bubbletecture H thoroughly examines nature’s cyclical systems. Circulation through the three functional sections of the building is apparent in the rational built form connecting these spaces across the landscape. Another set of systems cycle and collect rainwater that falls on the building’s surface and reuse it for irrigation. And perhaps the most significant systemic process, the life cycle of the entire site, has been acknowledged, as green technology oozes from practically every surface. Endo’s exhibition dedicated to environmental studies hopes to heighten people’s awareness in their surroundings – and by raising awareness improved care is imminent for the valley and its environs. - Andrew J Wiener

thecoolhunter.net - Bubbletecture H, Shuhei Endo, Japan

we have a water tower here that looks liek that, but in better shape. of course i dont believe you can live in the water tower
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Well that's unexpectedly ugly.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Reminds me of a chocolate truffle

i'm loving...especially the inside!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Is that rust?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

i like it. and yes, that is rust.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That rust makes it look like it's gonna fall apart though.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Hit By Ban Bus!

I thought I was going to like it.... but yuck.

some 70's nightmare.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Plainly defiantly ugly!

Thread Information