Thread: The 9,000 'Swiss Army knife' bathroom with foldable showers, cupboard and even a loo

Default The 9,000 'Swiss Army knife' bathroom with foldable showers, cupboard and even a loo

Designer Paul Hernon, 38, turns heads with his space-saving bathroom, created with small, city-living apartments in mind

It looks like an art installation inspired by a hi-tech corkscrew or Swiss army penknife.
    But this is no ornament or sculpture. It is, in fact, the world's first fold-up vertical bathroom.
    Called the Vertebrae, it stacks a toilet, sink, water cistern and two showers into one 8ft-tall steel column.
    It has a price tag of 9,000 and is aimed at space-conscious householders who struggle to fit a traditional shower, sink and toilet into their bathroom space.
    The Vertebrae is the brainchild of award-winning designer Paul Hernon, of Huddersfield, who created it with small apartments in mind.
    He said: 'I did lots of research and it became obvious to me that bathroom space was decreasing, particularly in apartments.
    'I have created an intriguing but functional and simplistic space-saving bathroom by stacking the contents of a bathroom on top of one another.
    'It's designed to utilise vertical space instead of horizontal floor space. It is quick to assemble and easy to maintain - all you need is a wet room to put it in.
    'I think it pushes the boundariesof anything that has been done before. People who have seen it are completely blown away.'
    The two showers - one for adults and one for children - both rotate 180 degrees while the other units all rotate a full 360 degrees.

They all twist around a steel column which contains all the piping, and each part simply pushes out when it is required.
    Mr Hernon, 38, said his creation could fit into a smaller space than a traditional bathroom, meaning architects could design smaller bathrooms and free up more space for other rooms.
    But he warned that the Vertebrae - named after the human spine - weighs 150 kilos, or more than 23 stone, and that householders might have to reinforce their bathroom floor before fitting it.
    The Vertebrae is expected to go on sale in the new year. Bespoke versions will be available with shaving mirrors, lights and other additions.

Compact: When not in use, the eight-foot aluminium unit folds up neatly - leaving a very tidy bathroom

The 9,000 'Swiss Army knife' bathroom with foldable showers, cupboard and even a loo | Mail Online

Very multi-functional, but the price tag ain't too practical and I think I'd get frustrated with pushing the swivels around.

Zee

It's like having a swiveling airplane restroom mounted into a pole. Meh-
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Elite Member

It's a good idea, but only if they can get the price down considerably.

That's a really cool idea, but how does to toilet work? Can it flush, or is it porta potty style?

No thanks.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

If it were cheaper it would be quite useful in efficiency apartments.

Mixing up my toilet with my sink and shower? Gotta be a feng shui problem in that.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

A*O

It's pricey but if you wanted to fit out a "normal" bathroom with top quality shower, loo, bidet, sink, etc etc I bet the cost wouldn't be too different. If space is tight it's great but for grown ups only.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

SVZ

i'd buy it if it had "presets" like you pressed a button for a shower configuration, etc, etc

I don't like it.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Thread Information