Thread: A Los Angeles house with a contemporary art collection

Default A Los Angeles house with a contemporary art collection

A stepped doorway hints at the Art Déco details inside Jane and Marc Nathanson’s 1920s Los Angeles residence. They hired designer Richard Hallberg to add a gallery for their art collection, but the scope of the project expanded to include renovations of the house’s first floor and garden.

Over the living room’s fireplace is a 1960 Franz Kline oil. Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiat’s 1984-85 GE Tobacco Section is at left.

Gilbert and George photographs from 1972 and a 1970 Cy Twombly oil hang in the new wing’s family room. “Richard created harmony between the addition and the existing house,” says Jane Nathanson. Glant linen on chaise and large pillow. Small pillow covered in pieces of carpet from Mansour.

The lower gallery. Katharina Sieverding’s Maton 1/4B, 1969/73, left, and 1974 Cibachrome prints by William Beckley hang at rear. A Frank Gehry-designed armchair is flanked by a 1986-87 Frank Stella, left, and a 1989 Julian Schnabel.

Standing in the garden is a 1963 Alexander Calder stabile. Perennials chaise and pillow fabrics; Santa Barbara Designs umbrellas.

Design Notebook: For Art’s Sake: Art Notebook:

in a van down by the river

i'm pleasantly surprised! i love it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

These people must be uber rich. That collection is more than run of the mill. I like how the house "presents" the pieces. And the garden!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I don't like the decor, in spite of the heavyweight artist names being thrown around.

I do like the multi-colored painting above the fireplace in the dining room (Cy Twombly oil?) and the Gehrig chair is interesting. Otherwise, it's just not my style. Great house, though.

Thread Information