Thread: Architect Richard Meier’s take on the traditional beach house

Default Architect Richard Meier’s take on the traditional beach house

Richard Meier and partner Michael Palladino designed a four-bedroom beachfront house on the coast of Southern California for modern-art collectors. Sequential block-shaped volumes and doors intersect at the entrance, drawing the visitor in spatially.

“The design challenge,” says Meier, “was to create privacy for interior and exterior living spaces while taking advantage of the southern exposure and clear views.” A break in the front façade—made of gridded and patterned glass—provides a glimpse into the courtyard.

A glass-floored walkway and a curved wall create opposing but balanced elements in the entrance hall. In typical Meier fashion, the narrow hall ends in a dramatic gesture, with the introduction of the dining area, two-story living area and expansive view.

Untitled, a circa 1945 painted-metal-sheet-and-wire mobile by Alexander Calder, hangs in the living area. The interiors were sparingly furnished by designer Rose Tarlow. “My objective was to be sure the furnishings wouldn’t interfere with the architecture,” she says. Stark carpet.

The walkway leads to the study, right, and the guest rooms and the master bedroom, left. “The glass flooring physically and spatially isolates the study within the overall composition,” says Palladino.

Two nearly identical master bedrooms are laid out in the house. One is on the first floor; the other is directly above it and features a private balcony and a leather-upholstered Eero Saarinen Womb chair and ottoman. Both rooms have maple beds and tables.

In the study, Philip Taaffe’s 1999–2000 mixed-media work Devonian Landscape hangs near a Richard Meier & Partners–designed desk and early-20th-century Josef Hoffmann chairs.

"The architecture is planned around an outdoor room that expands the interior space,” explains Michael Palladino, speaking of the bluestone-tiled terrace and the large garden courtyard. The one-bedroom guest apartment is situated atop a garage.

Seemingly independent planes and volumes are assembled to create the elegantly ordered 4,280-square-foot beachfront house. Its sharp white exterior, transparent features and sculptural elements are intended to capture and enhance an interplay of light and form.

AD 100: Rose Tarlow: AD 100 Designers: architecturaldigest.com

I like the interior with all the windows and openness, plus the location is amazing. the huge football field of grass outside-- not so much .

No bushes,no trees,no color outside.No blinds can be seen. No escape from the sunny days that will never seem to end.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

I bet it gets really HOT in there without any window shades. I'm all for natural light but you'd have to wear sunnies indoors I reckon.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

I think it's more to be admired than lived in, frankly.

bland.

Looks spectacular, but sterile.
    1. I guess all visitors need to wear surgical gloves and covers over their
    footwear to avoid making stains on the virginal white.
    2. One tsunami or category 2 storm and those wonderful big windows
    (not to mention the whole virginal white exterior and interior) are gone, baby!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

A*O

If I'm not mistaken it's not built yet - those are computer drawings so the colours are unnatural and that's why it looks so sterile. But it would still be like living in a hotbox.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Why does modern = white

I'm sorry, put some fucking color in there. Thanks.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I like the inner courtyard concept, but they could have executed it better.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information