Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A pre–World War I penthouse on Central Park is reinvigorated

Default A pre–World War I penthouse on Central Park is reinvigorated

Shelton, Mindel & Associates restored and renovated a family’s Central Park West apartment, turning two units into a unified 8,000-square-foot whole—half of which is designed to host philanthropic events.
    The living room. Sofa fabric, Rogers & Goffigon. Green pillow fabric, Bergamo.

The living room has a diverse collection of architect-designed Modern furniture, including a 1960 painted glass dining table by Joaquim Tenreiro, side chairs from 1905 by Josef Urban and a 1910 barrel chair by Eliel Saarinen. On the Sergio Rodriguez–designed low table, from 1960, is a Diego Giacometti bird sculpture.

The family room has a 1960 round wenge table by Fabricius and Kastholm, white upholstered Arne Jacobsen chairs from the 1960s, a black armchair designed in 1910 by Saarinen and a 1958 Charlotte Perriand console

A pair of 1962 Yrjo Kukkapuro lounge chairs face a 1960 Fabricius and Kastholm desk in the study.

In the master bedroom are a 1950 Alexandre Noll console, a 1960 Poul Volther Pyramid chair and a 1948 Georges Jouve ceramic lamp. Rudolf Koppitz’s Im Schosse der Natur, 1923, hangs on a wall. On the console are drawings by Le Corbusier.

Architectural Continuum: AD 100 Designers: architecturaldigest.com

A*O

Why are all the light fittings so TINY? Way too small for such large spaces. ALL the furniture is horrible (why all the twee table and chair settings everywhere?) and as for that junkshop green lamp in the bedroom and the Austin Powers office... Just goes to prove that all the money in the world can't buy good taste.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Love the detail. Dislike the furniture.

I actually like most of the furniture.. it's modern, but not overkill.

I also like that they didn't throw in a bunch of tacky window dressings, or overly floofy tickety tack details.. they kept it nice and clean.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I love it - it lets in so much light, and will you LOOK at that view!

SVZ

i wonder how much that place costs

I love the ceilings and the original woodwork.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Gold Member

Not crazy about the furniture, but I love the penthouse.

What a stunning apartment! Love it to death. I would sit for hours, naked and reading countless books in that sunroom...wow.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Why are all the light fittings so TINY? Way too small for such large spaces. ALL the furniture is horrible (why all the twee table and chair settings everywhere?) and as for that junkshop green lamp in the bedroom and the Austin Powers office... Just goes to prove that all the money in the world can't buy good taste.
    I totally agree. I've seen so many attractive, lively, stylish 50's and 60's modern homes, but this just doesn't work.

Among other things, that sort of furniture and decor will never look really good in a Victorian era dwelling, no matter how much you remodel. You need an Eichler house or something, seriously. The lines and dimensions are just all wrong. I'm not big on 60's modern art so I can't name names, but it's as if you took some striking abstract painting and put it in a big old fussy rococo frame or something.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

holy fuckin' shit, im sure that place is worth tens of millions ....... awwww to go back in time in nyc would be so cool.....

that being said, i dont like it, any of it inside. looks like Ikea an white walls are lame.

I like it.

i like it a lot. not sure i would want to live there, it seems a little too museum-ish but damn, those people have some amazing pieces of furniture and artwork.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Once again..just too much white. The spaces are great though.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

It looks too hotelish to be 'homey'... at least for me.
    ssabmud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information