Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My landlord is the spawn of hell

Gold Member

Default My landlord is the spawn of hell

My landlord is dragging her feet about fixing the air conditioning in my condo because while it does blow cold air, it is sucking down the kilowatts so fast that I've lost track of what my electric bill will be; anywhere from 600-1200 for July. June was $457.95 for 1050 square feet. I know people with houses 3x that size with electric bills half that much, and they keep the thermostat at 69F. Mine is cranked up to 80F to keep my electricity bill down under $1000.

Basically...what the fuck do I do? My lease runs out on August 31st and I'm thinking of just mailing in a check for my last month's rent, cutting the power, and bailing. I'd probably lose my $1500 deposit if I did that, and I'd like to have that back. After all the shit they put me through,they're lucky I'm not fucking suing them. (Yet.)

KD
    Elite Member

I have no advice, I have empathy for you and your situation. Is there nothing that can be done, like you hiring someone to fix it and deducting it from the rent?

What a shitty situation. Perhaps if you tell us your state, someone else might have some state specific advice.

Crap. The heck with her-get a repairman out quick. You'll save anything you spend on THAT off of your electric bill. Even if she won't take it off the rent,you'll save. I hope you are changing your filter every month-that will save you another 3-4 bucks. Jeeze-get someone out NOW. It is just too hot here! Is it central? I assume so. This could just be a freon type thing. Move it! You will end up with pee-neumonia!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

contact your congress person. and they will help you fight for your rights. my congress person here helps all the time!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

get someone in to fix it and send the bill for the repair to the bitch. and a note telling her how much your electrical bill was that month, should she be tempted not to pay for the repairs.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

How long have you been asking for the aircon to be fixed and do you have it in writing? If not, write to her (or the agent) NOW outlining the problem and asking her to take prompt action. Tell her that if she does not arrange for the unit to be checked you will call someone out yourself and send her the bill. Are you sure the unit is faulty or is it just old and inefficient? If there's nothing actually wrong with it and the repairman says the only option is to replace it with a new one then you might have to sit it out until 31 August. Whatever happens don't refuse to pay the power bill or any other outstanding costs. Word travels fast about delinquent tenants and it will also ruin your credit. If necessary you will have to sue the landlord later but it's expensive and time consuming and unfortunately it's probably cheaper to suck it up and move on (literally).
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I don't know what country you're in.

Ideally, you need to be able to show that you put the landlord on notice and that the notice was effective (i.e., certified mail, which shows a letter was received). Leave a paper trail explaining your gripe and any actions you take.

There are tenants' associations around here that are advocacy and resource groups for this kind of thing - have you looked into that?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

SVZ

Make sure you document everything!

I agree with documenting everything and getting responses from the landlord in writing. Most states give landlords a reasonable amount of time to take care of any repairs. If they are not taken care of, the tenant can get three estimates and go with the lowest quote and get it repaired. Keep the receipt and deduct it from your rent.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Document everything!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Hit By Ban Bus!

No advice for you, sorry. But I have to say that my electric bill has never, ever, ever been more than $70 (that's in the winter months, with christmas lights) and I would literally shit myself if I had bills coming in and I had no idea what amount they would be in.

Gold Member

The usage so far has cranked my bill up to $500 and there's still a couple more weeks to go in this billing cycle.

They allegedly sent someone around today to fix it but I see zero evidence of that.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    I don't know what country you're in.

Ideally, you need to be able to show that you put the landlord on notice and that the notice was effective (i.e., certified mail, which shows a letter was received). Leave a paper trail explaining your gripe and any actions you take.

There are tenants' associations around here that are advocacy and resource groups for this kind of thing - have you looked into that?
    Exactly. Definitely document everything (and keep your bills, if possible). Also, find out if your city has a tenant's council or other renter-rights groups. Here's one example of a place in Austin, TX. Heck, you may even want to ask them what to do in your city although they clearly say they're only for Austin and surrounding areas.

Austin Tenantsí Council/Austin Tenantsí Council

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy Burnett View Post
    Exactly. Definitely document everything (and keep your bills, if possible). Also, find out if your city has a tenant's council or other renter-rights groups. Here's one example of a place in Austin, TX. Heck, you may even want to ask them what to do in your city although they clearly say they're only for Austin and surrounding areas.

Austin Tenantsí Council/Austin Tenantsí Council
    Now that the issue has been reported and they're making a "good faith effort" to repair it, I have to sit tight.

I'll keep that in mind if I have trouble with them in the future though.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    My landlord is dragging her feet about fixing the air conditioning in my condo because while it does blow cold air, it is sucking down the kilowatts so fast that I've lost track of what my electric bill will be; anywhere from 600-1200 for July. June was $457.95 for 1050 square feet. I know people with houses 3x that size with electric bills half that much, and they keep the thermostat at 69F. Mine is cranked up to 80F to keep my electricity bill down under $1000.

Basically...what the fuck do I do? My lease runs out on August 31st and I'm thinking of just mailing in a check for my last month's rent, cutting the power, and bailing. I'd probably lose my $1500 deposit if I did that, and I'd like to have that back. After all the shit they put me through,they're lucky I'm not fucking suing them. (Yet.)
    Oh you do not pay that last month's rent.
    Bring your landlord to small claim's court, don't worry it will get her attention when you stop paying rent and she gets papers in the mail.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information