Thread: Slugs & mosquitoes... they must die or go elsewhere!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Default Slugs & mosquitoes... they must die or go elsewhere!

Yesterday morning I witnessed three baby slugs feasting away on my poppy and daisy sprouts; I removed them and flung them toa corner of the yard where I don't care if they eat stuff. The mosquitoes are getting out of hand. I've been using little off lamp things, citronella candles; the little fuckers still swarm around my son (even with repellant on). I've checked for standing water. Anyway, I'm about to go to the grocery store and buy massive amounts of garlic, puree that shit, dump it in a hose sprayer thingy and ummmm spray my yard down with garlic... I may throw in some basil just for the hell of it. We shall see what happens.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Slugs are hard to get rid of! I used to go out at night armed with flashlight,rubber gloves and a pail. Has anyone tried spraying Listerine to control mosquitoes? I got an email saying you should spray it around all doors,porches,etc and they would vanish. Sounds more like wishful thinking to me...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yeah... I was doing a slug hunt last night.
    I've also read that rosemary is repellant to mosquitoes, too so I'm going to add that to the mix and I've also decided that whatever I have left over will be getting rubbed all over some chicken!

This is pretty hillbilly, but I take empty tuna cans, bury them to the rim in my gardens, and fill them with beer. Every couple days I empty out the dead slugs that have visited the beer pool.

I'd love to hear a good solution to the mosquito issue!

Quote Originally Posted by sherbear905 View Post
    This is pretty hillbilly, but I take empty tuna cans, bury them to the rim in my gardens, and fill them with beer. Every couple days I empty out the dead slugs that have visited the beer pool.

I'd love to hear a good solution to the mosquito issue!
    I tried that with a saucer-you idea seems much better!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Okay, in between it being laundry day and chasing the boy around I've been googling garlic, slugs, mosquitoes... just a bit obsessive about this one. Found this link where they say "We need to carry out more tests to find out its commercial potential. We want to find out how garlic affects other creatures living in the soil, the right concentration to use, how it affects the taste of food once it has been used on crops, and many other things.
    Dr Port added the findings may be welcomed by organic gardeners looking for alternatives to pesticides. He said: "The research suggests that a home-made recipe of crushed garlic bulbs mixed with water could work on small-scale gardens."

So I think after doing intense slug hunts & beer traps start throwing some garlic down to keep the ones that are still around away?
    I am so going to win this battle with slugs and mosquitoes... seriously, I'm intent on getting those blood sucking bastards out of my yard without using the scary shit on stores shelves these days. I can't believe it's legal to sell half of that stuff and there are people wondering what is happening to the bee population... anyway.

Okay, I made a puree of 6 bulbs of garlic and some water (I'm working on a different diffusing distilling process due to possible clogging of the sprayer... maybe I need a different sprayer) attached the hose to it; talked some nonsense out loud to myself along the lines of "eat this slugs and mosquitoes!!!!!!!!" proceeded to spray all around my son's sand box and I noticed the level getting lower in the canister... was happy, kept spraying and started to notice the level not getting lower (an aside, your yard doesn't stink, just your hands after peeling so much garlic)... I'm getting bitten by bugs so I start to get pissed; I think the thing is clogged so I unscrew the hose while the water is still on make a giant mess all over myself... start again... I get impatient and just start flinging handfuls of garlic and water puree at strategic points in the yard and garden areas... I smell delicious and I haven't been bitten... we'll see if that still holds after a shower. I think it worked. Just have to get the system down. I'm not going to pay $84 for a jug of stuff that I could actually get the ingredients for and make at home... I'm so going to win this.
    Last edited by Just Kill Me; May 25th, 2008 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Slugs are hard to get rid of! I used to go out at night armed with flashlight,rubber gloves and a pail. Has anyone tried spraying Listerine to control mosquitoes? I got an email saying you should spray it around all doors,porches,etc and they would vanish. Sounds more like wishful thinking to me...

Well at least their breath will be minty-fresh when they bite.

SVZ

Just Kill Me, you can buy powdered garlic extract, that might work

or perhaps juice it with some hot peppers?

A*O

Those beer traps for slugs usually work quite well but you will never get rid of them completely.

As for mozzies, if you don't want to douse yourself with chemicals I'm told that a few drops of vanilla essence in a water spray does the job and smells nice too. I use a repellant called "Off!" that smells OK but I'm afraid some people are just mozzie magnets (ie, me) so I just cover up, especially my lower legs, ankles and feet around dusk when they little fuckers seem most active.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The ones in canada go right through "OFF" or even the really musky shit.. the deep woods repellant. They don't care, they bite you right through your clothes.

Fucking things are deadly.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

There's some super duper Tropical Strength mozzie repellant here that you slap on as a gel and it seems to work BUT it absolutely stinks and the fumes make you feel nauseous. I guess it's OK if you are stuck in the bush somewhere with swarms of zeppelin size mozzies feasting on you, but it's not so good around the backyard barbie where it taints the food, the drink, clothing.....
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I heard that if you spread catnip all around your patio it keeps mosquitos away.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Yes, I will be adding cat nip and rosemary to the next puree!

Well, you shouldn't have a problem with vampires now.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

When I first began gardening, I was at war with every pest and my garden never flourished. When I gave up and learned to live with them it was a different story. The ladybugs took care of the aphids and beetles seem to keep the slugs in check.

Someone recently read about Listerine for Mosquitos. No, you don't apply it, but spray it on the ground around the area you are in. I'm going to test it this weekend

Thread Information