Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My orchid quit me!!!!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Default My orchid quit me!!!!

So I received an SLC Tutankamen Pop joga (cattleya) orchid a couple weeks ago and it had 3 buds on it and I was so excited! Okay, so I made sure it had water when it arrived. It got half shade/half sun... temps were good. Only watered it once... oh how exciting one the buds starts to bloom! Kick ass... at that point the other two buds start going all droop and deadish on me... Friday night they fell off. Okay, still one blooming. Ummm, sometime Sunday before the bloom ever even completely opened it just went droop and fell off. WTF!?!?!?!
    So now I wander about my house in the dark singing Marilyn Manson at my plant "the minute that it's born, it begins to die!!!!!!!!!" That's not helping, either.

maybe you didn't love it enough.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    *slaps Grimm about the head and shoulders. Uses Purell.*
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I am a cold heartless bitch without regard for any other living creature... kicking the pot and yelling "perfom plant thing perform I command you!!!!!!!" didn't help either.

RIP little orchid. RIP.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

I wish someone would put real advice on here. I just got one 2 weeks ago.Says water once a month. but I am scared to do it!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Mine said to water once a week or to let the root ball dry out in between waterings. I've googled and googled and really hasn't been much help. One woman explained that you have to treat them like people, okay... so basically don't do anything to them that you wouldn't do to yourself... anyway, she was using it as an analogy compared to multiple child births and letting an orchid keep blooming over and over in a short period.
    So my orchid half ass bloomed and then spazed out; I don't know why. I'm going to give it some food next watering and wait for it to try again in a couple months.
    Also, I went ahead and cut off what I think was the flower spike because that's what everything told me to do but who knows; I may be butchering my plant.

MCJag what kind did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    *slaps Grimm about the head and shoulders. Uses Purell.*
    *gigglesnorts*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Orchids are kinda finicky and temperature changes can cause bud drop. Not your fault. It should grow another flower spike (when it feels like it ) and reward you with more flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Mine said to water once a week or to let the root ball dry out in between waterings. I've googled and googled and really hasn't been much help. One woman explained that you have to treat them like people, okay... so basically don't do anything to them that you wouldn't do to yourself... anyway, she was using it as an analogy compared to multiple child births and letting an orchid keep blooming over and over in a short period.
    So my orchid half ass bloomed and then spazed out; I don't know why. I'm going to give it some food next watering and wait for it to try again in a couple months.
    Also, I went ahead and cut off what I think was the flower spike because that's what everything told me to do but who knows; I may be butchering my plant.

MCJag what kind did you get?
    It says: Dendrobium. I am just noticing it also says water every 10-12 days! I might have already killed it!!

Maybe not.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Don't be mad at yourself. Orchids are really finicky flowers. I've killed two of them, despite my best efforts! After the second one died, someone told me that you should get special food for them. SPAM. I think something like this is better for orchid-killers like me!
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; July 30th, 2013 at 07:57 AM.

how do these things survive out in the wild?

how do these things survive out in the wild?
    For one thing, they don't have a Person killing them with kindness!

Totally. I don't understand how this happened.
    Regarding temperature changes I don't think that's really happened lately... it's only going to get hotter here. I killed the buds but the rest seems alive I bet I'll be able to keep it alive forever; it's just a dud or maybe I'm a dud. No green thumb here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information