Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you going to plant this Spring?

Default What are you going to plant this Spring?

Well since it is approaching, I have decided what I would like(if I have the money) to plant.

-some herbs like chives and thyme that are super hardy
    -a Pink Double Knockout rose
    -a couple of variegated red twig dogwood shrubs in pots(very hardy, good in pots, pretty leaves, redtwigs in winter to go against white walls, and likes shade!)
    -an Invicta gooseberry bush in a pot
    -some more strawberry plants
    -A Jostaberry in a pot
    -a Serviceberry in a pot.
    -another Japanese Rose(Kerria Japonica) but this one would be the double one, I like them with their green twigs in winter, and I have a hole I need to fill since my neighbor stole my peony last year.. fucker. And they will take shade.

What abouit you?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I just planted a hydrangea & more Virginia creeper. Now I am worried the hydrangea might get too large-I can prune it back if it does,right?
    My verbena (purple & red) seems to have made it-most likely because this new backyard faces south. I am used to north. I have a big window facing east & a vacant lot that will be built on later. I want some kind of trelis thing-triple, so I can have light and privacy after they build. Am considering Don Juan climbing rose OR clemintis-Jackmanii. Our house is that Chicago brick-mostly red, so I have to consider that. Anyone have any other suggestions? I am in zone 8 (US).
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Excellent question. I was wondering what grows easily in So California that is dummy proof (I've never planted anything before) and colorful. I think I want a flower box right outside my back porch. I've been clearing weeds (DAMN CLOVER and dandelion have taken over the yard!) so I want something bright and pretty to look at once I'm done.

A*O

I'm desperately trying to keep my fried garden alive, let along thinking about planting. Even the native Aussie plants are really struggling now because of this f*cking drought.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Excellent question. I was wondering what grows easily in So California that is dummy proof (I've never planted anything before) and colorful. I think I want a flower box right outside my back porch. I've been clearing weeds (DAMN CLOVER and dandelion have taken over the yard!) so I want something bright and pretty to look at once I'm done.
    This screams Cosmos. Plant from seed in poor soil. Says right on the package "thrives on neglect". After last frost date,barely cover with dirt & watch. The colors are vivid & people want to touch them to see if they are real! The more bouquets you pick, the more blooms you get. Bright lights is my favorite.Purple ones (that is a field of cosmos you see in the Color Purple ad) are more majestic, but bloom later. Much taller. If you go to www.parkseed.com , they are having a big sale all March. Have scads of ideas!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I seem to be unable to kill Gerbera Daisies.
    My house I just move into has an awesome little green house off of my room! I haven't even thought about what to plant; we have workers coming this Saturday to get the entire yard in shape after what appears to be a couple years neglect.

DILL! I'm addicted to the smell and taste. I also have to plant a pine tree I got over xmas.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Peppermint. Mine died over the winter. Looking for pansies that I can't seem to find anywhere. I guess they are not out yet? Strange.
    I am going to get a pink/red dog wood for the front yard.
    I am trying to figure out what I want to do with the backyard this year. I saw some new kind of morning glories that I think I will get and start them inside next week or so. I put some tulips in yesterday and iris in yesterday. I will have to see what starts coming up. I always forget what I put down last year! Oh. and Elephant ears. Gotta do those this year too.

^dogwood is SO pretty inthe fall/winter. Watchout for peppermint, it tends to take over gardens, even hardy plants like rhubarb!

I made that mistake with spearmint! I has flooded over from the flower bed to the yard! It smells really great after we walk on it or the lawnmower runs over it but I didn't want it that much! LOL.

Yep. I gotta find a really nice pot for the peppermint. I love making tea with it.

A*O

Mint can go a bit crazy and take over. Solution - plant it in a large pot.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Zee

I want to plant calla lilies but will forget to dig up the bulbs in the fall. Usually just do snapdragons, day lillies and nicotina.

Also have to replace the blueberries and raspberry bushes the wild goats ate.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Since I bought my house I have NO more room to plant anything.. I wish I would have thought out my beds a little more.

I am excited for my Lilac.. last year I got one bloom.. so they say.. it should be mature now and bloom..I didn't think it was ever gonna happen. Anyone else experience that with lilacs?

Lemon balm took over my yard it came up EVERYWHERE.. I pulled it all out ..but I still find it sprouting up.

Think Spring!
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

^I remember when my Mum planted hers, the gardening store workers told her it needed a full year in the ground in order to flower.

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMeRhonda View Post
    Since I bought my house I have NO more room to plant anything.. I wish I would have thought out my beds a little more.

I am excited for my Lilac.. last year I got one bloom.. so they say.. it should be mature now and bloom..I didn't think it was ever gonna happen. Anyone else experience that with lilacs?

Lemon balm took over my yard it came up EVERYWHERE.. I pulled it all out ..but I still find it sprouting up.

Think Spring!

Do I spy hostas? I have always hated them..but they are now a go-to plant with shade and root competition. I took the ones I could take with me when I moved. some of them were three or four feet high and around. they all seemed to do ok after transplanting. I would stick a Cornus Alba Elegantissima in there by that white fence. They thrive here in Ohio, take sun or shade, and the red twigs look fantastic over the winter..also Kerria Japonica..easy to grow, has a variegated leaf cultivar, and has great green twigs in winter. I like the grasses you have too..what are they>?

Lilacs..Best IMO is dwarf Korean Lilac-blooms later than the others, smaller, easier, can be trimmed into shapes(even a hedge)..very hardy and tough, no mildew. Also one called 'Josee' (some hybrid) is good. Everblooming even!
    here is a link: Park Seed: Reblooming Dwarf Lilac Josee - A reblooming dwarf Lilac (Syringa) with very fragrant pinkish-lavender blooms, excellent mildew resistance, and good heat tolerance.

There are some other hybrids around like this with darker/bluer colors too

*you have TONS of space..you simply have to expand your borders out a little and remove a little lawn!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information