Thread: Paint problem...any ideas?

Question Paint problem...any ideas?

First of all I hope I put this in the right section. Now, here's my problem...I got new furniture for my living room. Went from cloth to leather. The color of my new couch was very similar to the color of my walls (a cream color or off white) so I decided to paint an accent wall. I chose red. Since it's my favorite color and I thought it would add a kick of color. So, friday I went out and picked the color got the supplies etc. Came home, taped where i didnt want paint to touch around the moulding and so on. Next I put the primer on the wall. I let it dry over night since at this point it was already late. When I got up Saturday morning I started painting the first coat. It said to wait at least 4 hours between coats but I waited more like 9 or 10 because I was out Saturday evening. Now here is the problem, it's Tuesday night and my leather couch has stuck to the wall where it touched and pulled off some of the paint!!! Shouldn't the wall be completely dry by now? I dont understand why the couch is sticking to the wall (mainly the corners of the couch) the wall is dry to the touch. I dont know a lot about painting but its been 3 days I thought it would be fine???
    Oh in case it matters I used a semi gloss paint.

If the weather was humid or damp, it could affect drying time.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yep-that's what I was thinking. Too humid. Can you run the heater or AC? That should clear out some moisture.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I thought about that. The weather was great Saturday when I painted but Friday it had rained earlier in the day. Yesterday was sunny and it's raining again today. At this rate my wall may never dry....LOL!

We have central heat and air and the heat is 'on'. It runs randomly throughout the day. Should that be helping?
    Last edited by Tati; February 26th, 2008 at 10:10 PM.

was the paint oil based, or water based?

Water based dries faster, and gloss finishes do dry slower

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    was the paint oil based, or water based?

Water based dries faster, and gloss finishes do dry slower
    I looked all over the paint can and I guess I must be missing it because I don't see where it says oil or water based??? The front of the label says interior/exterior semi gloss.

does it say latex? prob water based

does it really smell? prob oil based

Im gonna guess it's water based. It doesn't say latex on the front but it didnt have a really strong smell. It's Valspar says from the makers of American Tradition. We didnt pick out the brand...just showed the color to the guy at lowe's and he mixed it up. It just says interior/exterior semi gloss accent color.

^ It's probably latex (water-based), that's sort of the "default" option. Alkyd is another term for oil-based, if that helps any. It would take a lot longer to dry if it was oil-based. That seems like a really long time though!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Did you prime the wall? When you use dark colors, like red, you should use a grey primer underneath so you don't have so many coats. That may have been the problem, so many coats, and since it's a semi gloss, it's harder for the coats to adhere to themselves.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

A*O

Did you use the correct primer for a semi-gloss top coat? They do take longer to dry properly, especially if it's humid.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Did you prime the wall? When you use dark colors, like red, you should use a grey primer underneath so you don't have so many coats. That may have been the problem, so many coats, and since it's a semi gloss, it's harder for the coats to adhere to themselves.
    I did use a primer. I used the one the guy in the paint dept gave me. And I only put on two coats. I would have left it at one but it was blotchy. It is nice and even now except for the bare spots the couch has touched...LOL! At least they are behind the couch and can't be seen.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Maybe the paint shop guy should have recommended killz, it's a primer that gets rid of any moisture and kills any mold or oil that may be on the wall.

Thread Information