Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is it so hard to sublet my condo?

Gold Member

Default Why is it so hard to sublet my condo?

I leased a condo in September but now I want to sublet it so my fiance and I can have more space; we need it for the business we're going to start soon plus his 2 kids who will visit every other weekend.

So far I've been advertising it on craigslist and sublet.com and haven't shifted it yet. It's been 3 weeks. Plenty of people have come to see it but nobody has actually wanted it, and I haven't had any responses from my ads for a week now.

Any hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated. The place is absolutely spotless and is very pretty, and it's in a desireable area of town.

Maybe your asking price is too high. Look around and see what other places that are comparable and in the same area cost.

Also, one thing that always turned me off whenever I walked into a prospective apartment: cat piss. Cat owners often don't notice, but anyone walking in will.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Maybe your asking price is too high. Look around and see what other places that are comparable and in the same area cost.

Also, one thing that always turned me off whenever I walked into a prospective apartment: cat piss. Cat owners often don't notice, but anyone walking in will.
    It would be a lease reassignment, so the rent is what I'm paying now. It's a very reasonable rate for the area, particularly when you consider that water is included in the rent. There are comparable condos nearby that are newer, but are about $300 more per month.

I'm also offering $200 off the first month's rent.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Try other classifieds (than Craigslist) like your local paper and rental/condo paper... It's been known that there are rental scams on Craigslist so maybe people are not as trusting of the listings on it.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Try other classifieds (than Craigslist) like your local paper and rental/condo paper... It's been known that there are rental scams on Craigslist so maybe people are not as trusting of the listings on it.
    I thought about my local paper but they wanted almost $80 for a 3-line weekend listing...that's extortion!

I don't know about any of the other local papers; maybe they'd be useful.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

That's the thing though...people seriously looking to rent would know that you are also serious about renting your place out that you paid money to put your ad up in the paper. I would consider that fact if I'm looking for a place.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Does your Homeowners Association have an office onsite? If so, I would make sure to alert them that you are looking for a sublet. Will they allow you to post a For Lease sign at the entrance? This might help to target people that are already in the process of looking in your vicinity.
    Playful~

Did you include pics in your craigslist ad? That helps people get an idea of whether the place is really their style, so you avoid most of the people who don't really like it. Repost your ad.

Also, maybe right now is not a high demand sort of time. If your area has students, they tend to move in/out around fall I think. Or maybe your area isn't really hot right now for leasing/subleasing.

Is your sublease for a very short period of time, like 6 months? Might be a factor, make sure people know before coming by. Otherwise just keep trying, give it more time. The $200 off offer seems like a good enough incentive to me.

Make sure you have all clutter & personal things out. Needs to look shiny clean & fresh, Also-closets look better with just a scant few items. Picture is a must on CL. Use Glade plug ins with fresh smell.
    Look at it with new eyes-make it move-inable with no effort. Good luck!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

We're trying to do the same thing because we're moving to LA from Orange County. The market here is saturated with rentals. People that couldn't sell their houses are renting them out.

A*O

1. Craigslist AKA Scammer Central isn't the best place to advertise. You will have to fork out some $$$ to advertise in a more 'reputable' place and you will be taken more seriously and probably get a more reputable tenant. $80 for 3 weeks' advertising doesn't seem excessive?

2. Make sure the rent you asking is comparable to other places in the area.

3. You have to 'sell it' so the place has to be IMMACULATE. Like, Show Home perfect. No clutter, no smells, not too 'personal', and spotlessly clean. Make it look like someone could move in tomorrow.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlayfulKisses View Post
    Does your Homeowners Association have an office onsite? If so, I would make sure to alert them that you are looking for a sublet. Will they allow you to post a For Lease sign at the entrance? This might help to target people that are already in the process of looking in your vicinity.
    Already tried that; the HOA president told me snottily that "there will be no signs on the property". She's such a fucking bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Did you include pics in your craigslist ad? That helps people get an idea of whether the place is really their style, so you avoid most of the people who don't really like it. Repost your ad.

Also, maybe right now is not a high demand sort of time. If your area has students, they tend to move in/out around fall I think. Or maybe your area isn't really hot right now for leasing/subleasing.

Is your sublease for a very short period of time, like 6 months? Might be a factor, make sure people know before coming by. Otherwise just keep trying, give it more time. The $200 off offer seems like a good enough incentive to me.
    Every ad has had pics; the area is not popular with students. The sublease is through August 2008 but there's an option to renew the lease for another year if they choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    1. Craigslist AKA Scammer Central isn't the best place to advertise. You will have to fork out some $$$ to advertise in a more 'reputable' place and you will be taken more seriously and probably get a more reputable tenant. $80 for 3 weeks' advertising doesn't seem excessive?
    You're right, that is a reasonable price. The $80 is for three days though: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I may break down and do it in next weekend's paper after all, I'm tired of not getting many nibbles.

2. Make sure the rent you asking is comparable to other places in the area.
    The rent will be what I'm paying now except for the first month. I've done my homework and for the square footage it would be hard to beat this price. It also has an attached garage which is rare in this area. The problem is everybody wants new, new, new and this complex of condos was built in 1983. It looks much newer than that and is extremely well-maintained, i.e. it doesn't scream EIGHTIES! but there's a brand-spanking new apartment complex right across the street. What a lot of the yuppies don't know is new complexes in Texas are built with paper-thin walls. This on the other hand is a condo...the shared walls are thick and I never hear the neighbors. There's nobody living above me and nobody living below me. You could hear a pin drop in this place.

3. You have to 'sell it' so the place has to be IMMACULATE. Like, Show Home perfect. No clutter, no smells, not too 'personal', and spotlessly clean. Make it look like someone could move in tomorrow.
    All I can do is keep it clean; I don't own the unit so I can't make any other cosmetic changes. It comes unfurnished.
    Last edited by Tati; February 4th, 2008 at 08:54 AM.

A*O

So is it empty now? Surprisingly, that puts some people off because they just can't imagine what it will look like with their furniture in it. If you still have your stuff in there my suggestion #3 still applies.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    So is it empty now? Surprisingly, that puts some people off because they just can't imagine what it will look like with their furniture in it. If you still have your stuff in there my suggestion #3 still applies.
    No, it's not empty; we live here and all our stuff is here. We don't have all that much stuff, though; it's not like it's packed in tight. I think it's tastefully furnished and looks comfy and warm. We're not going anywhere until we get the lease reassigned; we don't want to pay rent in a place where we're not living and there's no guarantee of getting another tenant. There's 7 months left on the lease.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Do you have a no subletting clause in your lease? The people you actually rent from don't mind you doing this? Just stick it out until your lease is up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information