Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite architecture for places of worship

Default Favorite architecture for places of worship

I have never cared for modern churches because they seem to lack any historical root, especially in the US. Here is a modern design that seems to defy my negative point of view.

Temppeliaukion kirkko

Temppeliaukio Church was built in 1968-1969. It was designed by the architect brothers, Timo and Tuomo Suomalainen. The church is built into solid rock, therefore, it is also known as the Church of the Rock. Natural light brightens the inside through 180 glasses between the dome and the wall. The church is often used for concerts, because of the excellent acoustics. Temppeliaukio Church is one of the most famous tourist attractions in Helsinki.

Look at my avatar-that is an over hundred year old Methodist chapel in Mississippi. My Great grandparent are buried there as well as Grandparents & father. It is the most beautiful,soothing church with a clear, lovely bell used every Sunday and for every funeral.There is such a peace around it that it can restoreth your soul.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

That is beautiful, McJag. How many people attend there on Sundays? It seems so peaceful. The population can't be more than 40?

A*O

Visit any Greek or Russian Orthodox church, especially for a major festival like Easter and be blown away by the gold, the icons, the incense, the sheer womb-like candlelit opulence. It overwhelms the senses and I found it to be a deeply spiritual experience.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    That is beautiful, McJag. How many people attend there on Sundays? It seems so peaceful. The population can't be more than 40?
    The church is well tended by rural families-all of whom have people buried to the left of the church. I don't really know the numbers, but 40 families would be close. I do know that if someone in your family dies,they form a cocoon of warmth around you and the church women feed the entire funeral party with the most fabulous food-all homegrown,cooked from scratch.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    I have never cared for modern churches because they seem to lack any historical root, especially in the US. Here is a modern design that seems to defy my negative point of view.

Temppeliaukion kirkko

Temppeliaukio Church was built in 1968-1969. It was designed by the architect brothers, Timo and Tuomo Suomalainen. The church is built into solid rock, therefore, it is also known as the Church of the Rock. Natural light brightens the inside through 180 glasses between the dome and the wall. The church is often used for concerts, because of the excellent acoustics. Temppeliaukio Church is one of the most famous tourist attractions in Helsinki.
    i looked this up after i read about it in john irving's last novel and i was amazed by it. now i really want to see it in person. now i just need to go to finland!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I love old churches and everyplace i visit i make sure to see as much as possible..i am not religious at all,but they are part of the people,s culture..very interesting.
    I admit though that inside some of them i feel a special"something".
    And yes,A*O,Easter in our churches is quite an experience.
    My dad,atheist and communist,spend the holy week at church,he loved the hymns,the candles,the smell of violets and the faith in people,s faces..
    He used to say that Jesus was the first and best communist...
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Hit By Ban Bus!

I don't care for modern churches either, though there are a couple that are OK, like the one pictured and one I mention below.

I love the sound of McJag's church, it sounds like a wonderful place! I grew up going to church every Sunday and I love going to churches that are traditional and old-looking. In SF there are some amazing old churches, including Russian Orthodox. Old First Church on Van Ness @ Sacramento Street is wonderful too. I like St. John's Presbyterian in Berkeley (near People's Park, ha!) because it goes down into a kind of pit, and is almost a half moon. It's modern. They use it for ethnic music and dance concerts. In Portland I love the main Catholic Cathedral, and the old Unitarian Universalist Church downtown. Old churches have a wonderful feel IMO. And I simply must visit Chartres Cathedral in France someday (thought to be built according to the master masons' compass/sacred geometry architecture).

If you live in the Los Angeles area, drive out the 210 freeway to Sierra Madre Avenue and hang a left (toward the mountains). There's a little picturesque church up there that is amazing. It's tiny, and looks like something straight out of England. They used to keep it open so you could go in and sit there quietly if you wanted to. I don't know about now.

The church is on the right as you're going up the street. It's a very treed lot. I'll look for the name of it.
    Last edited by Mira; November 13th, 2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo

I'm not religious in the least, but I do love old churches for the splendor and quiet reverence they command.

When I lived in Barcelona last year I got pictures of the Sagrada Familia, Gaudí's masterpiece which began construction around the 1900's and is still undergoing major construction of the interior. I love the stained glass the most.

Another church in the old city, Santa Maria del Pi during a big mass:

This isn't really a church, but it's the meditation center on my state university campus in Florida. They technically couldn't call it a church or chapel since it was built on state property and it's not a traditional church, but it has beautiful gothic elements, it's on a lake and is breath-taking anyway.

Husband and I got married here because we didn't want a church as neither one of us is religious, but it was a beautiful spot on the campus where we fell in love.
    /sappiness

i love the sagrada familia as well. it's just amazing.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Oh my,Beeyotch! Both of those are breathtaking! I love the meditation center-what a marvelous place to get married.

Gold Member

Some mosques and cathedrals are so gorgeous.

I was going to say the Sagrada Familia, we went to see it this year on our honeymoon and it is quite startling. The interior is full of scaffolding at the moment but it is still amazing.

I love the old time church buildings..the one I used to go to downtown is over 150 years old and has such beautiful woodwork stonework, and stained glass. Churches like this should be kept and renovated if necessary at all costs-I see them as historical treasure. The one tall, beautiful old church in this little town is now for sale.-the congregation grew..and parking etc. plus space became a problem so now they are relocated in a fuck-ugly modern building with acres of parking by the freeway. I wish they could have espanded or did something to stay in the historic beautful church.

Other ones(kinds) I like

Temple Emmanuel in Dallas
    Crystal Cathedral( he sucks, but the building is a wonder)
    Notre Dame
    many cathedrals in Europe(Cologne, Ulm, etc.)
    The main Cathedral in Brasilia(one of the few buildings I like in that city)

And most of all..FrauenKirche in Dresden..absolutely gorgeous and FINALLY rebuilt!!

some pics of Frauenkirche: (chursh of our Lady)

Before:

After:

Reconstructed:

Interior today:

Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

WOW, Beeyotch, that first picture is amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information