Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning and organizing

Default Cleaning and organizing

So after finishing a large job this week and neglecting my own house for the past 3 weeks I decided to start in one corner of one room of the house and sort, throw away, organize and clean from one side of the house to the other.

It's been 2 hours and I'm still in the first room.

What I have discovered is that my better half is a bad with his boots, shoes and clothes as I am with my magazines and books.

Share your stories of cleaning woes and/or tips!!!
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Like you I start with good intentions, then get bored and end up posting here as a distraction.

I am currently selling loads of clothes and dvds cds etc on Ebay in an attempt to clear away clutter and make some money!

I just started in my bedroom last week, and from just one side of the bed, I have 4 boxes for charity, and one huge trash bag!

Top that girls!

I went from a size 18/20 to a 14/16 almost 2 years ago, and never got rid of the clothes that didn't fit, just kept tossing them around to make room for the hoards of new clothes. I'm awful. I'm the only one who goes in my bedroom anyway (hell, no one else can fit in there with all the shit!)

At work, everything must be spotless, organized, etc. My living room and kitchen are usually close to company ready, but my bedroom, forget it!

(I grew up with a mother who would dump my dresser out if she found something that wasn't folded just perfect, so it feels good to let it get messy, my son's room is the same way, I just shut the door, he only cleans it when he's having friends over. I could care less.)

hahahha i washed my car and my other halfs car... i collected 2 bags of trash in his car including a bottle of extremely stiff looking ice coffee. Yummy!!
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well you get the prize for doing the work

Last weekend I took apart my desk and moved it by myself clear across the apartment. Then I moved my 100-yr-old one-ton upright maple piano to where the desk was. I am so much happier!

I firmly believe that re-arranging one's house is when you finally get it completley clean, ha!! I love those "baby wipe" floor wipes. I don't use a mop handle, I just get down on all fours and use therm, then after it dries I rub down the wood floor with lemon oil. Really don't like hardwood floors, but they're beautiful (from 1941) and as time passes I'm actually start to like not having wall-to-wall carpet.

1) Pretend the health department called and is sending an Inspector by in 2 hours. OK-I have a vivid imagination,but it works on me.
    2) restyle your rooms. Rules: you have to use the same stuff but in different ways & change pictures etc. Anything not used goes out-poor or trash. Same with clothes.Stack old magazines to go with you next doctors appointment or drop by nursing home.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm on my third computer in 10 years. Tell me why I have saved the other two CPU towers in the storage closet. They don't work.

I've given these books to friends. People complain A LOT about their stuff. Purge weekly I say!

^^I wish you could come here and purge and decorate for me, in between glasses of wine and plates of food of course!

I find throwing things away, or keeping them aside to take to the charity shop really therapeutic. I love getting rid of stuff! It totally changes the energy of the place. I wish I had realized this earlier in life, because my god, I spent years as a pack rat, collector, hoarder!

Purging feels really freeing.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

It is liberating, I need to do it more often and not just when I move. That said, I do get rid of stuff every spring/fall, but it's not enough! Plus, I live with a packrat who makes me look like a minimalist.

I have a garage sale every stinking year. I cannot stand clutter! I just don't keep stuff. The hubby and my son are totally different beasts though - they're both packrats and it drives me crazy. I go around and throw stuff out without them knowing it. I figure if they don't notice it....ever....they didn't really need it in the first place. I have one drawer where I keep various important stuff of my son's, but everything else goes in the trash, garage sale or Goodwill.

My MIL brought over like ten boxes of stuff from my hubby's childhood and he wanted to keep it all. I was like "cleats from second grade soccer? You've got to be kidding me, right?" And broken Star Wars toys. He said "those would be worth money if they were still in the box." I said "how much do you think they're worth in the trash?" as I tossed them in.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Yes, I need to get rid of things regularly. Just make a habit of it.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I'm on my third computer in 10 years. Tell me why I have saved the other two CPU towers in the storage closet. They don't work.

I've given these books to friends. People complain A LOT about their stuff. Purge weekly I say!

OMG!!!!!!!!! Are we separated at birth, or what?
    I, too, have 2 computers that I still have to copy the hard disk from
    in my home!!! And working on my third PC since 2000!

As far as cleaning and organizing goes: boxes, boxes, boxes.
    Not plain cardboard, but those beautiful white laminated
    cardboard ones, that you can fold back up when you don't need
    them. You save so much space and are able to find things
    within minutes, when you label the boxes. We have fewer
    closets now, yet, thanks to the boxes, much more space.
    Ideal.
    And the rules to purge and clean are:
    1) If you haven't used it in 2 years: throw it out (either to a recycling store or just out)
    2) If you don't even know what to use it for: throw it out
    3) Dust and vacuum regularly, not when you can't see the floor or furniture anymore,
    way easier and quicker to just keep it up.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Some organizer said this......For every one thing you bring into the house, get rid of one thing.

I offer some organizing when I'm working but people are funny about their stuff. My pet peeve is why EVERYTHING has to be displayed. I like things to be put away. Kitchen counters? Omg. I just don't want to see five bottles of olive oil and every spice you own.

Hear me roar! Separate baskets for you mail and magazines! Baskets!

HWBL.......tell us about your video collections...hehe.

How do you keep those tidy?

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    I said "how much do you think they're worth in the trash?" as I tossed them in.
    That's the funniest thing I've heard today!
    Last edited by Tati; October 22nd, 2007 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    HWBL.......tell us about your video collections...hehe.

How do you keep those tidy?
    Easy: We don't have as many as you may think (I am in the process of
    throwing out all videos that I'm able to replace with DVD's, and if and
    when we have the time, we try to copy videos that aren't released on
    DVD yet, on DVD, but LP, so you need less space for more material) and
    I keep them in the much hailed white, labeled, boxes!!!!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information