Thread: Question for you with a green thumb!

Default Question for you with a green thumb!

I am not very good with plants, and I have somehow managed to keep 2 pots of ivy alive for about 6 months now!
    I noticed last night and this morning that some of the leaves are getting a purple/pink tint to them...they are 2 different species (have no clue what, though, one has small pointy leaves and one has the larger rounder leaves) and they are in 2 different places. One is at home in the kitchen window and the other is at work in the window...they both seem to be thriving, I see new leaves all the time....
    Advice, please!!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Re: Question for you with a green thumb!

Don't overwater...it's the fastest way to kill a plant. Keep away from cold drafts if you're living in a cold climate. And give 'em some lurve, baby!
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I had that happened before, and I was told that it's because they're cold. If you're in the southeast.... then... I don't know if that would be the issue. lol. Are they variegated (with white/yellowish markings)? Some variegated ivies have pink coloring that comes out in the right light.

Generally, just make sure you don't overwater... keep them slightly moist but not wet, fertilize them, check them for insects like spider mites... rinse them off if you find any.

Only water them once a week...I let the dirt get dry before I water them and I talk to them all the time!! I tell them how pretty they are and how much they are growing! My hubby thinks I am a nut!!
    I live in Northwest Mississippi and we have had a few days/nights that get cold, but nothing too harsh-you think it could be the cold?
    And I am a complete geographic retard!! I am more southcentral US I think!!
    Neither are varigated, muchlove...

Well, I don't know. I doubt that whatever it is will kill them... I just looked up a list of diseases common with ivy and didn't see anything like that. Just keep doing what you're doing and they'll probably be fine.

I have one pot of ivy and it's just barely hanging on... lol. I don't have any windows that get enough light, so it's really struggling. I had it under a plant light for a while, and that helps, but they're too expensive to keep replacing.

Thread Information