Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yard sales!!!

Talking Yard sales!!!

So I am taking some things to the trailer park yard sale today. Yesterday my dad made $185.00 on assorted stuff.

Any guesses on what a 15 year old(but perfect working condition) Sodium 1000 Watt 'Artificial Sun" High Intensity Growlight(cost $300.00 then..bulb alone was $80.00) will fetch(if anything)? I do not even know how much to ask for it. And I only used it for legal plants thanks! Damn that town is pothead heaven so someone should want it right?

Do you like/go to yard sales? What do you think of them?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Start at 150 & be prepared to come down. You want rid of it, after all!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Start at 150 & be prepared to come down. You want rid of it, after all!
    ok sounds good-I was thinking $100.00 but will start at $150.00

Silver Member

I just had a yard sale a couple of weekends ago. Never again. People just irritated the hell out of me. One little old lady grabbed a bunch of stuff, put it in her car and then came to pay me. Well I had no idea what she had taken, so I had to go to her car and then fight with her because she set her own prices. Unreal!! Another wanted everything for a dollar. I had new shoes that I had never used, that I was selling for $2. She kept bugging the hell out of me to sell them for $1, I refused. I believe $2 for brand new shoes, is reasonable. I probably would have sold them for $1, but she irritated the hell out of me and made it sound like I was being greedy for asking so much for them. Keep in mind that the only expensive thing I had was a foldable playpen that I was selling for $10. Everything else was between $.25 to $2. I wanted to get rid of everything. Maybe I just had a bad crowd, but it totally turned me off the ever having one again.

sounds interesting ~~ Nothing kinda this happens here !!

$2 for shoes is a deal. That lady was just a hardcore haggler. I think the rule of thumb for them is "if they're willing to go that low, they might be willing to go for half." Plus they know you want to get rid of stuff. So they lowball you. Probably works a lot of the time if they keep their attitude in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky32 View Post
    I just had a yard sale a couple of weekends ago. Never again. People just irritated the hell out of me. One little old lady grabbed a bunch of stuff, put it in her car and then came to pay me. Well I had no idea what she had taken, so I had to go to her car and then fight with her because she set her own prices. Unreal!! Another wanted everything for a dollar. I had new shoes that I had never used, that I was selling for $2. She kept bugging the hell out of me to sell them for $1, I refused. I believe $2 for brand new shoes, is reasonable. I probably would have sold them for $1, but she irritated the hell out of me and made it sound like I was being greedy for asking so much for them. Keep in mind that the only expensive thing I had was a foldable playpen that I was selling for $10. Everything else was between $.25 to $2. I wanted to get rid of everything. Maybe I just had a bad crowd, but it totally turned me off the ever having one again.
    I hate them too. That is why I am going to let my dad do the selling stuff. I will just give him some of the profits. He is good at that kind of thing-the people would bug the shit out of me too.

I love yard sales and am planning one now i'm moving and getting rid of a lot of shit I have no room same thing as you Soj moving to a trailer there just isn't a lot of room in one. I agree with McJag ask 150 and let them barter if it's pothead heaven someone will want it
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

A*O

If you advertise a yard sale here (we call them garage sales) then expect the doorbell to start ringing at about 4am by a bunch of Russian babushkas who will haggle you down to the nearest 5c. Why are little old ladies such bitches? They bring their 300lb grandson Boris along too to loom in the background guarding their stash of crap.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

i like yard sales, but I hate having them. I dragged my little brother with me on friday and bought a bunch of books and a designer purse that still looked new for $2. I also got some play clothes for my niece and some house plants.

Well the place was dead today..did not sell one solitary thing.

*We call them both 'yard' sale or 'garage' sale here..both are used pretty much evenly.

Aw...maybe it's best to go in on a sale with your neighbours. I've done that and it tends to generate more business.

hah, i helped my friend out with his yard sale and we didnt haggle at all.

They kept trying to whittle, and we're like nope. As is. No reductions.

I got a nifty white mod coffee table out of it.. a bit space-1999
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I hate having yard/garage sales, some of the people annoy the shit outta me. I hate hagglers, probably 'cause I'm not very good at it. We also have the dumbasses who show up 3 hours before the posted start time to try to get a jump on the sales. There's too much bullshit and work involved. On the other hand, I love hitting other sales. I don't show up early, I don't try to haggle, I just go to find interesting items.

Gold Member

I've never been to a yard sale, though driven by many. I didn't know people haggled at them either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information