Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furniture advice

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Default Furniture advice

Hey ya'll.
    Situation--We are moving in July. It is new construction but we are just leasing it. The house has medium-dark wood floors in the living room and sort of an odd color of taupe on the walls with white trim. The carpet in the bedrooms is that burber shag stuff (which I am not nuts about) and it has ceramic tile in wet areas.

I am getting new living room furniture and am not going to spend loads (i.e. No Ethan Allen). I have been looking at Ashley Furniture. I am thinking about keeping the colors cool- beige, off-white, sage green. I found this sofa and this chair and ottoman. They are not part of the same set but I like the idea of them together. What do you think? Do you think this color combo would work or should I keep it all the same color? This particular sofa doesn't have a coordinating chair in the same fabric. The chair is covered in the fabric of the pillows, which I don't care for.

Also, there are no small children in my life. My niece is 15. I think the light sofa would survive.

and this rug if it is still available at another store:

I am trying to appease a fiance who has very modern or contemporary tastes and make myself happy. I tend to really like the cottage style which he abhors. We were also considering a red sofa (not with this chair of course) but my cats have light colored hair and I can see that being a nightmare to keep clean.

Your choices look nice and neutral -- you might consider a splash of yellow or burnt ochre (cushions?) to brighten things up a little. I like the rug.

I probably wouldn't keep those cushions. For the walls, we have some really really nice pics we took in England. I thought about having them printed in 8X10 and frame them in black with a linen matte.

I also just realized I meant to post this in random talk. Sheesh.

hmm... might want to try something with more straight lines, but still cooshy and nice to sit on
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i want that chair damnit! and that footstool thingy! but i want it in red

I know....wonder if zee puddycats would mind being shaved so Mommy could have red furniture?

We are going this weekend to look for furniture. I like a sofa that is comfy but I dont like those where you sink down. They are too hot.

Ooo I like white furniture, I love creams and browns/chocolates.

Is the middle chair green or is it the photo? It looks comfy anyway!

The rugs quite busy for my taste but it goes with the furniture

A*O

Hmmmmmm I'm a colour freak so it's all a bit samey beigey for my taste. The furniture is OK (I prefer the green) but I'd pick a much brighter rug with cushions to match. A touch of red, terracotta or a burnt orange in any room always works well IMO.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^ITA. I have a sea green leather couch and loveseat and they go with so many things. I have a lot of orange, red, brown and gold accents -- it's kind of a tropical effect. I have a big cream, piano-shaped marble and cherrywood coffee table with a matching large, square end table. It all works somehow.

THANKS to whomever moved this for me!!

Good advice--I am going to try to pull some color in. I think red pillows on the couch (those are just the pillows that come with it) and try to get a rug with cream, beige, and red as mentioned. My dream, and original intention, was to do a red, white, and black living room but it just wouldn't work with the kitties. I love sage green or any shade of green actually. That is why I like that chair.

When we sign the lease on the house, I plan to take some really detailed pics so I can use them for reference when buying stuff before we move. I will post them so you have a better idea. Thanks for the advice!! My fiance isn't sure about the couch and chair. I think he thinks they should be the same color. I think I like that they aren't.

I like that they aren't the same too. That would be a bit matchy-matchy for my tastes. I think you've chosen really good basic pieces that will go well with any room and can go with many different looks depending on the other furniture and accessories that go into your space.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

My sister travels all over the world with her job at a non-profit. She has some beautiful tapestries from various places like Africa and countries in Europe. I need to smuggle some of those in my suitcase when I visit. lol
    That or have her get me some out of the gift store at work. They sell items from around the world to help promote the countries. Oooo. Idea!!

Edit--here is a rug that would introduce some of the colors you all have mentioned. It isn't my sort of thing but my Brit loves it.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by DoveFeatheredRaven; June 14th, 2007 at 01:23 PM.

A*O

That rug is much better, loving the reds but there's still a lot of beige. Personally I'd go bolder still but it depends on what you are planning to hang on your walls and your window treatments. The only other advice with the rug is don't skimp on size. A too-small rug in the middle of the room looks ridiculous. Are you getting these rug pics from a website? Give us the link and we'll pick our faves!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

http://http://www.ashleyfurniture.com/
    If the link doesn't work, go to ashleyfurniture.com and select the showroom option.

We are going to the store on Saturday. I know they have the furniture but figure they will have other rugs but then again they may just carry what is on the website. Who knows?
    I am going to the house tomorrow and taking pics. I will post the ones of the living room so you can see what I am working with.
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by DoveFeatheredRaven; June 15th, 2007 at 07:30 AM.

I think you're smart to go with neutral colors for the big furniture pieces because you'll be stuck with it for awhile. You can always put color in accents or in paint. Good luck!
    Last edited by Picara; June 14th, 2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: speeeling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information