Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'M MOVING! Need advice quick!

Default I'M MOVING! Need advice quick!

Help! I haven't moved in mega years! Just 28 miles away but it might as well be to the moon! Scheduled for June 15th-brand new house. Just finished being built-we saw it & jumped. Now I get nervous! It's Butt's fault. We are some kind of wierd twins-when she said she was moving I swear this idea was not in my head! The moving company wants to pack us too-I dunno about that. Wise?
    Need to know where you went right, what you did wrong and what to look out for. I'm clueless! HELP ME PLEASE!!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Moving company i've had no experience with sorry hun. I always had to pack my own and I hated it but I always purge as i pack so I throw away a lot of junk I don't need
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

i am very anal when we move. i dont let ANYONE touch the boxes, i pack it myself. i label EVERY SINGLE BOX. kitchen items, baking items, books, even down to Debs shirts, Scotts pants, everything. it makes it so much easier when moving. i do have a 'crap box' where i put stuff in that have nowhere to go. when i eventually open it, its like Christmas. Good luck! (i'll be sending John Travolta over to help!)
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    i am very anal when we move. i dont let ANYONE touch the boxes, i pack it myself. i label EVERY SINGLE BOX. kitchen items, baking items, books, even down to Debs shirts, Scotts pants, everything. it makes it so much easier when moving. i do have a 'crap box' where i put stuff in that have nowhere to go. when i eventually open it, its like Christmas. Good luck! (i'll be sending John Travolta over to help!)
    Right-like you'd trust ME with him! lol
    I have started with my books, but they said if they don't pack the china they won't pay if it is damaged in transit! Worrying.
    I tossing out things like mad,Shedevilang-my sister came over (she is ruthless) and pushed me on a lot. I still have a ways to go!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i'd drive the china in well packed boxes over myself.
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I think you are right-Hubby's deceased Mom left us her 24 place stettings of Wedgewood & I'd faint if something got broken on my watch.

I used Starving Students in California and what a goddam scam. They took more breaks (and yes they were paid by the hour) then offered to work for cash off the clock but had all our stuff in their truck while they "offered" this great deal. More breaks. And then tried to sell me stuff (pay now and we'll bring it over this afternoon). Get personal references first is my advice. Yellow pages LIE!
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    I used Starving Students in California and what a goddam scam. They took more breaks (and yes they were paid by the hour) then offered to work for cash off the clock but had all our stuff in their truck while they "offered" this great deal. More breaks. And then tried to sell me stuff (pay now and we'll bring it over this afternoon). Get personal references first is my advice. Yellow pages LIE!
    wow! we see their trucks here in San Diego all of the time. we saw one broken down on the freeway, and i honestly wanted to get them a tow truck, but didnt. i guess the 'starving students' name threw me off!
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I always do this, too. Anything I really value, I pack and move myself. Of course, sometimes I need a truck to do it!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Alot of moving companies now insist on doing the packing and unpacking for insurance reasons. This way if anything gets broken, everyone sees and there is no dispute. Anyway, of course you're moving, mcjag...we are on the same wavelength and must act in unison. Where are you headed to?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Alot of moving companies now insist on doing the packing and unpacking for insurance reasons.
    Yes. Get them to pack but if you have anything really precious that you'd hate to see damaged/broken even if it is insured then do it yourself and drive it over to the new place yourself.

BUT before they come in then you have to do a MAJOR purge of all the crap because they will pack everything and I mean EVERYTHING, even the junk. Anything you have not worn, used, thought about or needed in the last 2 years (apart from sentimental stuff) goes into the dumpster, the garage sale or to a charity shop. No exceptions.

Oh and re-telling a previous story - if you have any, ahem, 'toys' then pack them yourself too. A friend of mine forgot she had a couple of Mr Buzzy's hidden in her wardrobe and only remembered when she unpacked them, carefully labelled and wrapped in tissue paper by the packers, about 2 weeks after she moved
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Oh and re-telling a previous story - if you have any, ahem, 'toys' then pack them yourself too. A friend of mine forgot she had a couple of Mr Buzzy's hidden in her wardrobe and only remembered when she unpacked them, carefully labelled and wrapped in tissue paper by the packers, about 2 weeks after she moved
    Omg! and LABELLED! How thoughtful! One many years ago (I'm an Army brat) we moved from Germany & movers packed the kitchen garbage! In our household goods-which took 2 months to arrive.YUK.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

So, you aren't really a TExas girl...you're a nomad, like me. That explains a few things. Now, I repeat...WHERE ARE YOU MOVING TO?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I never want to move again. I've never used a moving company so I cannot offer any experience there. I'm strictly a do-it-yourselfer.

I've always packed fragile items well wrapped in the household linens then placed those boxes inside the chest freezer. No chance of them being crushed in there! Then unwrap them while sitting on the floor so nothing can roll off of a table. Moved four times with a 150 year old set of Limoges and never lost a piece.

Books are always heavy and need smaller boxes so they are liftable. Liquor store boxes are super because they are designed to hold heavy yet fragile contents. They're quite strong and not too large.

I never bothered to clear out chests of drawers. I'd just carry in or out the drawers as if they were boxes, move the carcass and then reassemble. Saves packing/unpacking time and I'd know where everything was.

Don't know if this is of any help. Good luck with the massive upheaval McJag!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

^^All great advice. It took several car trips and a big moving truck (owned by friends) to move us the last time. I'd LOVE to have someone do most of my packing for me, but there are some things that I simply have to do myself for peace of mind.

There are some good websites -- mostly from the major moving companies -- that offer some great packing tips.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information