Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about your neighbors?

Default How do you feel about your neighbors?

How do you like yours?
    Last edited by Picara; May 6th, 2007 at 10:49 AM.

I couldn't give a damn about them.

Silver Member

Mine are snobby. It must be a big city thing. They are not very friendly. Unfortunately it's all of them and not just one. I still smile and say hello, but it makes no difference.

Zee

Mine are great. Have a couple with children on one side and an older couple on the other side.

Perfect amount of waving, helping out and staying out of my hair. Love both sets of neighbors.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky32 View Post
    Mine are snobby. It must be a big city thing. They are not very friendly. Unfortunately it's all of them and not just one. I still smile and say hello, but it makes no difference.
    That is so weird. I've never experienced it in the extreme until yesterday, which is why I started a thread about it. I deleted my post because I thought I was overreacting. My new neighbor didn't wave to my daughter yesterday, twice. Still, I thought I was being paranoid or my daughter was mistaken. Then today as we were pulling in, she's standing there and I wave. Nothing. She just stares at me as I drive in the garage. Total weirdo.

So I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and believe that she's mentally challenged. My other neighbors are nice though.

I don't like them. two are nosy and the others are just loud all the time.

I feel lucky to have pretty great neighbors. On one side is a single 40-some year old woman who is somewhat of a recluse, but here and now we catch each other outside and I get her to talking. Really sweet woman. She always gets candy on Halloween just for my kids (we have almost NO other kids on my street) so they can run over and trick-or-treat at her house. She's come out of her shell a lot around us.

On the other side is another single woman, only she is in her 60s, and she is hilarious. Eccentric and maybe a little on the crazy side...but such a kind lady. I never thought I'd actually have a neighbor I could borrow an egg or some sugar from...but I have, several times, lol.

The rest of my neighbors are old and keep to themselves for the most part. There is one woman across the street that I avoid like the plague because she is an old, gossipy, cantankerous thing...talks crap about everyone and I always wonder what things she says about US to other people...since she has a nasty word about everyone. But she is really the only neighbor that bugs me in the slightest.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

My neighbours on one side are super Yuppies -- they have all the toys, and lots of money, and they are somewhat snobby. I tried to be friendly, but didn't get far. He is OK, but away a lot and she is your typical snooty West Van type who told me she bought her first house at 18 with her "investments." Her kids are brats. Oh well.

The people on the other side are a retired couple. She's friendly enough, but I've never seen her husband. He is an invalid. I wave to her and exchange pleasantries a few times a year.

Our downstairs neighbours -- now that's another story. Very odd couple. He collects all kinds of disability for his bad back, but runs a house renovation business! She is very secretive and devious -- everything I have ever said to her has been reported back to the landlord to her benefit, so now I no longer speak to her. She is constantly "between jobs" and owns various properties around town but lives like a pauper in Beverly Hillbillies-type surroundings.

They have never cut the lawn or recycled, and now have taken to throwing their garbage on the back lawn so that it can "compost." Er, plastic bags don't compost, plus it's illegal to leave garbage around as we have bears and all kinds of other wildlife around here. They tend to spread all their wood etc all over the front yard -- which is ours -- and we have had several flat tires due to their sloppiness.

His teenage kids spend a lot of time here and they slam doors constantly, use all the hot water up by 10 a.m. most days and just generally act in the same boorish way as the adults in their lives. It's sad, because I thought we might be friends with them, but now I just try to stay out of their way. The landlord tried to evict them, and they refused to leave, so he caved in.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; May 7th, 2007 at 01:22 PM.

Well I only really have one since I live on the corner. They are an extended family of Cambodians and they keep to themselves. As long as they keep their lawn mowed I do not care what they do. They do like to grill things out all year long..never have invited me to eat anything though..*hmmph*

the rest of the neighbors are mostly renters who move in and out frequently...I never see anyone really. A mix of young, old, black, white, hispanic, asian, etc. in this neighborhood. A nice looking middle aged guy lives behind me but I have only spoken to him a couple times. I never see the gay couple down the street anymore..and the gay guy who rented on the other side is no longer living here. Most of the older residents who were here when I moved here 20 years ago have died off unfortunately.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

A*O

We are very lucky and have a great bunch of neighbours all around us. We have regular 'street parties' when everyone gets together for a barbie and a gossip. There's a few weirdos but they are nice weirdos and we certainly don't have any problems with noise or anti-social behaviour.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'm near the end of a small street, so I only have two houses to the south of me, and maybe ten to the north, mirrored on the other side of the street of course. Up until recently, I only really knew my two sets of neighbours to the south, and they are amazing people - a Scottish lady and her late-twenties Dead-head son, who we socialize with quite frequently; and an Indian family with a very hard-working father who's constantly improving the house and yard. The three of us all mow each other's lawns, clean each other's eaves, share a communal lawnmower, that type of thing. And the first family is actually giving my future in-laws the use of their house when they come down in July (they will be travelling and our house will be overflowing).

Just this past week, we've been doing some minor renovations and landscaping, and came to meet a good bunch of our other neighbours. Turns out the group to our north lives pretty much the same way - sharing lawn equipment and chores, minding each other's kids, walking each other's dogs. My future mother-in-law who was here this week was incredibly impressed at the level of community - about a dozen or so kids of all backgrounds and ages all playing together and looking out for each other, with the parents actually present on the porches, talking amongst themselves and keeping an eye on the kids. I have to say I was impressed too. We don't live in a high-end area by any means, and people from smaller towns are always talking about the city being so large, cold and unfriendly... but I guess you can really make a community anywhere.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I like a few but hate the rest. And I mean HATE.

Since I'm not really a random people person, I've never really cared for neighbors. They are a necessary evil. I've had all kinds. Total crazies who I worried about burning down my house in the middle night or killing my dogs, to regular nut jobs who played video games in their garage all night, to regular people who I hardly ever saw.

But there's this one girl on our street (who I think is mentally disabled, but can't really tell). Every time I leave she is out walking her dog and she stares at me. To the point that she turns her head and startes as I drive by. I just stare back. I got to thinking a couple months ago that she probably goes home and says "you know that weird lady who drives the red car? She's so weird - she just stares at me every time she drives by." That would crack me up.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Most of mine are cool, although the guy downstairs is an absolute twat.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I used to think most of mine were really cool and now, I have mixed feelings. Most of them are cool but some of them are users. We have a couple that we thought we could be great friends with too. They were our age, unmarried, no kids and had dogs. We had enough in common that we could hang out, go to dinner, cook-out, etc. and just relax. Then, they started with the favors. Everytime we were together, it was something. Then, anytime the phone would ring, it was to ask us for something. It got to be annoying. They never, and when I say never I really mean it, called to chat or to see how we were. It was always for a favor. Finally, we stopped calling or returning their calls. They sort of got the hint, but just yesterday we were out for a walk with the dog and ran into them and their dogs. We were cordial and left it at that. Last night, at 9:30, they called and asked us for a favor! After not speaking for 2 months. So, it's like they never got the hint!! Ugh! And they ask for big favors, not money, but big things!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information