Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On the street where you live - tell us!

Default On the street where you live - tell us!

on the street where you live-what is it like?
    We all live in so many parts of the world, I am curious what your street is like, how is it different? Give us an idea!

Mine is in a residential area with nice houses-ours is one of the few 1 story homes. 3 houses down and across the street is a big greenbelt area. Trees (nice sized but never massive, since we are right over a layer of limestone, most trees cannot grow massive unless they get a lucky pocket of deep dirt.) We have a walking trail with mile markers-not paved, just mulch/bark. A shallow creek runs. At night-especially full moon ones-we can hear the coyotes howling-makes the hair stand up! Chilling. They are sometimes called prairie wolves. Two ran right in front of my car one day & I thought at first they were mangy,skinny German Shepherd's-they do not run the same, so finally it dawned on me! Our neighbors are nice and we chat, but aren't close friends with any.The houses are on small lots-not huge front yards. Maybe 10-20 feet apart.An alley runs behind were we all drive into garages.We have squirrels, rabbits and possums with an occasional big snake that comes out of the greenbelt after rains.In summer, we have as the song says, sunny days we think will never end! When we get snow it is cause for big excitement-we are all out in it. Kid just want a snowman so bad! Sometimes they get a medium one-not often. Day and night, people with their dogs walk past going to the greenbelt.My favorite family: a father and 2 children walking two very large dogs, who are elderly & pad slowly , tails wagging once a minute. They send my big dog(who watches at the front window) into hysterics. As if they are going to lumber in and take his toys any minute! They never even glance his way, but he remains ever hopeful!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Northeast Ohio

We're in an older neighborhood, but not old enough to be "cool", the homes were built in the late 60's, early 70's. A good majority of the residents here are seniors, so it's a nice, quiet neighborhood. No sidewalks. Large trees. Many homes have snowplows, snowmobiles, boats, campers, 4-wheelers, generators, and I'm sure even a few have a little "bomb shelter" hidden somewhere, stocked with canned goods, bottled water, etc. There are a few homes with gardens that are at least an acre.

We have deer that roam the neighborhood, as it's "out in the country", surrounded by wooded areas.

Several of us have swimming pools, two of us have in-ground pools (me).

The soil here has a lot of clay in it, so we are prone to flooding and mosquitos.

In the center of Athens,at the foot of the Acropolis hill.lots of cars and tourist buses,busy road,a few sickly looking trees.
    Mostly old people in here,old money,a few young couples,fewer kids.
    We smile a goodmornig and thats all..no chit chat or gossip.
    But i can see the Parthenon from my French windows,even from the kitchen.The house is two stories and the verandah upstairs has one of the best wews in the city.
    I grew up in the city,and i love the noice ,it sooths me
    I am missing the friendly attitude of my parents hometown,but not the gossip
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Both of you are living terrific lives! To have deer roaming or see the Parthenon! Perfect!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Here's a pic of my neighbourhood. Ignore the white USS Enterprise Shuttle Craft about to crash into the next street. It's from a kiddie school project and I can't photoshop it out.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Southern California.

I live on a quiet street, a few blocks of a major street, in a SoCal beach town. I live in a very eclectic, funky little pocket of a very conservative county, so my street is full of interesting people. Mostly singles, gay or straight couples with pets and some left over hippies from way back. Very few children, if any, are on my street. I am about 3 blocks from the ocean, five blocks from the canyon and steps from every kind of restaurant you can imagine. Not to mention the shops, coffee shops, salons, bars and clubs. We have tons of coyotes here and every now and again, mountain lions.

Soon, my street will be a little more suburban, as we are moving to a bigger place, with a big yard (and a pool) for my doggie.

Eli

Mine is in the rich part of town, on a No Through Road, used to have a beautiful arrays of sky-scraper tall pine trees across the road (not the traditional kind, more like the balding ones with mostly trunk- don't know what they're called) which actually looked like a really well-done, moving painting from the backyard. Even at night you could see their shadows against the orange sky from the city far away. We live in a one storey house and it's drafty! But the backyard is bleeping huge and beautiful. No gum trees at all. Hooray (I'm allergic).

Small town made famous by Steve Irwins zoo, Queensland.

i live on a no through road ..if you walk to the end of the street you are standing at the base of one of the Glasshouse Mountains. There is a strawberry and lychee farm across the road from me, cows down the road a little bit further and a macadamia tree plantation across the road from the cows. My street is pretty long but we only have 2 street lights (the joys of living in whoop whoop!) Kangaroos, possums and kookaburras are regulars in this neighbourhood.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Such a great thread,brava McJag,it is fascinating to learn about life in so many different places..
    I just want more,come on guys..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I know! Effie-just think! Some of our favorite people have kangaroos in the yard! I long for a kangaroo! A*O-will you embellish a bit? The picture is good even with the shuttle craft, but we want more! What is the flavor there??Don't say vanilla! What kind of houses etc?
    And Allie-what are gum trees? We have Sweetgums-it it the same? Tall with round cuckleberry things that drop? Love everyones post!

I live on a very ordinary, very boring street ... absolutely nothing of interest. One end of the street leads out of town, the other end stops at the harbour. The houses are all typical, normal houses ... bored yet?

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    I live on a very ordinary, very boring street ... absolutely nothing of interest. One end of the street leads out of town, the other end stops at the harbour. The houses are all typical, normal houses ... bored yet?
    Stops at the harbour?? What is boring and everyday to YOU is fascinating to US! I think you could do better! Typical houses single? Attached? sidewalks? trees? kangaroos in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Stops at the harbour??
    Well, if the street didn't stop, the cars would drive straight into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    Well, if the street didn't stop, the cars would drive straight into the water.
    Damn! That would be exciting! I just meant MOST of us are not by a harbour!!!!

Northeast Pennsylvania

I live about 40 minutes north of Philadelphia or 20 minutes from Allentown. We live one road over from a major road. Our road is highly traveled, but still considered a "back road". I am surrounded by the woods. Woods across the street, woods behind my house woods to the right of my house....houses to the left. Nothing ever happens here...most exciting thing that has happened lately? one of the presidents of a bank has suddenly been fired/resigned..and no one knows why. There is a very old small church across the street, all stone..beautiful. A general store right next to it that has been abandoned for years, i wish someone would buy it and make it a store again, its at least a 15 minute drive to a grocery store or any other store for that matter. Theres always lots of animals around. Thats about it, just a boring little place in the middle of no where...but i love it
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information