• 2 Post By Waterslide
  • 3 Post By Brookie
  • 4 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 3 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By czb
  • 1 Post By Shinola

Thread: Historic Home in Charleston, SC-Built in 1745

Default Historic Home in Charleston, SC-Built in 1745

Love historic houses? Check out this seven-bedroom, eight-and-a-half-bath house in Charleston, South Carolina. Built in 1745, the Capers-Motte house has been owned by only three families in the last 150 years, and the home has never before been listed on the open market. It follows a traditional double house format, with four principal rooms on each floor and a centrally located stairway.
    Know of a great House of the Day?

Get thee to the tipline and send us your suggestions.
    SEND US A TIP!

The 8,524-square-foot Georgian structure—one of the largest pre-Revolutionary houses in the city—was once the home of renowned painter and leader of the Charleston Renaissance, Alice Ravenel Huger Smith. Inside, the design reflects both the Georgian and Federal periods, with intricate woodwork on mantles, wainscoting, and moldings. Expansive nine over nine double sash windows flood the home with light, and each of the three floors boast 11-foot ceilings.
    Other perks include a large ballroom, drawing room, cypress paneled library, and 15 fireplaces, including one made from King of Prussia marble. The elegant interiors are supplemented by a beautiful yard. Five landscaped garden rooms are surrounded by high brick walls for privacy and a large oval pool—one of the first in downtown Charleston—is located among lush gardens. Love what you see? 69 Church Street is on the market now for $9,995,000.

*monthly payment $56,730.96

More photos: https://www.maisonchs.com/listings/v...ntial/20002555

I would definitely make it less fussy and more mine, but I like most of it. I know green walls are not popular, but I like those, just not with grandma's Laura Ashley window treatments. But the price seems steep (to me) for the location. There is no yard or privacy which would be fine in some place like NYC or London, but I feel like there are more spectacular, though possibly smaller, houses elsewhere in Charleston or SC in general where you wouldn't feel like you live on top of someone else.

ETA - is that a bathroom in the third picture? That seems like an odd place for one. You have all these windows and great views and then a toilet.
    Shinola and Lalasnake like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Cannot deal with the foofoo drapes everywhere.
    Beeyotch, palta and Lalasnake like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Kitchen cupboards and barnboard backsplash need to die.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

yeah how in the fuck can those froufrou nightmare grandma curtains co-exist in the same house as that godawful faux rustic cabin kitchen that looks like the result of a HGTV kitchen remodel gone horribly wrong?

so yeah, burn the curtains and bomb the kitchen and i'll take it. love the wood floors. the lack of land doesn't bother me because it's a city house, and it's basically in the heart of historic charleston.

eta: also, whoever took the photos clearly does not have OCD or they would have taken 3 seconds to straighten the wonky sconce in the 4th photo, and in the kitchen they would have flipped the pan that's hanging in the opposite direction of all the others. both of which are killing me.
    twitchy2.0, Brookie and Waterslide like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post

ETA - is that a bathroom in the third picture? That seems like an odd place for one. You have all these windows and great views and then a toilet.
    yeah, that is a bathroom. but it looks like it is off the dressing room to the bedroom. so maybe not so weird.

agree with you guys about the window treatments. pretty awful.

is the owner of this house related to that sleazebucket guy on Southern Charm? am embarrassed that i even recognize his last name.
    Waterslide likes this.

^I wondered if that was a bedroom. I'm sure it wasn't original to the house and got placed kinda wherever it would go.

I think not all the pics loaded for me last night because I didn't see the kitchen or the third set of nightmare drapes until now. That kitchen is ugly and bizarre and that last bedroom is just TOO Gone With the Wind, minus the ugly lamp and wacky 80s cat painting which are just weird.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Some details want changing but it’s a gorgeous house.
    DawnM74 likes this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Thread Information