Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By OrangeSlice
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By Kittylady

Thread: Carson Mansion Private Club

Default Carson Mansion Private Club

Carson Mansion

A HISTORIC LANDMARK of breathtaking grandeur on California’s rugged North Coast, the mansion was built by pioneer lumberman William Carson. It is now one of the most-photographed buildings in the world. CLUB

WHEN THE INGOMAR Club’s Carson Mansion was build in 1885, its splendor was unique even by the high standards of the 19th Century Victorian architecture. Today, after many years of renovation, members experience an unparalleled club environment of beauty and craftsmanship. It is not open to the public.
    Humboldt County's Premier Private Club
    INGOMAR MEMBERS and their guests are welcomed by fine dining and traditions of elegance and comfort– taking a unique excursion from the modern world into a vanished era of opulence.
    Not Open to the Public - No Public Tours Available
    DINING AT THE INGOMAR is notable for excellent food, attentive service and warm hospitality. The elegant main dining room and bar take in the panorama of coastal mountains and Eureka’s historic waterfront and marina. Richly appointed rooms are ideal settings for intimate dining, quiet conversation, private meetings or celebrations of family and friends.

Foyer

Entrance Hall

Parlor

Dining Room

Elegant Staircase

Sarah's Bedroom

Billiards/Ballroom

Staff Quarters

Windows

Upstairs Hallway

Yipes.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

LOL, I kind of love it. Not all of it, but it's so over the top Victorian spooky. I appreciate the Queen Anne/Bates Motel-ness of it. This place is pretty well known, isn't it?

I think it was meant to be kind of outrageous even when it was built:

Architectural style[edit]

The house is a mix of every major style of Victorian architecture, including but not limited to: Eastlake, Italianate, Queen Anne (primary), and Stick.[2] One nationally known architectural historian described the house as "a baronial castle in Redwood..." and stated further that "The illusion of grandeur in the house is heightened by the play on scale, the use of fanciful detail and the handling of mass as separate volumes, topped by a lively roofscape."[11]:266 The style of the house has been described as "eclectic" and "peculiarly American."[12]:65 Unlike most other houses dating from the period, this property always has been maintained, and is in nearly the same condition as when it was built.[12]
    In May 1964, the house was included in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) as catalog number CA-1911.[3] This is the only official historical building listing of the house. Although the historic house does merit National Register of Historic Places status, the private club has chosen not to apply for it.[citation needed]
    But anyway, is that supposed to be Thomas More on the stained glass?

"AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I normally like Victorian, but this is hideous. And people pay significant amounts of money to hang out here?
    czb and Brookie like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I like the bed in the staff quarters and the carved circular archways but the wall-to-wall carpeting always looks wrong to me in Victorian houses.

I agree about the wall to wall carpet myself, but I could see tacky, nouveau riche Americans thinking that was the thing to do in any century. lol

This really is the Versace mansion of Victorian times, but then I like the Versace mansion, too. Sometimes McMansions are just ugly and sometimes they're the home design version of camp - and there is artistry behind it, albeit OTT artistry - and I have to appreciate that. Sometimes.
    Novice likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I would gut the inside and paint the exterior black so it looked even more like The Addams Family mansion.
    OrangeSlice likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Thread Information