Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Anatomy of a renovation

Default Anatomy of a renovation

The walls were removed and there were no studs. Just lathe and thin sheetrock. I thought it would be fun for some to follow this project. I'll try to photograph the stages. Not sure what the decor will look like (not sure about her style quite yet), but I'm working hard on the textures and finishes.

Kitchen

Bathroom

BITTER likes this.

Oh I love a good remodel. Apartment or house?
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I love remodels and decorating. Can't wait to see the stages.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Oh, I should share pictures of my previous apartment, it was such a ruin when I bought it that I actually considered burning it to the ground to make remodelling easier

Good luck with the work !
    CornFlakegrl likes this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I'd love to see.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Oh I love a good remodel. Apartment or house?
    Apartment. It's supposta evoke a zen feeling like thang.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    Oh, I should share pictures of my previous apartment, it was such a ruin when I bought it that I actually considered burning it to the ground to make remodelling easier

Good luck with the work !
    Thanks. Post your photos in here!

Now we've got some studs and they're changing out pipes. One thing this apt will be is well lit. Client said she wanted even lighting all over. I'm doing soft LED fixtures which have no bulbs. The fixture is the bulb but the trim
    looks like a regular recessed light. I've just started to use LED's in ceilings because they've gotten better the past few years. They are much softer white like an incandescent light. They are really great for closets and undercabinet kitchen lights.

I'm warning you now, everything is going to be shades of gray, off white and charcoal. I'm trying to get her to kick it up with some accent colors.

[IMG][/IMG]

The top piece of wood are the kitchen cabinets and the bottom are the floors throughout. I'd call the floors a medium gray oak with a little brown.

The hardware will be brushed stainless. This client's personality is half friendly/half cold. No one has ever said anything I do is cold and uptight. This will have very clean lines and minimal decor but then you have to warm it up with art, photos, or even a fucking dishtowel. We'll see.

Love the cabinet / floor combo.

I'm doing soft LED fixtures which have no bulbs. The fixture is the bulb but the trim looks like a regular recessed light. I've just started to use LED's in ceilings because they've gotten better the past few years.
    I did a kitchen reno over the summer and this is what my electrician put in. Supposed to have a 20 year warranty on the lights. I think if they go out after 20 years you have to replace the whole thing. I've really liked them, though. Can't complain that there's no light. He also did undercabinet lighting too.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I got excited with the thread bump thinking Chalet had an update for us. Too soon, I know.

Love the cabinet / floor combo.
    Thanks. It's no fun unless I bitch, right? This is a "I'll know it when I see it" type of client. Okay, then please allow me to show you every single choice in the world and you take your time to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I did a kitchen reno over the summer and this is what my electrician put in. Supposed to have a 20 year warranty on the lights. I think if they go out after 20 years you have to replace the whole thing. I've really liked them, though. Can't complain that there's no light. He also did undercabinet lighting too.
    I'm so happy to hear that. If the light goes out in 20 years she won't be able to find me...

I got excited with the thread bump thinking Chalet had an update for us. Too soon, I know.
    Unless you're the contractor fairy with a hammer, ain't no significant updates coming up. Central air being done. Boring. For the bathroom, I wanted some pop against the back shower wall. Some interesting tile and then wrap the room in a quiet tile. She wants serene. It will look good in person because everything has texture but it will photograph like prison walls.

Hopefully she listens to you a bit. I just finished a kitchen remodel last year. The details you have to consider and decide on can be overwhelming. I'm a see it kind of person too but I spent months and months prior to starting looking at pictures and noting what I was drawn to over and over. A designer would have spared me the angst over every little choice.

She's listening to me more because she sees how I am in the furniture showrooms. She's sees how the sales staff respond to me. I look forward to seeing pops of clear orange as an accent. She's into gray with orange and finally got excited. I mean, it's a privilege to be able to do a project.

The LED recessed lights are fantastic. The light is very warm like an incandescent bulb. The bulbs last 22 years.

Some bathroom walls. The black paint is waterproof paint before the tiles are set. I can't wait till all the ugly, old stuff has been cleaned up and sealed. It's so different than tearing apart new construction.

The foyer has a recessed cove. We did a little arch room separator. That's about all the architecture the apt. has.

fgg and twitchy2.0 like this.

Man it's like you're starting from scratch,
    fgg and twitchy2.0 like this.

any updates, chalet?
    CornFlakegrl likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Man it's like you're starting from scratch,
    Yeah, the whole place had to be rebuilt, all new plumbing, floors, lighting. The kitchen cabinets took about 8 weeks which is standard.

The photos are lousy cause I take them really fast to get out of the way. I'm thrilled with the kitchen. We opened it up in both directions and added wall panels at the ends as walls. When the counters go in, I'll take better pics. We did white/grey quartz counters and backsplash in slab. Expensive but it's my favorite look if it's in their budget.

Where the house phone is, that's where we extended the kitchen wall with the end panel.

So we made a 7 foot long kitchen into 11 feet long.

Linen grasscloth wall covering for the foyer area

Living Room chair and fabric. The chair is so great looking. Fabric is cut velvet.

The rug will be this pattern - less dense in some areas and I'm using the cream, orange and grey colors from the fabric. The sectional sofa will be medium gray chenille, so the rug will be the art in the room. I'll do some fun pillows on the sofa.

I'll have more soon with door hardware, vanity and completed kitchen.

grey grey grey
    fgg, czb, CornFlakegrl and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information