• 2 Post By Trixie
  • 2 Post By pinkbunnyslippers
  • 4 Post By Chalet
  • 1 Post By Trixie
  • 1 Post By Chalet

Thread: Decorating Trends You Had To Live Through To Appreciate

Default Decorating Trends You Had To Live Through To Appreciate

1. Shag Carpet

There was a time, not so long ago, when a shag rug was the height of style and home fashion. The long fibers looked luxurious and beautifully framed clean-lined furniture. Of course, you may have other memories of shag carpet involving gum sticking in the long strands or perhaps the muted earth tones shag rugs so often came in. Whether you loved or loathed this trend, there is nothing more iconic of the late 1960s and 70s than shag carpets!

2. Bright Linoleum Flooring

These bright and imaginative patterns gave warmth to hard-surface flooring. The expansive number of designs could be used for any room in the house and were especially popular in kitchens. Borders, medallions, literal depictions, speckles, starbursts: there seemed no end to the number of choices. Today, we favor checkered or solid linoleum, but back then the sky was the limit!

3. Harvest Gold Kitchens

This sunny yellow color had great intentions. Unfortunately, in dark settings this color tended to read as murky and tan. Many homeowners were lured by the thought of a bright, cheery kitchen only to find the color wasn't very cheering and the style was out in a just a few years. Still, there are some who loved this trend or still have their golden appliances!

4. Colorful Block Print Wallpaper

Wallpaper printed in stages produces the distinctive print patterns and bright colors that were used throughout the 1950s and 60s in many homes. There were bold styles created for literally every room in the house. Some of you may remember the cowboy patterns (as seen below) or one of the many floral and fruit designs in your mom's kitchen!

5. Burlap Pattern Lampshades

This trend gives a nod to the tiki and Asian styles of decor so popular in Mid-century America. The natural pattern seen here is reproduced in fiberglass shades. A similar look was also made by producing synthetic fibers woven into a burlap-like cloth and then affixed to the drum or swag shades. This distinctive trend carried into the 70s and has had a recent revival.

6. Pink Bathrooms (I think we have a whole thread of mid-century pink bathrooms already
    )

Many varied bathroom fixture colors became available in the 1920s. However, it wasn't until after WWII that brightly-colored bathrooms became more popular. By the mid 1960s, color choices had become more subdued and the pink bathroom trend began to fade. Today, many homeowners want to replace these artifacts with modern white fixtures. We think they add vintage style to a home even if they are a little on the obnoxious side…

7. Faux Wood Everything

This trend continues today, but no one did it better than the atomic-era designers! The kitschy look of faux wood panels, flooring, wallpaper, furniture, and much more lends a particular flavor to the homes of yesteryear. The advances in composite materials and digital printing mean that today's faux wood might actually fool the eye. However, the obviously fake grain and unnatural colors of faux wood of the past leaves us with oddly warm memories. We wouldn't have it any other way!

8. Avocado Dream

Who can forget avocado green?! This muted tone creeped into nearly every area of the home in the late 1960s and beyond, but was usually found most concentrated in the kitchen. Seen here on kitchen cabinets, this striking color made its way onto blenders, toasters, Tupperware, glasses, counter tops, and so much more.

http://thegoodolddays.club/home-decor-trends/8/
    Brookie and idunno like this.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

When we were looking for our last house, we ended up checking out one that had a kitchen with avocado green everything - stove, fridge, etc. It was pretty crazy. And the hallway bathroom was so small that if someone opened the door when you were sitting on the toilet, they would break both your knee caps.

I remember being jealous of my friend, whose rec room had super thick shag carpeting. You couldn't even see your toes when you were walking around in it.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

That last picture was a flashback to my childhood. I noticed that percolator and the loaf of Wonder Bread on the cabinet!

My dream home would be total mid-century everything. Pink bathroom, earth tones kitchen with linoleum floor, wood paneling, shag carpeting. Yeah..I know...it's nostalgic comforts from my childhood. We long for those things as we age.
    Brookie likes this.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

I love shag carpets, I have two shag area rugs. The rest are awful. I'll never get why yellow was popular! All those off-white shads just look permanently dirty to me, same with avocado.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I tore out the orange shag when we moved in here. It was immaculately maintained and looked clean, but when I pulled it up, there was all kinds of dirt and crud in the bottom, under it and even in and under the underlay. No vacuum in the world is powerful enough to get stuff out of the depths of that.

My grandparents had those burlap covered wall sconces. They were pretty nice apart from being total dust magnets.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I remember the late 70s when someone thought that various shades of orange and brown were the perfect combination for decor all over the home. A pox on whoever came up with that one! I remember that we had wallpaper very similar to this when I was very small.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I love shag carpets, I have two shag area rugs. The rest are awful. I'll never get why yellow was popular! All those off-white shads just look permanently dirty to me, same with avocado.
    Bloke bought a rug without asking me. It's a very nice rug and does brighten the room but it's a shag rug and with four constantly shedding beasts in the house (five if you include me lol) every day is a constant battle to keep it clean.

I've never lived anywhere with an avocado suite but the shared house I lived in when I first left home had an ancient aqua coloured bathroom suite, very much like this:

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Elite Member

My brother's house has a pink bathroom. I think it's cool, but he hates it,.

I'm really digging the L shaped couch in the top image. In a modern room with different pillows it would be fab.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    That last picture was a flashback to my childhood. I noticed that percolator and the loaf of Wonder Bread on the cabinet!

My dream home would be total mid-century everything. Pink bathroom, earth tones kitchen with linoleum floor, wood paneling, shag carpeting. Yeah..I know...it's nostalgic comforts from my childhood. We long for those things as we age.
    Not all of us do!

Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

My childhood home had an aqua bathroom. Aqua everything...wall tile, tub, sink, toilet. A friend of mine has a guest bath with the same color tile, original to her house. I told her to never change it. When I pee there, it's like going home!
    Bluebonnet and Lalasnake like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

We had velvet textured wall paper. I hated touching the walls, and my sisters and I thought that house was haunted because of it.

Bluebonnet and Lalasnake like this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

^^ Flocked wallpaper! So velvety...lol

This is the closest photo I could find to what my grandmother's family room looked like. It had turquoise and white long shag carpet. You vacuumed and then you had a rake to fluff it up. She had this kind of sofa and wood bead curtains and white chandelier that you pulled down and could push it up.

I painted my kitchen turquoise as an homage to grandma.

I love turquoise! We never had cool colors in our house. My mom was all about red, gold and black.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Ha ha. That was grandma's living room. Red, black and ivory Chinese modern/traditional? The family room was turquoise cool modern, the kitchen was turquoise and white, one bedroom was navy velvet with ivory and gold and the other was pink, purple and white.

Look at this refrigerator.

Bluebonnet likes this.

Fridge/armoire? Perfect.

Thread Information