Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sold! Sir Patrick Stewart's Yorkshire "Bolt-hole".

Default Sold! Sir Patrick Stewart's Yorkshire "Bolt-hole".

English actor Patrick Stewart, best know to Trekkies as Captain Jean-Luc Picard, has put his Yorkshire Dales home on the market for 535,000.

Scar Top House. Picture: daleeddison.co.uk

Scar Top House, a four-bedroom mansion with two bathrooms and three reception rooms, dates back to 1680 and is located near the village of Hebden.
    Stewart has used the heritage-listed property as a retreat for over 20 years.
    “The draw of the house was so powerful. It was my bolthole, my retreat. I loved being in that landscape and I enjoyed hiking. I’d go for 20-mile hikes and not see another person. The local people were very respectful of my privacy too, especially the wonderful couple who had the Post Office. Visitors used to ask them where I lived and they’d say ‘he doesn’t live round here’, ” the Star Trek: The Next Generation actor tells the Yorkshire Post.
    Scar Top House retains several original features. Picture: daleeddison.co.uk

The mullioned windows, cooking recesses and Inglenook fireplace are among the historic features of this grand home.
    Terracotta tiling, solid oaks doors and wood panelling also feature throughout the property.
    The house sits on a 0.64 hectare block and the extensive grounds include manicured lawns, a boiler room, a detached stone store and a double garage in the old barn.
    The house also has modern touches such as this mirrored dressing room. Picture: daleeddison.co.uk

The vaulted ceilings in the main dining area show off the home’s impressive scale with partially exposed wood beams, stone columns and wood panelling.
    The home also offers impressive views of the nearby Yorkshire Dales National Park.
    The dining area. Picture: daleeddison.co.uk

There is an entertaining deck out the back located in the raised landscaped garden and while the views are incredible, the property offers considerable privacy.
    Stewart, who lives in Brooklyn with his wife Sunny Ozell and stays at the Cotwolds property when doing stage work in the UK, says he will miss the home.
    “It has brought me such joy and I hope whoever buys it will be just as happy there as I have been,” the X-Men star says.

A look at the outdoor entertaining area. Picture: daleeddison.co.uk

Star Trek actor Sir Patrick Stewart sells his bolthole in the Yorkshire Dales for 500,000 - including an ultra-modern toilet so you can boldly go where only Captain Picard has gone before

• Sir Patrick Stewart's stunning four-bedroom farmhouse in Hebden, North Yorkshire, is set to fetch 535,000
    • The 75-year-old star bought the huge 19th century property 25 years ago as his hidden 'bolthole and retreat'
    • The Star Trek actor also owns a 1.9million home in Brooklyn, New York, and a 2million property in the Cotswolds

By MailOnline Reporter
    Published: 11:55, 6 July 2016 | Updated: 18:39, 6 July 2016
    441 shares
    View comments

Hollywood star Sir Patrick Stewart is selling his stunning 'bolt hole' home for a whopping 535,000 in the idyllic British countryside.
    The 75-year-old Star Trek actor's Grade II listed house set in 1.6 acres of grassland boasts four bedrooms, two bathrooms and an ultra-modern loo -almost resembling something out of a sci-fi scene itself.
    Estate agent Dale Eddison described Scar Top House in Hebden, North Yorkshire, as a 'very special home'. It only went on the market on Saturday but the phone hasn't stopped ringing since.

+12

Sir Patrick Stewart bought Scar Top House (pictured above) in Hebden, North Yorkshire, 25 years ago and is now selling the large 19th century farmhouse for a staggering 535,000

+12

The Star Trek: The Next Generation's remote property boasts an ultra-modern toilet in the bathroom, four bedrooms, a kitchen, three reception rooms and two grand staircases. The estate agent says it has already received numerous calls from interested parties keen on buying the retreat

+12

The estate agent's brochure describes the charming house as a 'wonderful and historically interesting grade II listed detached house of considerable character, enjoying a truly splendid setting with spectacular bird's eye views all around'

Sir Patrick splits his time between his home in Brooklyn, New York, he bought for 1.9million ($2.5million) in 2012 and his 2million ($2.6million) property in the Cotswolds and has now decided to say goodbye to the secluded Yorkshire home he bought 25 years ago.
    The actor, who found fame as Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation, said: 'Part of me is scared of saying goodbye to the house as I know it will be wrench. It was my bolthole, my retreat.'
    The house, which dates back to 1860, is one mile up an unmarked track and has provided Sir Patrick with the perfect hideaway from the pressures of Hollywood.

Locals have even protected his privacy and staff at the village post office tell curious visitors the celeb 'doesn't live around here'.
    Sir Patrick, brought up in a tiny terraced house in Mirfield, West Yorkshire, certainly had room to spare at Scar Top House.
    Often alone there, Sir Patrick enjoyed the historic features including an inglenook fireplace with original cooking recesses, mullioned and chamfered windows and exposed beams.
    The house has three reception rooms including a sitting room with the magnificent inglenook fireplace.

+12

Sir Patrick Stewart has been dividing his time between luxurious properties in Brooklyn, New York, the Cotswolds and Scar Top House (above), a Grade II listed house set in 1.6 acres of grassland

+12

The veteran actor, grew up in Mirfield, West Yorkshire, said Scar Top House, about one mile up an unmarked rural track, has been his 'bolthole and retreat' for 25 years

+12

Sir Patrick would fly from Los Angeles to London before taking a plane to Leeds Bradford Airport and a taxi to Hebden - just to spend a day at his bolthole in the countryside, which has four bedrooms

+12

The property's historic features include an inglenook fireplace with original cooking recesses in the kitchen (pictured above), mullioned and chamfered windows and low exposed beams

+12

+12

While Sir Patrick enjoyed the historic features, the father-of-two also made many adjustments to the property. He insulated the roof, furnished the interior with oak furniture and converted a barn into a garage

A landing leads to the four bedrooms and a walk-in shower room. Accessed by two staircases, one of the bedrooms has a priest hole cupboard.
    The brochure describes the house as a 'wonderful and historically interesting grade II listed detached house of considerable character, enjoying a truly splendid setting with spectacular bird's eye views all around'.
    Dad-of-two Sir Patrick has made many improvements since buying the house. He has insulated the roof, furnished the interior with oak furniture and converted a barn into a garage.

+12

Sir Patrick starred as Captain Jean Luc Picard (pictured, left) in science-fiction action thriller: Star Trek: Nemesis in 2003 and was captured by Tom Hardy's character Praetor Shinzon (pictured, right)

Sir Patrick is famed for being in Star Trek: The Next Generation series, which ran from 1987 to 1994 and was viewed by more than 27 million at times. The veteran actor has since starred in other TV dramas and sitcoms, including Blunt Talk in 2016

Part of me is scared of saying goodbye to the house... It was my bolthole, my retreat
    Sir Patrick Stewart

He has spoken of how the Yorkshire Dales captured his heart when he was young.
    At the height of his Hollywood fame Sir Patrick would flee Los Angeles for the tranquillity of the Dales.
    He would fly from LA to London before taking a plane to Leeds Bradford Airport and a taxi to Hebden - just to spend a day at his bolthole. He admitted it was 'madness' but the pull of the Dales was so strong.
    'Early vacant possession' is available but Sir Patrick plans one last stay at Scar Top when he returns to Yorkshire to star in Harold Pinter's No Man's Land at Sheffield's Lyceum Theatre in August.
    A spokesman for Dale Eddison said: 'The house is proving very popular, not surprisingly because it's gorgeous and very much one of a kind.

Exclusive: Why Patrick Stewart is beaming himself out of the Yorkshire Dales
    Patrick Stewart's Yorkshire home, Scar Top House, is up for sale with Dale Eddison
    Patrick Stewart's Yorkshire home, Scar Top House, is up for sale with Dale Eddison Sharon Dale

Heading down a congested and fume-filled Los Angeles freeway at the height of his Star Trek fame, Sir Patrick Stewart says he “drove into an idea”. “I was pretty much resident in LA by then thanks to the filming but as I drove into the smog I was suddenly gripped by the thought of buying a house in the Yorkshire Dales. It was bizarre. I was fearful of losing myself to Hollywood in the way I’d seen other British stage actors do and I wanted a toehold in England, somewhere to come home to.”

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard, Captain of the Starship Enterprise Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard, Captain of the Starship Enterprise

The Yorkshire-born actor found himself longing for the feelings of contentment he experienced as a teenager in the 1950s when he cycled out into the Dales on his push bike, leaving the mines and the mills of Mirfield far behind. “The Dales captured my heart from a very young age,” said Sir Patrick, a celebrated stage actor who became an international film star after playing Captain Jean-Luc Picard in the Star Trek: The Next Generation series. His brother, who still lived in Yorkshire, lined up a series of homes for him to view, including Scar Top House in Hebden, near Grassington. It offered everything he craved. Half a mile up a track and surrounded by moorland, it gave him seclusion, sensational views and it was a world away from the Hollywood spotlight. He has owned the four-bedroom, grade two listed property for the last 25 years but is preparing to say farewell. It is now up for sale with Dale Eddison for 535,000. The house was furnished with English oak furniture made by Royal Oak of Grassington The house was furnished with English oak furniture made by Royal Oak of Grassington “It was more remote than I envisaged but the views are amazing and it is very private, which has been helpful,” he said. He invited his family in England to draw up a holiday rota so the house could be used when he wasn’t there. When he was, it was quite often alone. There were times when he would fly from LA to London before taking a plane to Leeds-Bradford airport and then a taxi to Hebden, just to spend a day at Scar Top. “It was madness but the draw of the house was so powerful. It was my bolthole, my retreat. I loved being in that landscape and I enjoyed hiking. I’d go for 20-mile hikes and not see another person. The local people were very respectful of my privacy too, especially the wonderful couple who had the Post Office. Visitors used to ask them where I lived and they’d say ‘he doesn’t live round here’.” Back in America, where he has just filmed the third Wolverine movie and episodes of TV series Blunt Talk, his Dales home has helped him to sleep. He imagines himself walking up the track and is in the Land of Nod before he gets to the top. The property is cosy thanks to insulation and real fires The property is cosy thanks to insulation and real fires Since buying the property he has insulated the roof, furnished with oak furniture from nearby Grassington company Royal Oak and converted a barn into a garage.
    More recently, he has used the the house less and now divides his time between a home in the Cotswolds, close to stage work, and a property in Brooklyn, which he shares with his wife, singer-songwriter Sunny Ozell.
    So the “For Sale” sign is up at Scar Top and Sir Patrick is planning to stay there for one last time when he next ventures north for work. He is starring in Harold Pinter’s “No Man’s Land”, which is coming to Sheffield’s Lyceum theatre in August.
    “Part of me is scared of saying goodbye to the house as I know it will be wrench,” he said. “It has brought me such joy and I hope whoever buys it will be just as happy there as I have been.”

*The Inside Story: Scar Top House has an abundance of original features, including mullioned windows and an impressive Inglenook fireplace with original cooking recesses and a cambered arched lintel. On the ground floor, there is a reception hall, utility room and a kitchen with oak units. This leads to a dining area with full-height windows and steps down to a formal dining room. The separate sitting room has an inglenook fireplace.

Sir Patrick often imagines walking up this track to his idyllic Dales home Sir Patrick often imagines walking up this track to his idyllic Dales home

The first floor is accessed by two staircases and has a bedroom with priest hole cupboard, a bathroom and dressing room. There are three further bedrooms and a shower room on this floor. Outside, there is a detached double garage and ample parking. Other outbuildings include a detached stone store and an integral workshop. The gardens extend to 1.66 acres. The property is a mile from the hamlet of Hebden, which has a Post Office, a pub and a church. Estate agent Amanda May, manager of Dale Eddison’s Skipton branch, adds: ““We’re delighted to be acting on Sir Patrick’s behalf, particularly for such a special property. We have a long list of registered buyers who specifically say that they want a property that is isolated but not remote. These are people who want a countryside lifestyle, great views and no immediate neighbours but equally want to be at the shops and schools in ten minutes. In addition, there is a strong demand for stone character houses, especially for those with space both inside and out, and Scar Top House has it all. There aren’t many properties that can offer this.”
    • Contact Dale Eddison, Dale Eddison, Estate Agents and Chartered Surveyors

Sir Patrick Stewart: A Life on stage and screen Sir Patrick Stewart, 75 was born in Mirfield. His mother was a mill worker and his father was a former sergeant major. He won a place at the Bristol Old Vic. and was a respected actor when he took the part of Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation. He also played Professor Xavier in the X-Men movies and stars in the TV series Blunt Talk. He has returned to the British stage. A former Chancellor of Huddersfield University, he is also President of the town’s football club academy.
    He supports Refuge and Combat Stress and has spoken openly about the domestic violence suffered by his mother and of his father’s struggle with PTSD after the war.

Read more at: Exclusive: Why Patrick Stewart is beaming himself out of the Yorkshire Dales - Yorkshire Postnglish actor Patrick Stewart, best know to Trekkies as Captain Jean-Luc Picard, has put his Yorkshire Dales home on the market for 535,000. Scar Top House. Picture: daleeddison.co.uk

Scar Top House, a four-bedroom mansion with two bathrooms and three reception rooms, dates back to 1680 and is located near the village of Hebden.
    Stewart has used the heritage-listed property as a retreat for over 20 years.
    “The draw of the house was so powerful. It was my bolthole, my retreat. I loved being in that landscape and I enjoyed hiking. I’d go for 20-mile hikes and not see another person. The local people were very respectful of my privacy too, especially the wonderful couple who had the Post Office. Visitors used to ask them where I lived and they’d say ‘he doesn’t live round here’, ” the Star Trek: The Next Generation actor tells the Yorkshire Post.
    Scar Top House retains several original features. Picture: daleeddison.co.uk

The mullioned windows, cooking recesses and Inglenook fireplace are among the historic features of this grand home.
    Terracotta tiling, solid oaks doors and wood panelling also feature throughout the property.
    The house sits on a 0.64 hectare block and the extensive grounds include manicured lawns, a boiler room, a detached stone store and a double garage in the old barn.
    The house also has modern touches such as this mirrored dressing room. Picture: daleeddison.co.uk

The vaulted ceilings in the main dining area show off the home’s impressive scale with partially exposed wood beams, stone columns and wood panelling.
    The home also offers impressive views of the nearby Yorkshire Dales National Park.
    The dining area. Picture: daleeddison.co.uk

There is an entertaining deck out the back located in the raised landscaped garden and while the views are incredible, the property offers considerable privacy.
    Stewart, who lives in Brooklyn with his wife Sunny Ozell and stays at the Cotwolds property when doing stage work in the UK, says he will miss the home.
    “It has brought me such joy and I hope whoever buys it will be just as happy there as I have been,” the X-Men star says.

A look at the outdoor entertaining area. Picture: daleeddison.co.uk

Read more at: Exclusive: Why Patrick Stewart is beaming himself out of the Yorkshire Dales - Yorkshire Post
    Free Charmed.

Beautiful. I'll take it.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

The location is heavenly. I would so love to live there. I'd get a horse, a couple cows and some chickens. Oh boy, how awesome it would be.
    Bluebonnet and Sarzy like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Oh, I'd happily live there

czb

land is beautiful but not loving the interior. kitchen is pretty mediocre.

Gorgeous! So idyllic. I can almost hear bagpipes in the distance.
    panic likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Love it! So beautiful. The carpet is filthy and the kitchen is blah, but I'd make it work.

Perfect...I'd take that carpet out of that bedroom.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Nov, this is where i pictured you living anyway.
    sprynkles likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

fgg

the inside is hideous but i like the outside and the scenery.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    Nov, this is where i pictured you living anyway.
    Countryside is fairly similar
    Free Charmed.

I'd love to live in the Dales. There's so much spectacular countryside in the north that you just don't get down here.

they had me at 1680. the landscape look like it goes to the end of the earth. i love the goats, looks so serene there.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

.... and that's why Yorkshire is called "God's own county", not that I am biased.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Elite Member

It wouldn't take much to make it lovely inside. I'd buy it just so I could lie outside in the grass and watch the clouds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information