Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Favorite candles and home fragrances

Default Favorite candles and home fragrances

Does anyone else enjoy burning candles to scent their living/work spaces? I've always been a little funny about them, since it's fire, but I love the way a good candle smells and am always on the look out for good scents. I also use the plug-ins, too, but seem to gravitate back to candles.

Right now I'm LOVING a candle from Bath & Body Works called London Tea & Lemon. It's supposed to smell like tea, lemon, and sugar, and it does a pretty inoffensive job of it.

I was just curious what other scents people have tried and enjoy, because candles can get expensive and I hate to end up with one that makes my head pound, or is just a dud and ends up barely scented. Some brands make minis, and I like to try those when I can.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I hate plug ins (the scent is too fake and chemical) and I do love scented candles but only the really good ones. I barely burn them now as my cats are both idiots, so once a week after I vacuum I burn a stick of nag champa.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

i didn't use to do it because my desk was in a shared space and i didn't want to impose my scents on others - it would be hypocritical since i used to complain about a co-worker with a patchouli obsession who would burn incense sticks all the time and make everyone sneeze.
    but now that i have my own office with a door (yay privacy), i burn scented candles sometimes. i'm horribly picky though and i hate 99% of scented anything. can't smell too strong, too chemical-y, or the least bit sweet. especially hate anything that smells sweet and fruity, or like vanilla or anything food-like. i hate plug-ins and incense pretty much without exception, except for this one brand of japanese green tea incense that i got once and which was really mild and lovely but i've never found again.

for the most part i couldn't tell you what brand candles i've used, they tend to be one-off purchases or gifts. i've gotten diptyque candles as gifts before and those are divine but so expensive so i wouldn't even buy them for myself, much less waste them at the office, so i've used them at home. i'm a big fan of some of the henri bendel scented candles, they're massive and last forever, which somewhat makes up for the price. right now i've got one of their candles in 'white pepper' which is a slightly peppery floral but not overpowering at all. used to love their 'white linen' but they don't have that anymore, it smelled clean and crisp. and someone gave me the 'peony' one which is a very mild floral and i quite like that one too.

i also really like papier d'arménie, which are little strips of scented paper that you tear off and burn. they're pretty effective and they come in lovely little old fashioned packages. most have a nice sort of old school pharmacy/cologne type smell, but you have to avoid the ones with a more vanilla scent that i despise.

Last edited by sputnik; March 8th, 2016 at 03:46 PM.
    Laurent and Bluebonnet like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ I hate - HATE - patchouli and vanilla. Both are guaranteed migraine in record time and both get snuck into so many fragrances. Even with perfume, manufacturers love to slide in a little vanilla or patchouli base. The God awful worst is Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb, I think. When that first came out, I got a little sample from Sephora and put it on at work. I ended up having to give myself a sponge bath in the ladies' room sink in a desperate attempt to get it off.
    sputnik likes this.

I love the electric wax burners. Same result as a candle without the fire hazard. Most recently, I'm burning Yankee Candle Midsummer's Night.

I'm also addicted to the "Wall Flowers" plug ins from Bath and Body Works. The fragrance stays strong and lasts longer than the Febreze Noticeables.

Laurent likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    now that i have my own office with a door (yay privacy)
    yay!

The fragrance never bothered me in candles so I probably like most scents, I can't recall one I didn't like, but it's the candle light that really attracts me. Candle light can either be relaxing or romantic or spooky, depending on the ambiance. I'd probably always prefer candle light to electric as long as I didn't need real light to work in. lol, real light. I'm such a product of modern convenience.
    Laurent likes this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

I'm a total nag champa girl. I love it. I buy the good stuff in the blue box. I hate cheap incense. It gives me a headache.

I love the Bath and Body Works candles. They are great and last for years. I buy a Christmas candle and pack it up season after season. Still smells the same.

i don't like vanilla scented stuff or food smelling stuff, either. I like more spicy than sweet. I did get a lemon scented kitchen candle from Bath and Body Works and it's really nice.
    Laurent and faithanne like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I'm also addicted to the "Wall Flowers" plug ins from Bath and Body Works. The fragrance stays strong and lasts longer than the Febreze Noticeables.
    I have one of the Wallflower plug-ins, and I do like them more than the ones from Walmart or Target. I unplugged one and sat it sitting straight up on a window sill and somehow it tipped over on the floor. Fragranced oil seeped out and now by bathroom smells intensely of Eucalyptus Mint. It's been weeks and it hasn't faded yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I love the Bath and Body Works candles. They are great and last for years. I buy a Christmas candle and pack it up season after season. Still smells the same.

i don't like vanilla scented stuff or food smelling stuff, either. I like more spicy than sweet. I did get a lemon scented kitchen candle from Bath and Body Works and it's really nice.
    If you like lemon, you might like the B&BW London candle, too. It's surprisingly nice, IMO, but it does have a bit of sweet in it. It's strongly scented, but not overpowering and headache inducing.

London - Tea & Lemon 3-Wick Candle - Home Fragrance 1037181 - Bath & Body Works
    KrisNine likes this.

I love the electric wax burners. Same result as a candle without the fire hazard. Most recently, I'm burning Yankee Candle
    I've since learned the hard way that ANYTHING plugged in is a fire hazard. My dad, who was a fireman for like 40 years, routinely now quizzes me about what I have plugged in and if I've vacuumed out my dryer vent. He yells at my stepmother for leaving LAMPS plugged in.

I love, love, love Yankee Candle's Pure Radiance (ironically, a crackling wick that's supposed to be reminiscent of a burning fire) in Pear, but they discontinued them and you can only find on eBay and places like that. I love almost everything in pear scents. Just pear though. I don't like it mixed with anything. Kohl's used to have one called caramel pear (omg, yum!!) but I haven't been there in eons. Right now, I'm using YC's salted caramel. I like fruity smells mostly, but hate florals or earthy or outdoorsy smells (like cut grass). I just have a thing for pears and caramel.

I tend not to use candles but essential oils or in some cases. Concentrated food flavourings (specifically common). I boil the kettle & add a couple of drops before I start the washing up (boiled water in a small cup/bowl not washing up).
    I like food, but not overtly sweet (caramel, cinamon, citrus,etc good; artificial too sweet vanilla out!).
    I use essential oils in plug-ins too.

Oh! Used to make own candles & bath products - a well received one was juniper & pepper (men), with added violet for women. It smelt very like the Paul Smith perfume.
    Laurent and Nevan like this.
    Free Charmed.

I just dropped $90 at Bath ad Body works buying spring scents , I use a candle warmer for my candles , I just got a Lilac Blossom one that smells amazing , I have a Rose and Oud one from some brand I can't remember that smells amazing , I'll try to find a picture and post it on here
    Laurent likes this.

I got this in Rhubarb scent in one of those subscription boxes a while back, and it's my favorite candle ever. Plus it's made in my home state.

kasippu and Laurent like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    ^ I hate - HATE - patchouli and vanilla. Both are guaranteed migraine in record time
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    hate cheap incense. It gives me a headache..

Roses gives me migraine. At christmas someone gave me a 'rose set' essential oil/candle/soap and even from opening the gift (smell was super strong) i got a wave of nausea and the next day I was in bed with throbbing headache and vomiting.

We stayed at the Gramercy Park NY and while travelling there, I read that the hotel is filled with a 'signature' smoll I was so worried that I would have instant headache instead I fell in love with the smell (NOT the hotel) and have been burning LE LABO CADE 26 ever since.
    In my office I used Paddywax The OceanTide and Sea Suft. It smells like the beach on a windy day.
    Laurent likes this.

I love the electric wax burners. Same result as a candle without the fire hazard. Most recently, I'm burning Yankee Candle Midsummer's Night.

These are great until your cat knocks the wax over and you have to spend hours scraping it off the hearth. I've still got some spots of candle stuck on there!
    Laurent, Nevan and o0Amber0o like this.

Novice, I also love violet scents, but it has to be a true violet, not mixed with anything or a "false" violet smell.

Stella, I used to be big into the melted wax ones (both burning or plug-ins, and I've knocked them over myself before. They're nearly impossible to get clean, but I swear I saw a Pinterest pin about an easy cleanup for it. Have you checked there?

Anybody else have their allergies tweak from candles or melts? I always thought they recreated the scent somehow but they must use something similar. I remember someone shoving Fresh Cut Grass (Freshly Mowed Grass, something like that) under my nose in YC, and I swear my face almost melted off (runny itchy eyes, runny nose, hacking up the tickle/itch in my throat). I remember someone having a Red Cedar candle too and the same thing happened. I'm severely allergic to both (and many, many other things). It sucks, especially if you visit someone in their home and you have an allergic reaction. There's no graceful way to say No Big Deal as you're dying nearby.
    Novice likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information