Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 1950s and 60s Furniture - Love or Loathe it?

A*O

Default 1950s and 60s Furniture - Love or Loathe it?

Mid century design seems to be all the rage now. I admit I'm not a fan, but like the quality. This stuff was made to last. My mother has a Heals teak dining table, chairs and sideboard very similar to this. It was a wedding present in 1960 and it's been used every day since. It still looks like new.

She was going to get rid of it a few years ago but it was so outdated she couldn't even give it away. I'm glad she kept it because it's probably worth a fortune now.
    palta and I'mNotBitter like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I despise it. My mother still has her bedroom set from the 60's and refuses to part with it. Different beds and carpet, but the same dresser drawers for 50 years.

I subscribe to a webpage whose owner collects mid-century stuff from old cruise ships and liners sent to the scrapyard. The stuff is ugly.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Oooh link? Please? And I hate that stuff in the first post. I like some furniture from those decades but definitely not that.
    BITTER likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

i was raised in the 50's and 60's and remember all of the furniture. i love it. but, i'm sure if my parents were still alive i doubt that I would have any affection for it.
    panic likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Loathe.
    panic likes this.

When I was a kid growing up we had this exact table and chairs in the kitchen.

louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Loathe it. I have said a couple times here, I remember hating it as a kid. I just knew it was ugly even though it's all I saw everywhere.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Oooh link? Please? And I hate that stuff in the first post. I like some furniture from those decades but definitely not that.
    Ask and ye shall receive: midshipcentury.com - ocean liners and cruise ships
    OrangeSlice likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

A*O

Cruise ships were always very much "of their time" in terms of style. Not so much these days but in previous decades the companies employed famous designers and architects of the day to do the interior styling. Here's the QE2 ballroom, a perfect 1970s horror. The ship is now razor blades I think.

panic likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    When I was a kid growing up we had this exact table and chairs in the kitchen.

These got moved into basements in the 80's and turned into game tables.

Hate the furniture. Horrid style.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Cruise ships were always very much "of their time" in terms of style. Not so much these days but in previous decades the companies employed famous designers and architects of the day to do the interior styling. Here's the QE2 ballroom, a perfect 1970s horror. The ship is now razor blades I think.

I think the QE2 is still in Dubai awaiting conversion to a condo. But yeah, her 60's innards were beyond tacky. Same with the SS France and the Italian liners of that time. I hate hate hate square furniture made from synthetics. I have a great appreciation and love for Art Deco of the 20s and 30s, and some previous Art Nouveau...some of the liner furnishings from those eras were stunning.

fgg

i really like the clean lines of mid century modern furniture but it has to be done in a certain way. i like it when it is mixed in, not a house full of it.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Elite Member

I love midcentury modern architecture mainly for its open plans and inside-outside feel. But I've grown to dislike midcentury furniture, because it's so overused by professionel interior designers. You can't swing a dead cat in a design magazine without hitting an Eames or an Arne Jacobsen or a Panton chair. It's just so unoriginal, it has become the go-to style for people with lots of money, but no personal taste. You'd think that a professional interior designer could find some interesting contempory furniture - that's pretty much their only job.

I like the style, I love clean lines and simple design.
    Some examples:

fgg, I'mNotBitter and KrisNine like this.

i love it for the most part but in a home, i like a few pieces mixed in with other things, otherwise it looks too themed and overpowering. i also love the look of modernist furniture in older spaces with mouldings and high ceilings.
    i'm also much more partial to the 50s stuff and the more minimalist 60s pieces, and i'm especially fond of furniture that was built around the time of international style architecture (the interior of the seagram building, or the united nations headquarters, both in new york, are prime examples). once you get into the 60s a lot of designs start to get fussier and less interesting visually. or you have to be even more spare and have only one piece or else your living room looks like you're trying to recreate austin powers.
    but overall i love it. i love the clean lines and simple elegance and toned down colour palettes.

some favourite designs:

marcel breuer:

eames:

mies van der rohe. few things make a space look better than a couple of barcelona chairs in tan.

I'mNotBitter and KrisNine like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information