Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Add your favorite household cleaning tips

Default Add your favorite household cleaning tips

As an offshoot to the vacuum thread, I thought we could add our favorite cleaning tips.

Mine:

1. 1 cup of baking soda in every load of laundry takes all of the smells out completely.
    2. Vinegar works better than fabric softener and doesn't leave any smell behind.
    3. Zep shower/tile cleaner gets out almost everything in a scuzzy tub/shower.
    4. Use a paste of baking soda and vinegar to get everything off of a flat cook top stove.

Who is next?
    Froogy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    As an offshoot to the vacuum thread, I thought we could add our favorite cleaning tips.

Mine:

1. 1 cup of baking soda in every load of laundry takes all of the smells out completely.
    2. Vinegar works better than fabric softener and doesn't leave any smell behind.
    3. Zep shower/tile cleaner gets out almost everything in a scuzzy tub/shower.
    4. Use a paste of baking soda and vinegar to get everything off of a flat cook top stove.

Who is next?
    fantastic LOve this thread already.

I use number 1 and 2. Fabric softener is too harsh on my sons skin. What is ZEP?
    and is it ok the mix vinegar and baking soda? My washingpowder has already baking soda in it and I am always reluctant to add vinegar.

i also use a mix of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to bleach teeth.

I use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in spray bottles (2 seperate ones, you apparently cannot mix them -my rookie mistake- as it becomes corrosive) to disinfect cutting boards and kitchen tops.

I soak vegetables either in vinegar or salt or baking soda to clean them and get the pesticides of them, not sure which one, if any, is better.

I cannot live without my magic sponge in the bathroom and now and then I pass by the doorknobs and light switches as my housekeeper always forgets to clean them (boohoo poor me )
    Bellatheball likes this.

Zep is a commercial cleaner that you can get at Menards. I usually use environmentally friendly cleaners. Maybe Zep is but I doubt it. It's an acid. The smell is overwhelming though so I only use it when regular cleaners don't take the scum off of showers (we have some rental units). I let it sit for 20 min and then use a firm bristle brush and rinse it. Sometimes it takes a couple of applications but I have seen that stuff do miracles. In one instance, we thought we were going to have to replace an entire tub. After a couple of bucks worth of Zep, it was sparkling.

I mix baking soda and vinegar all of them time. Sprinkle the baking soda on whatever surface you want to clean and then put a bit of vinegar over it. It will foam up and do most of the scrubbing for you. It's good for cleaning drains too.

Magic sponges are great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Zep is a commercial cleaner that you can get at Menards. I usually use environmentally friendly cleaners. Maybe Zep is but I doubt it. It's an acid. The smell is overwhelming though so I only use it when regular cleaners don't take the scum off of showers (we have some rental units). I let it sit for 20 min and then use a firm bristle brush and rinse it. Sometimes it takes a couple of applications but I have seen that stuff do miracles. In one instance, we thought we were going to have to replace an entire tub. After a couple of bucks worth of Zep, it was sparkling.

I mix baking soda and vinegar all of them time. Sprinkle the baking soda on whatever surface you want to clean and then put a bit of vinegar over it. It will foam up and do most of the scrubbing for you. It's good for cleaning drains too.

Magic sponges are great!!
    Will check if they have ZEP in Europe next time I go for the tile grout in the bathroom. I tried bleach, magic sponge,.. nothing.

Thank you for the drain cleaner tip. I could actually do the same on my cutting board.
    If they ever stop me here at the border, they will think I am a smuggler of magic sponges (and salami and cheese) , even my housekeepers are like 'please do not forget the magic'.

Oh every night I put the dish sponge very wet for 2 minutes in the microwave.

A drop or two of perfume or essential oil in a cup of baking soda shaken in a bag makes a great carpet refresher before vacuuming.
    Bellatheball likes this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

A*O

For the endless cleaning that stainless steel splash backs, surfaces, appliances require (what brainiac thought these were a good idea?) a quick spray and wipe of WD40.

General cleaning spray - 3 equal parts of cloudy ammonia, white spirit (NOT bleach, the fumes will kill you) and water. A bit smelly but works a treat.
    Bellatheball likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

For when somebody (who shall remain nameless) has food spatter all over the inside of the microwave and doesn't clean it off, leading to dried crusty bits only discovered much later:

Use a wet cloth to thoroughly wet the microwave interior sides, top, etc., place a mug of water inside (using a microwave while empty isn't good for it) and zap for a couple of minutes. Dried crusty bits will be softened and just wipe off. Repeat if any stubborn bits remain. They usually don't. No scrubbing. No chemicals.
    KrisNine, kasippu and Bellatheball like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Twitch, try it with lemon in the water. Makes it much easier to get the shit off the walls of the microwave.
    kasippu and twitchy2.0 like this.

Tips on cleaning toothbrushes? (I have melted some by putting them in too hot water)

A*O

Buy a new one.
    BelledeJour, McJag, yanna and 5 others like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Crumple up a newspaper and whipe your newly cleaned windows with it to ensure a stripeless surface.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Buy a new one.
    Haha it is not what you think. I replace them every three months. But even in between, I am the worst germ phobe. so about once a week I try to disinfect them.
    I put them in a water with a tablet of Sodium Hypochlorite but would like something more ecologic.
    Last edited by kasippu; September 13th, 2015 at 04:01 AM.

They sell toothbrush sanitizers. Or you can just soak it in antiseptic mouthwash.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

If you have pet hair that stubbornly sticks to your upholstery and it seems impervious to vacuuming attempts to remove it, use a rubber glove (the type you use when you wash the dishes). While wearing the glove, just wipe across the chair/couch/etc. in one direction and like magic the pet hair comes up. It does create a pet hair tumbleweed but those are easily vacuumed up afterwards.
    yanna, KrisNine and gas_chick like this.

I've started using the Clorox toilet bowl cleaner (comes with a bent neck so you squirt the gel under the rim) right on the caulking for my tub/shower. I let it sit about 10 minutes and then scrub with the backside of an abrasive sponge. It is amazing how clean it gets. Much better than anything else I've tried. Hell, even my husband noticed.
    McJag likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information