Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: One German millennial lives her life on trains rather than paying rent

Elite Member

Default One German millennial lives her life on trains rather than paying rent

One German millennial lives her life on trains rather than paying rent

One German millennial lives her life on trains rather than paying rent

The Washington Post
    Rick Noack 17 hrs ago

© The Washington Post Leonie Muller gave up her apartment to live on a train.

When others get off the train to finally go home, Leonie Müller stays behind. That's because she already is home: The train is her apartment, and she says she likes it that way.

The German college student gave up her apartment in spring. "It all started with a dispute I had with my landlord," Müller told The Washington Post via e-mail. "I instantly decided I didn't want to live there anymore — and then I realised: Actually, I didn't want to live anywhere anymore."

Instead, she bought a subscription that allows her to board every train in the country for free. Now, Müller washes her hair in the train bathroom and writes her college papers while traveling at a speed of up to 190 mph. She says that she enjoys the liberty she has experienced since she gave up her apartment. "I really feel at home on trains, and can visit so many more friends and cities. It's like being on vacation all the time," Müller said.

The 23-year-old's unusual housing choice has gained her media attention in Germany and appeared on national news sites such as Spiegel Online. "I read, I write, I look out of the window and I meet nice people all the time. There's always something to do on trains," Müller told German TV station SWR in an interview. Since risking the move, Müller's life fits into a small backpack in which she carries clothes, her tablet computer, college documents and a sanitary bag.

So far, her experience contradicts studies that have recently claimed that "long commutes are killing you." And financially, she benefits from living on a train: The flat-rate ticket costs her about $380, whereas she had to pay about $450 for her previous apartment. However, living cheaper is not the only goal she has in mind.

"I want to inspire people to question their habits and the things they consider to be normal," Müller told The Post. "There are always more opportunities than one thinks there are. The next adventure is waiting just around the corner — provided that you want to find it."

Müller frequently travels late at night, although she tries to sleep at the apartments of relatives or friends. Often, she is accommodated by her boyfriend, her mother or grandmother.

"Normally, we would have to have a long-distance relationship, but living on a train enables me to see him all the time," Müller told German TV station SWR regarding her boyfriend. "Most of my friends really like the idea, although some consider it to be quite adventurous. Others, however, have reacted more negatively: They feel offended by the fact that I question the ordinary way of life and living."

Living on a train is also supposed to have an academic purpose: Müller is documenting the unusual experiment on a blog. Her final undergraduate paper will be based on her experiences as a modern train-nomad. The only problem? "Possessing a headset that mutes most surrounding noises is crucial," she said.

How is she living on trains if she's really crashing at her mother's, friends' and boyfriend's places?
    rollo, KrisNine, levitt and 4 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

She must smell pretty ripe and also if she lives her entire life sitting on trains she's going to have an arse the size of a house. But yeah, sleeping at her family's or boyfriend's means she's just a couch surfer with a rail pass.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I don't see how she saves money. What about food preparation and cooking? Wouldn't she be spending that same amount of money on eating out and takeaway?
    Lalasnake, BITTER, Brah and 1 others like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

^Good point and another thing, the article says she used to spend $450 on an apartment and now she only pays $380. Is that a week? That's hardly any saving at all, I'd work extra hours for the seventy bucks if it meant a bed and hot showers.

This probably started as an experiment for her studies and the media is turning it into a "lifestyle".
    BITTER likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Elite Member

You hit the nail on the head ^

This chick saves a whopping $70 a month "living" on a train and in return has no shower or bed. Makes perfect sense.
    Lalasnake and BITTER like this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    How is she living on trains if she's really crashing at her mother's, friends' and boyfriend's places?
    Exactly

Elite Member

i think the $380 bought her a train pass subscription (for a year maybe?)..

But yes she is very much relying on a lot of other people for her 'study/stubboness .. others have to stay with her in the train during the night (when she isn't staying at their houses).

It's an interesting way of life, but i don't think i could do it, especially having to use and rely on others to help me do it.

There was another article recently about a guy who decided it was cheaper to live in Spain and commute to London, due to the outrageous rents in London. Then, come to find out, he only commutes a few times a month and works from home or a shared office space on other days. So, really, he wasn't commuting like most of us.

I have some friends who studied in Strasbourg but decided to live in the village of Kehl in Germany cause rents were cheaper. They were crossing the border every day to go to classes. One day there was a train strike and they ended up walking to class so when the teacher reprimanded them for being late they said "We're so sorry, we had to walk here from Germany".
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

My sister studied in Strasbourg too.
    Last edited by Novice; August 31st, 2015 at 03:03 PM.
    Free Charmed.

Have you ever visited, Novice? It's such a beautiful place! The only place in France that I would gladly go to again.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Not yet but it sounds worth the visit. I've just booked to go to Prague (again), end of Nov(ember not ice!).
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Have you ever visited, Novice? It's such a beautiful place! The only place in France that I would gladly go to again.
    I haven't. What did you like in Strasbourg?

LaFolie, I liked everything! Such beautiful architecture and people were so nice! Totally different than my typical experience as a tourist and during my ERASMUS stay in France. I know it's a hurtful thing to say and I'm sorry but in most places people were very rude and unwelcoming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information