Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: A Renovated Bi-Level Mid-Century Modern Home in Houston

Default A Renovated Bi-Level Mid-Century Modern Home in Houston

This Cartoon-Faced $1.15 Million Bi-Level Contemporary by Buffalo Bayou off Gessner Splits Its Highs and Lows

STEPS STICK OUT like a tongue from the pop-eyed façade of a recently renovated 1969 Woodstone home. But is it saying “ah” or “nyah-nyah?” The elevated entry sits between matching front-loader garages supporting twinwindow bays. Fully paved, the front “yard” meets the street’s cul-de-sac in the Memorial-area neighborhood, which is located west of Gessner Rd. and north of Briar Forest Dr. Listed a week ago, the property is asking $1.149 million.Following a splitsville floor plan, the home’s living and sleeping areas form parallel universes on both levels.

It looks to be a long haul down the home’s center hallway:

Meanwhile, at the front of the home . . .

the shuttered south bay is an end cap to the recently renovated living room, which aligns with the adjacent, open-ended (also updated) kitchen:

Beyond it, the dining room:

This level’s common areas finish out with the family room, currently outfitted as a family fitness center. Its French doors lead to the back balcony:

The 5,932-sq.-ft. home’s west bay holds the master bathroom, or so the mirror’s reflected image above one of the split vanities indicates:

This room, used as an office, is also on the upper level and has access to the back balcony:

The interior stairs are not pictured in the listing. An atrium sits at the top of the landing. Above and below it, skylights and floor portals draw natural light to and through the lower level:

Downstairs, the atrium and its hole-y floor seem to hover above the opened-up rooms, which are designated for entertainment. At the back of the home on this level, a set of glass-panel doors also let in a bit of light, though it has to travel through the darkly painted home theater first.

When window treatments cooperate, triple-wide glassworks (above) also help enlighten the inner space; each trio provides a wall for a secondary bedroom. This one . . .

has access to the back porch and its own bathroom:

This one’s exterior door appears to open into the lower deck’s new spa area, which comes with a built-in cabinets and sound system. The home also has a surveillance system.

Among the other rooms in the listing description: a “possible” quarters for guests or maid, a lower-level kitchenette, and a utility room. Here’s another of the 5 bathrooms that serve the home’s 5 or 6 bedrooms:

The shaded grounds, trails, and stacked deck get extended play in the listing photos.

The hot tub goes under cover at one end of the lower deck:

The home’s lot, which is 5,170 sq.ft., is the last on its end of the street.

Groomed trails (above) lead to a more natural, sloping pathway to a stretch of Buffalo Bayou:

County tax records indicate a 2000 remodeling of the home, which last sold in 2003 for $729K. A previous run at the market in 2009, initially at $699K and later trimmed to $649K, terminated without a sale.
    Last edited by hustle4alivin; May 6th, 2015 at 06:57 PM.
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

I like it. It looks bigger on the inside that I expected. Love the little trail out back and the little flower bed with stone border. That trail probably goes out to the lake but the lake looks muddy and brown.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Elite Member

Love it.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

How odd. Lovely grounds, though!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I'd kill for that kitchen and the bathroom with the big soaking tub. The outside front is kinda strange. I own a bi-level and I HATE it. Up the stairs, down the stairs, up, down, up, down, up, down. Granted, this bi-level is way out of my bi-level's league. I have five bedrooms too, but no where near that large.

I love this, except for the "peace sign room", but that can be painted.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

Selling Houses 101 : Furnish it so it looks like a real home, not a listing. People think having it half empty will allow buyers to "see the potential". Wrong! Many people have no imagination whatsoever so you have to paint the picture for them.

Much bigger than it looks from the street. It's a bit cold and impersonal with such sparse furniture and no tshochkas or pictures but I could easily make it mine. Love the grounds.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'd prostitute myself for that kitchen.
    Brookie, Nevan and Heidi Ho like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

^^ lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    The outside front is kinda strange. I own a bi-level and I HATE it. Up the stairs, down the stairs, up, down, up, down, up, down.
    Good point, that long staircase would be annoying carrying stuff in and out of the house.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

^^^ That's not even the half of it. You walk up the front outside stairs to a small (typically) foyer which gives you the option to go up another flight of stairs or go down another flight of stairs. That's the nature of a bi-level. Stupid, stupid design. We bought this house from family and the deal was too good to pass up, but there's not a day that goes by that I don't curse the freaking stairs. Especially since I'm a klutz (I actually think I have some neurological problem or inner ear problem) and I fall down the stairs at least once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Selling Houses 101 : Furnish it so it looks like a real home, not a listing. People think having it half empty will allow buyers to "see the potential". Wrong! Many people have no imagination whatsoever so you have to paint the picture for them.

Much bigger than it looks from the street. It's a bit cold and impersonal with such sparse furniture and no tshochkas or pictures but I could easily make it mine. Love the grounds.
    I agree. This house looks so uninviting it's practically hostile. The bones are nice, and it'll give you lots of steps on your pedometer, so that's a plus.

it could be a really nice house. great size and i like the funky layout. but damn, it needs to be totally gutted. i hate how they renovated it. i hate the floors, the built-ins, all the tile, the finishes, cabinets, wall colours. that fireplace and stone shelves are super fug.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That is just weird as hell, which I dig, but yes the decor needs a massive overhaul. Love the kitchen though.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I love this house. The only thing I really hate is the fugly recessed lighting in some of the rooms. Love the porches and balconies.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I'd have so much fun sliding across all the long bare floors. I'd buy brand new socks just for this occasion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information