Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 16th century French castle Le Chateau de Vigny listed for $5.7 million

Default 16th century French castle Le Chateau de Vigny listed for $5.7 million

Le Chateau de Vigny

Step back in time with this 16th century French chateau just listed for $5.7 million.

Constructed in 1504 for a French cardinal in the commune of Vigny, the castle is just 30 miles from Paris.
    Apart from the neo-gothic architecture, many other features survive until the current day. The moat, the six turreted towers, and all the 16th century charm you can stand are all present.
    Imma Best International realty has the listing.

The spectacular Le Château de Vigny is a real château, or french manor house.

It was built way back in 1507 for French cardinal Georges d'Amboise in the commune of Vigny, a scant 30 miles north of Paris.

Designed by architect Charles Cazot in the neo-Gothic style, it includes an insane amount of medieval detail.

A moat-turned-water feature surrounds the main structure, but there's no drawbridge here — two bridges allow visitors access.

Six turrets surround the home's 37,000 square feet.

The castle wasn't always this gorgeous. In the ensuing two centuries it fell into disrepair, before being completely renovated in 1867. At that time it also received a chapel and a "dungeon square."

As you approach the interior, a bright purple iron door welcomes you.

The inside is as luxurious as you would expect a 16th century manor house to be. An original carved fireplace features a medieval crest.

Nothing added to the home over the centuries looks out of place or anachronistic. At the same time, the home is appropriately luxurious with beautiful chandeliers and exquisite wooden detailing.

Exquisitely carved beams line nearly every ceiling of the house.

The original stonework paired with exquisite chandeliers and rich tapestries combine to create a hallway that is a treat to walk through.

Oh and don't worry — there's electricity among most other modern 21st century conveniences.

Two outbuilding sit on the castle's 1800 acres of land. They're completely renovated and include a professional kitchen as well as pastry and baking "laboratories."

The castle was listed as a historical monument in just recently in 1984. It was also the setting for Rihanna's music video for "Te Amo." How's that for a pedigree?

http://www.businessinsider.com/le-ch...on-2015-2?op=1

Immo Best International : Le Château de Vigny, grandiosité et romantisme...
    Wicked Goddess likes this.

Elite Member

It's.. it's.. it's sooo beautiful... i love it .

Can you imagine the cost of upkeep though.. horrific thought?

But yes.. sigh.. it is magnificent!

The price does seem very modest, but yes I suppose it's the maintenance that would kill you.

You could hardly buy a nice flat in Manhattan for what an entire French castle costs. I believe I'd rather have the castle.

It's stunning. I would buy it in a flash if I actually had the dollars.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Well, we could hold all our Gossip Rocks conventions there! Totally worth it. Who wants to go in on it together?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

fgg

need another $5M to redo the inside.
    czb and qwerty like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I'd buy and then rent it out for weddings.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

i suppose it will do for weekend getaways but yeah, that interior needs work.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

While I'm fascinated by old castles, I'm also spooked by them so I don't think I could live there but I'd love to move in and see how I do. I'd probably get spooked in the middle night walking through those 16th century halls. I still get spooked at halloween haunted houses and I know perfectly well the ghouls in there are just employees wearing scary make up, but they still spook me and once they pick up the scent of fear on me, they know they found a pigeon and really try to freak me out.

Plus it looks cold and hard. But if I could afford it, I could probably afford to make it cozy somehow.
    "I would have gladly held my nose and did the right thing all damn day long to keep Trump out of the fucking White House and it wouldn't have butt hurt me at all."...gas_chick

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Well, we could hold all our Gossip Rocks conventions there! Totally worth it. Who wants to go in on it together?
    I do! I do!

I love this place. I'm all about creepy, but would probably piss myself my first night alone.

The interior needs a ton of work and that kitchen reminds me of the kitchen in the Shining.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

^^^
    Or Jurassic Park.

French castles are less creepy than other county's castles. No mention of a dungeon either, so that's a plus. And I love that it has a moat with a bridge, who has that, huh?

I wonder why it's so cheap though. 1,800 acres outside of Paris gotta be worth something. Or maybe they're selling the acreage and throwing in a free castle.
    Last edited by azoria; February 19th, 2015 at 10:04 PM.

I'd buy this and rent it out to film studios, destination workshops, tours, b&b types, haunted weekends, murder mysteries, Ricardians, etc., ala Country House Rescue. The house would pay for its own upkeep.

Elite Member

Oh man, I love it. I have always wanted a moat. Surely we can scrape up a measly 5 million between us.

That La-Z-Boy sofa in front of the fireplace cracked me up though.
    Lalasnake and azoria like this.

That place looks haunted as fuck.
    Lalasnake and sluce like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

I like it, but I wouldn't want to live there. I found my dream house, it's in England though, and it's about $700k cheaper.

ETA: Here's the link that has all the pictures, etc.
    Property for sale - Cold Ashton, Chippenham, Gloucestershire, SN14 | Knight Frank
    Lalasnake and Bluebonnet like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information