Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja

Thread: Anybody on the East Coast Getting Ladybug Swarms?

Default Anybody on the East Coast Getting Ladybug Swarms?

I live on the Jersey Shore and this is right around the time that ladybugs hibernate for the season. They like the south side of houses or buildings or even trees. And they hibernate in large numbers.

I know my fear is mostly irrational. Years ago (around 18) when we were still looking at houses to buy, our realtor took us to this house that had been unoccupied for quite a long time and was in a large, mostly wooded lot. The house was set up really strangely ... I don't remember there being any real hallways, you had to go through other rooms (even bedrooms) to get to the next room. I remember all the doors being closed for whatever reason, except this one door that led into the living room (on the south side of the house). I don't know why, but I pulled the door away from the wall and screeched .... no exaggeration, thousands upon thousands (probably more) of ladybugs were all along the walls, in the crevices between the ceiling and the wall in the ceiling cove and halfway up the ceiling. Totally freaked me out. We had already decided against it for several reasons, but that was the game changer. I remember trying to look it up, but this was before wiki and all that stuff so I didn't get very far. A few years ago, I did read up on it though when I noticed several ladybugs flittering around my windows and outside doors, which is how I got the info in the first paragraph.

So it's again their time for hibernation. I have seen, no lie, like two dozen ladybugs at a time buzzing outside this one window (of course, on the south side of the house) where I spend a lot of time reading or watching TV. I've seen them buzzing around our front and back doors too, and the other day I noticed that there were three ladybugs on that same window INSIDE the house. We've always had a few buzzing around during hibernation time, but NEVER in the numbers I've seen this year. We have dogs so we do open the doors more often than most, but I'm kind of freaking. The numbers of them buzzing around the window (these are new windows and there's NO WAY they're getting in through there or any of the other windows) has increased to several dozen at a time. And the three ladybugs have since vanished (the resident bug killer was at work). I keep having nightmares that I'm going to wake up and find that whole wall (which is a huge wall, the entire width of our house with only that window as an obtrusion) covered in ladybugs. I'm afraid they've found some way into the house other than the window. Has anybody else seen so many of them? I get they're relatively harmless, but could you imagine thousands of these things waking up in the spring IN YOUR HOUSE???

Yeah, I never knew this was a thing until we moved out here. Certain times of the year they invade, speckle the snowbanks, and so forth. We've trained our kids to hunt them down and flick them out the window.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^^^ Haha ... I need to start training my kid!

They're awful. They aren't native. They were introduced to control aphids or some such and they probably don't do that well. I vacuum them. *insert massive vacuum conversation* I go from room to room sucking the little bastards off the windows. A couple of hours later and you'd never know I'd been there. Needs doing again. And again.

They bite. They stink if you touch them. They'll fall in your drink and do the backstroke. If you don't notice and take a big swig, they taste disgusting. Get one in your hair and your hair will reek. They leave nasty tracks on windows, on light fixtures and on the corner of ceilings and walls.

I would like to track down the people responsible for bringing them to North America and do horrible, illegal things to those people.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I've never experienced it in Maryland.

They can fuck up wine too, ladybug taint is a thing. little bastards.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    They're awful. They aren't native. They were introduced to control aphids or some such and they probably don't do that well. I vacuum them. *insert massive vacuum conversation* I go from room to room sucking the little bastards off the windows. A couple of hours later and you'd never know I'd been there. Needs doing again. And again.

They bite. They stink if you touch them. They'll fall in your drink and do the backstroke. If you don't notice and take a big swig, they taste disgusting. Get one in your hair and your hair will reek. They leave nasty tracks on windows, on light fixtures and on the corner of ceilings and walls.

I would like to track down the people responsible for bringing them to North America and do horrible, illegal things to those people.
    Yeah, I remember reading they aren't native. You'd think they'd learn from past mistakes. Our history is riddled with certain species going extinct because some stupid thing was intentionally introduced to a non-native land. I'm not talking about carry-ons ... things that hop a ride on ships or whatever ... that's just a thing of nature. I've never been bitten, but I also remember reading that they bite when the aphid population gets too low, which is increasingly happening because the ladybugs are growing so fast in numbers. And I do believe they're related to the "stink bug" (I don't know it's real name) that we have down here too (we don't get them often in our particular part of Jersey), which is why I'm even afraid to vacuum them. And, oh god, you gave me another nightmare now .... I'll be forever searching for them in our drinks. EWWWW! I have to find the three (at least) that are roaming around our house now. I was just wondering if anybody had noticed a HUGE jump in numbers of them lately, like I have.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Yet.

Yeah, I remember as a kid seeing one once in a blue, blue moon and it was so cool, because they are kind of pretty. But their numbers are over the top now. Count your lucky stars, Mo ... they may be on their way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    They can fuck up wine too, ladybug taint is a thing. little bastards.
    You must have amazing vision, WCH. I can barely see the ladybug, much less its taint.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.

A*O

It's global warming of course. Obama says so.

We don't really get ladybirds here, our bugs are WAY scarier.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^^ Huntsman spider swarms.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's global warming of course.
    of course it is. Just like your bunnies and cane toads.

No, no, no. Do NOT turn this into a spider thread. I beg of you.

Thread Information