Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By azoria
  • 2 Post By JazzyGirl
  • 1 Post By Beeyotch
  • 1 Post By Brookie
  • 1 Post By Flygirl

Thread: Genius Silvertop House For Sale For First Time Since 1974

Default Genius Silvertop House For Sale For First Time Since 1974

Genius Silvertop House For Sale For First Time Since 1974 - New to Market - Curbed LA

[Photos by Cameron Carothers]
    We never met a home by Organic Modernist John Lautner we didn't like, but this one--nicknamed Silvertop--is a particular favorite, so it's exciting to hear, via the Wall Street Journal, that it's on the market for the first time in 40 years, asking $7.5 million. The design incorporates "interlocking half-circles," loads of windows to showcase the incredible views from the home' hillside perch, and an exquisite concrete dome--Lautner's first use of "monolithic concrete" for sculptural as well as architectural purposes, says the LA Conservancy.
    The home was commissioned in 1956 for Kenneth Reiner, who made a small fortune on ladies hair clips and aviation patents. He worked very closely with Lautner to create this house, and Lautner built elements into the home specifically according to Reiner's specifications; in the event that the equipment didn't exist to meet those specifications, Reiner would often design and make the necessary piece for Lautner. some Reiner-designed elements in the home include "lights that pivot into the ceiling, and electrically-controlled skylights."

The result of all the efforts of the two men was an incredible home, with "faucet-less sinks that automatically filled with water; a dining table with a hydraulic pedestal that was lowered for cocktails and elevated for meals; a system for heating and cooling that could not be seen or heard; and controls for lights and appliances that were discreetly set into walls and doors jambs," plus a cantilevered driveway, as the LA Times noted in their obituary for Reiner, who passed away in 2011.
    The construction of Silvertop was only supposed to cost $75,000, but it ended up being closer to $1 million. A poorly-timed row with a business partner left Reiner bankrupt and forced to sell the house before construction was finished. The current owners bought the home in 1974 and hired Lautner to finish the job shortly after.
    The three-bedroom, four-bathroom house spans 4,721 square feet, and includes a guesthouse (which contains a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and a photography darkroom), and a workshop on the property, according to the listing. The asking price again was $7.5 million.

L.A. Home Designed by John Lautner to List for $7.5 Million [WSJ] Architecture for Sale: Silvertop [Official site] The Man Who Helped Make Lautner's Silvertop a Reality [Curbed LA] Silvertop archives [Curbed LA]

The comments on this article are well worth reading, the contractor who built the house chimed in.

And here is a worthwhile video of the house, including the construction phase.

OrangeSlice likes this.

This is 0one of those places where I appreciate the design of everything, but don't really like it. Lmao. Views and the pool are great.
    thordis and sparkles like this.

Those are the only things I like too, you'd have to gut those whole place.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    This is 0one of those places where I appreciate the design of everything, but don't really like it. Lmao. Views and the pool are great.
    Agreed. It's impressive because of all the elements that were specifically designed for it, but damn it's really ugly.
    Brookie likes this.

I agree - great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. It lacks warmth.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

czb

it looks awesome. i bet someone with vision could furnish it and make it a wonderful home.

The fireplace looks like it was sculpted from the Elephant Man's head.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I would do it. I would totally live there.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

The maintenance costs would be terrible. "Uh, I need someone to fix the hydraulic lift on my dinner table..."
    azoria likes this.

amazing.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Too much wood panelling.

^^ and cement. It looks run down too.

Meet the new owner of Silver Lake’s most expensive home

October 30, 2014

Sorry, Dov Charney but the hillstop estate you paid $4.1 million for is no longer the most expensive home in Silver Lake. That honor now goes to a Space-Age like home designed by John Lautner and recently purchased by Luke Wood, a music and audio products industry executive, for $8.55 million.

Curbed L.A. reported that Wood faced some stiff competition to purchase the home known as Silvertop. Wood ended up paying $1 million over the asking price for the home with a concrete roof and walls of glass in the hills that rise to the west of the Silver Lake reservoir.

What is the owner of Silver Lake’s most expensive home like? Wood has been involved in the music business in publicity and marketing for more than 20 years, working with such artists as Nirvana and Elliott Smith. He also performed in a band called Sammy during the 1990s.

In 2011 Wood left behind the recording industry to become President of Culver City-based Beats Electronics, the maker of high-end headphones that was founded by hip hop producer Dr. Dre and recording industry executive Jimmy lovine.

Wood has lived in Silver Lake for many years and owns a home only a few blocks away from Silvertop, which he plans to move into and renovate with the guidance of architect Barbara Bestor, according to Curbed.

Wood and his family are expected to move into their new home next summer.

Thread Information