• 2 Post By Chalet
  • 2 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By Kathie_Moffett
  • 2 Post By Belt Up
  • 1 Post By stella blue
  • 1 Post By Belt Up

Thread: New York City Home

Default New York City Home

Call me crazy, but I love that bathroom wallpaper! I am getting ready to do my half bath and I am thinking a nice, bold, somewhat tacky wallpaper is just what the doctor ordered!

Looks pretty good to me. It's got character. I like it.
    Jazzy likes this.

Beautifully done. I would love to know the entire budget on it. If those Arbus cabinets in the living room (against the wall - shagreen (shark skin) are signed pieces, they are about 60,000 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    Call me crazy, but I love that bathroom wallpaper! I am getting ready to do my half bath and I am thinking a nice, bold, somewhat tacky wallpaper is just what the doctor ordered!
    Love it too. A big pattern of something you love can make a small bath very exciting. I've always loved the running zebras which used to be in a restaurant in NY and then they made it available to the public.

Kathie_Moffett and Flygirl like this.

I like it all except for the kitchen. For an 8500 sq ft home (according to the article), the kitchen could be a little more impressive. On another note, 8500 sq ft in NYC? Holy smokes

i like this a lot, minus those two sofas.
    Jazzy and KrisNine like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'd live there.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I LOVE this. Class and taste and very romantic, to me anyway. That shade of pink on the living room walls is catnip. Really just the perfect pink. Agree about the sofas--they don't look comfortable, mostly--but what an incredible place. Want that outdoor bathtub/garden! Hope the ginger kitty is included.

From the original article:

"Uptown Underground: How Steven Harris Architects Crafted One of New York’s Most Surprising Homes

It took the team at Steven Harris Architects four years to complete the renovation and decoration of this home, a process that involved excavating granite bedrock to create a basement pool, wine cellar, gym, and workshop. The firm was well-equipped: Harris, the architect, Lucien Rees Roberts, the interior designer, and David Kelly, the landscape architect, have much experience making magic. “We’ve probably done 60 to 70 houses in the city,” notes Harris. “But this was particularly interesting. It’s an unusual and quirky house; it is highly idiosyncratic and episodic. There is no spatial transparency at all.”

This is an architect’s way of pointing out that, in this home, there’s more than meets the eye. The façade is classic, but the footprint of the building extends to the rear property line. Within are 8,500 square feet of living space, spread out over eight stories. There’s no central stairwell, as one might expect; each floor connects with the next at a different point.

Taming what is by any standard a huge home—and by Manhattan standards, it’s colossal—began with a gut renovation, in which even the joists were replaced. From there, the firm turned to the décor. “The house had been redone in a kind of baroque extravaganza in the late 1990s,” says Rees Roberts. “It had lots of columns, moldings, gilt, and festooned drapery.” Rees Roberts and Harris traveled to Asia, where the homeowners lived at the time, to study their clients’ lifestyle and tastes.

Within Rees Roberts’s interior, each space has its own character, informed by one of the family’s various passions. The master bath suite, for example, boasts a giant inlay of black and white stone polka dots reminiscent of Dorothy Draper; the floor of the wet room beyond is carpeted with spongy moss evocative of a Zen garden. Other rooms nod to interests as diverse as the quiet refinement of mid-20th-century Japanese design and the work of the designers Gilbert Poillerat and André Arbus, who were active in France during the same period. There’s not a recessed ceiling light in evidence, not a flat-screen in sight.

The building’s depth afforded the team an interesting opportunity; rather than a traditional rear garden, Kelly created four distinct green spaces. There’s a courtyard garden on the main floor; a terrace off the breakfast room, just big enough for alfresco dining; the rooftop lawn, complete with outdoor fireplace; and the very private viewing garden, meant to be observed but never entered. On this, Kelly collaborated with Shunmyo Masuno, a Zen priest and noted garden designer, who flew in from Japan to install rocks chosen from the same quarry where Isamu Noguchi found the material for his sculptures.

This level of detail accounts for the length of the process. “The clients were meticulously involved in every single decision,” Harris says. “Every air-conditioner diffuser grill is bespoke. Every piece of hardware was obsessed over.” As an example, the kitchen’s drawer glides are made of wood, so they open more softly. This house is a showstopper, unquestionably, but it was not conceived of as a spectacle.

“It isn’t just what the home looks like,” Harris says. “It’s how it operates and feels, how things open and close and move. My clients are people of extraordinary intelligence and refined sensibilities, and they are both at three removes from the obvious. There is no hedge-fund art here. There is nothing where you walk in and say, ‘Wow, look at that.’ ”

*This article appeared in the Summer 2014 issue of New York Design Hunting.

Dorothy Draper bathroom:

roof garden with outdoor fireplace:

Last edited by Kathie_Moffett; August 3rd, 2014 at 09:17 AM.
    Belt Up likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I'd be prepared to sacrifice a limb to live there.
    ikmccall and stella blue like this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I love it. LOVE it. But, yeah, those sofas need to be burned. Ugly and uncomfortable.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    I'd be prepared to sacrifice a limb to live there.
    Yep. Not a leg, though, because 8 stories and all.
    Shinola likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    Yep. Not a leg, though, because 8 stories and all.
    I'd shuffle up and down on my arse, I'm not proud
    stella blue likes this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Thread Information