Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 3 Post By Bluebonnet
  • 2 Post By Laurent

Thread: Mansion Clings to Collapsing Cliff in Texas

Default Mansion Clings to Collapsing Cliff in Texas

Crews to set fire to home dangling over edge of Lake Whitney cliff

LAUREN ZAKALIK 9:01 p.m. CDT June 12, 2014

A luxury house perched on a cliff with a spectacular view of Lake Whitney has started falling into the water.(Photo: WFAA News)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

HILL COUNTY — It's a jaw-dropping cliffhanger that may be resolved Friday, weather permitting.
    RELATED: Luxury home clings to collapsing cliff at Lake Whitney
    "Like any cliffhanger, I guess we're all watching and waiting, you know," said neighbor Connie Ash.
    A home dangerously dangling on the edge of a cliff in a Lake Whitney subdivision will be set on fire Friday at 10 a.m., according to Tom Hemrick, the emergency management coordinator for Hill County.
    Hemrick said the White Bluff Fire Department will be on scene to make sure surrounding homes are protected. According to Hemrick, the company in charge of the demolition is the same as the one that was in charge of the Texas Stadium implosion.
    Hemrick said the fire will start in the attic; the hope is then the house burns inwards.
    Earlier Thursday, officials looked into whether the home could be pulled back by cables onto stable ground; it turned out not to be a viable option.
    RELATED: Sheriff: Authorities seek options for home dangling over cliff
    Appraised at more than $700,000, the home was built in 2008 and was bought by the current homeowners in 2012.
    According to homeowner Rob Webb, who is now in Florida dealing with a personal issue, the home was inspected before it was purchased.
    "It's like, 'Is that really my home? Or is that something else that you're watching on TV.' And then you're like, "Good grief, that is my home,'" Webb said. "Yeah, it's a trying time, certainly."
    Webb also said he and his wife purchased home insurance, but they just found out it doesn't cover earth movement. It is unclear how much the demolition will cost, but Webb is picking up the bill.
    The homeowner said he spent his retirement savings on the home and is devastated.
    The Hill County Sheriff's Office will be providing security around the fire, and local fire departments will stand watch to ensure everything goes safely.
    But crews are racing against the clock. Rainy weather Thursday night threatens to cause the land to give way more than it already has.
    E-mail lzakalik@wfaa.com

Crews to set fire to home dangling over edge of Lake Whitney cliff
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

People (especially wealthy people) seem to be really fond of buying these cliff-side houses. But a lot of times you see really obvious erosion problems. This guy's neighbors better start thinking about what their exit strategies are going to be.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    People (especially wealthy people) seem to be really fond of buying these cliff-side houses. But a lot of times you see really obvious erosion problems. This guy's neighbors better start thinking about what their exit strategies are going to be.
    Allegedly, the owners who bought it had a "geologist" tell them it would be OK. I'd sue his ass.
    BITTER, JazzyGirl and Shinola like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Allegedly, the owners who bought it had a "geologist" tell them it would be OK. I'd sue his ass.
    What blows me away is that that whole cliff-side area looks like limestone. And limestone is the rock that is causing a lot of sinkholes in Florida. I bet a little bit of that cliff washes away every time it rains.

So the weather last night didn't help it on its way?

And the people who sold the house in 2012 just let out a collective **WHEW**
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I can't believe anyone could lull them into that. You don't have to be an expert to see that buying a house an asshair from the ledge is Russian Roulette.
    Bluebonnet and Bellatheball like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

A*O

Chalk cliffs are notoriously unstable. The guy was a fool to buy it and the fact he couldn't get insurance should have been a big clue it was a bad idea.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Texas Homeowners Burned Their $700,000 Villa That Was Hanging Off A Cliff

• Jun. 13, 2014, 1:04 PM

via WFAA.com

On Wednesday, a huge chunk of ground under a home in Whitney, Tex. fell into a lake, leaving the home, valued at over $700,000, teetering on the edge of a cliff. The owners of the 4,000-square-foot villa, Rob Webb and his wife, decided to burn it down. Local news station WFAA-TV streamed aerial footage of the burning on live TV.
    Screenshots of the controlled burn below:
    via WFAA.com

A big chunk of the house fell into the lake:Screenshot via WFAA-TV

There were 16 firefighters on hand to watch the fire.via WFAA.com

The owners of the home watched the fire from Florida, according to WFAA. "It isn't until you see the deck that you used to sit on to look at the lake ... it's gone," one of the owners said in an interview.
    Screenshot via WFAA-TV

"I wanted to leave it to my grandchildren," they added. "It's a big hit."
    Screenshot via WFAA-TV

Screenshot via WFAA-TV

screenshot via WFAA.com

The house on Lake Whitney has been unoccupied since the owners abandoned it two weeks ago. It was declared unsafe for habitation about a year ago, according to WFAA-TV, after a crack was discovered in the cliff beneath the home. Roughly a fifth of the home collapsed into the lake prior to the fire. Here's what it looked like ahead of the fire.
    AP

The luxury vacation home was built in 2008 and the Webbs purchased it in 2012 with their retirement savings, according to WFAA-TV. At the time, it was far away from the bluff and presumably safe. Mark Wilson, the chief deputy for the Hill County Sheriff’s Department, told Reuters that “there is just a lot of the bluff that gave way.” Roughly 150 feet of land has eroded since February, and despite no longer living on the property, the owners are tasked with cleaning up the rubble. Webb told WFAA-TV that he and his wife did purchase home insurance, but that their plan does not cover "earth movement." It is unknown at this time how much the demolition will cost.
    After consulting with demolition experts and the U.S. Army Corps Engineers, the owners burned down the house, and will move the debris to stable land before having crews remove the slab foundation, according to the AP.
    Here's how close the home was to the edge:
    AP

Texas Owners Say Will Burn Home On Cliff - Business Insider

where's hwbl?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

^^^ *snort*

a sinkhole in a cliff? wow. that is so sad, though. they put their retirement savings into this house and now it's gone.

Thread Information