Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By A*O
  • 2 Post By Bellatheball
  • 2 Post By palta
  • 1 Post By Bellatheball
  • 1 Post By Chalet

Thread: Need some self-professed designers!

Default Need some self-professed designers!

I need help from any self-professed design experts.

We built our house 10 years ago and the builder installed granite countertops but didn't include the typical 4 inch back splash with it. It's nearly impossible to match the same granite so we are trying to come up with other options for a backsplash now. We have about 36 linear feet pf space so I don't want anything too busy. Our house is a bit more contemporary so I don't think natural stones will look right. We are leaning towards a grayish taupe glass subway tile but I'd love any other suggestions.

This is NOT my own kitchen but the cabinets are the same (natural stained maple) and the counter looks right. We also have stainless and maple floors like this photo.

The granite is black with some greens, browns and flecks of gold. The pattern looks a bit bold close up but, at a distance, it just looks black.

This is one we really like but we'd choose a different grout color for sure!!

That looks fine to me. I think you have it right.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

I'm sure you already know but DO NOT get stainless steel splash backs. They are a nightmare to keep clean (or even looking clean). Every single effing mark shows. I had ours ripped out ASAP.

I like your idea with glass but would find a slightly warmer shade than flat grey/taupe. Something that would pick up the gold/warm tones of the cabinets and the goldy flecks in the granite. N

If it was me I'd go mad and pick a really bold colour like slut red or pumpkin orange or put some accent patterns like stripes or different textures but that's probably too much for most people.
    Lalasnake likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

i like the tile you picked but if it's the exact same one that's in the picture of the kitchen you posted, i would pick a slightly cooler grey. and i definitely wouldn't pick a warmer colour because that's exactly what it looks like they did in the first picture you posted and honestly, all i see is a sea of beige. a slightly cool grey would complement nicely with the cool elements in the granite, and the stainless appliances, and create a bit of contrast with the cabinets to keep things a little bit interesting.
    also, i love your granite. it's really pretty.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    They are a nightmare to keep clean (or even looking clean). Every single effing mark shows.
    My friend discovered the secret to keeping stainless unsmudged. Clean thoroughly and then polish with a clean lint-free rag that has the tiniest amount of mineral oil on it. It shouldn't look or feel oily. Fingerprints will just wipe right off. I did the fridge and it is amazing. I assume at some point I'll have to solidly clean again and repeat but it's been almost two weeks and it still looks great.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

"Property Brothers" uses a lovely grey/green glass subway tile on the show a lot, and it would be nice with the light cabinets and bring out the green flecks in the granite, while still being very neutral and unobtrusive. I want a kitchen with that color subway tile as a backsplash.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    My friend discovered the secret to keeping stainless unsmudged. Clean thoroughly and then polish with a clean lint-free rag that has the tiniest amount of mineral oil on it. It shouldn't look or feel oily. Fingerprints will just wipe right off. I did the fridge and it is amazing. I assume at some point I'll have to solidly clean again and repeat but it's been almost two weeks and it still looks great.
    A quick wipe with WD40 + kitchen paper towel will clean it but it's a constant job. Stainless steel fridges are even worse, finger marks especially. The "no mark" matte finish appliances are much better.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I think I've talked him into a darker green glass subway tile with some accent tile. Just can't figure out how the accents should go.
    McJag and sputnik like this.

I would go with cooler tones, something like this maybe:

sputnik and Brookie like this.

Oh! I do like that. Maybe different colors (that looks a little spa-bluish to me). The woman at the tile store was trying to explain this exact look to me earlier today. Thanks!

OMG, found this and love it so much. It's the tile on the left. I'd use it as an accent with a green glass subway tile. Tried the combo in our kitchen tonight and it was fantastic!

sluce likes this.

Bella - that's GREAT. Love it.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

That's Ubatuba granite you have for your counters. Great looking, a lot of depth. That glass tile will give it a pop and it's sophisticated too.
    McJag likes this.

Thread Information