Thread: Louis Vuitton realises unbuilt Charlotte Perriand beach house in Miami

Default Louis Vuitton realises unbuilt Charlotte Perriand beach house in Miami

Louis Vuitton realises unbuilt Charlotte Perriand beach house in Miami

A previously unrealised beach house designed by modernist architect Charlotte Perriand in 1934 has been constructed and furnished by French fashion house Louis Vuitton to coincide with this year's Design Miami fair.
    Charlotte Perriand's La Maison au Bord de l'Eau, or the house beside the water, has been built by Louis Vuitton using sketches and drawings almost eighty years after it was first conceived.
    The project was initially conceived for a competition to design cheap holiday lodging, held by French architecture magazine L'Architecture d'Aujourd'hui.
    Perriand's design won second prize and was later reworked for wealthy vacationers, but the original scheme was never built.
    Now constructed in the beach-side garden at The Raleigh Hotel on Miami's South Beach, the small house is raised on wooden cuboids above the sand and accessed by a ramp at the back.
    Two wings fronted by sliding glass doors are connected by a semi-enclosed corridor at the rear, creating a U-shaped plan.
    Bedrooms containing beds designed by Perriand are located on one side, along with the bathroom. The kitchen, dining and living areas are housed in the opposite wing.
    Wood clads the walls and floor, and is used for the majority of the furniture.
    A central deck is covered with a fabric canopy, which drains via a hole in the centre positioned above a plant pot.
    Accents of blue used for rounded lighting covers and counter tops match the corrugated roof.
    The project follows Louis Vuitton's Ico^nes Spring Summer 2014 fashion collection that took its influences from Perriand.
    Work by the modernist designer is currently on display as part of an exhibition about how women shaped twentieth-century design, on show at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York.
    At Design Miami last year, Louis Vuitton showed a collection of leather portable objects including pieces by designers Fernando and Humberto Campana.

New Orleans

I like it except for those stump chairs.

Seattle, Washington

So you can just fold it up and put it away when you're done?
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

On the Hellmouth

I'm so over these pale wood walls. The whole place is like the inside of a sauna. I like how open and airy it is and that it's so close to the sand but one big storm and that thing is either matchsticks or floating off to sea.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I do not care for it.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

fellow traveller

it would be a cool little beach bungalow/vacation home.
    i love charlotte perriand. i lust after so many of her furniture designs.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Louis Vuitton fashion collection influenced by Modernist architect Charlotte Perriand - DeZeen

The life and work of Modernist architect Charlotte Perriand is referenced in this womenswear collection by French fashion house Louis Vuitton.

Louis Vuitton's Spring Summer 2014 Icônes collection coincides with the creation of a previously unrealised beach house by Perriand during this year's Design Miami exhibition.

Perriand's investigations into standardisation and modular furniture led Louis Vuitton's designers to create garments that can be matched with each other in various combinations.

Returning from Japan in the 1940s, the French architect wrote: "A new way of living awaited me there: work, leisure, discovery, representation. I had made up my wardrobe with interchangeable 'modules,' as in my investigations of standardisation: four skirts, long or short, for the lower body and sweaters, blouses and bustiers for the top, all of which combined to give me at least 16 possibilities."

This idea also informed adaptable garments including a reversible yellow jacket with removable sleeves. The bold colours and geometric shapes of Perriand's designs influenced the tones and prints used throughout the collection.

Complimentary colours such as blue and orange are used together to create high contrast, while gingham checks and earthy tones add to the 1940s aesthetic. Expandable bags are designed to be easily changed for different occasions.

Charlotte Perriand is best known for her work with fellow Modernist designers Le Corbusier and Jean Prouvé during the mid-twentieth century. Since her death in 1999, she has become more widely recognised as a designer in her own right as the result of exhibitions that featured her work, including MoMA's Designing Modern Women.

Thread Information