Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By palta

Thread: Borreraig House on a Scottish Island

Default Borreraig House on a Scottish Island

Borreraig House on a Scottish island by Dualchas Architects

Scottish firm Dualchas Architects used Scottish stone and larch to build this single-storey house on the Isle of Skye.
    Named Borreraig House, the part-time residence was designed by Dualchas Architects for a Buddhist, who inherited a plot of land on the largest of Scotland's Inner Hebrides islands.
    "The intention was to create a calm, contemplative space for our client to escape the city and spend time with his friends," said architect Neil Stephen.
    The house is divided into three rectilinear blocks, each with a simple gabled roof. Exterior walls are clad with horizontally arranged larch panels, which sit flush against the edges of the corrugated metal roofs.
    "Materials were chosen which were found in the surrounding landscape - metal from the galvanised gates, larch from the fence posts and stone from walls and fanks," said the architect.
    The first block contains a continuous living space that can be subdivided into a study, kitchen, dining room and lounge, while an adjoining second block accommodates a pair of bedrooms and a utility room.
    A smaller third building sits off to one corner, creating a studio for quiet work and study.
    Oak-faced plywood lines walls and ceilings throughout the house, and Scottish stone was used for the floors.

olivia likes this.

I like that they used reclaimed material and the way it fits into the landscape. I could sit om the kitchen/dining area and look out all day if they had better dining chairs.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

fellow traveller

i love the exterior. the colour of that wood. it reminds me of the minimal constructions in patagonia, another rugged and extreme landscape.
    inside, i like the kitchen but not a fan of anything else.
    i like the stone floors for the kitchen and bathroom but i would have gone with hardwood everywhere else, and more white walls.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

It's an good raw space...except for perhaps that indirect lighting (are those connected to solar panels?) It looks like a doctors' complex now but it could be easily decorated.
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Being Paula

I like the traditional croft theme and look which suits the landscape very well. The warm wood interiors are probably very welcome in winter.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

the salad bowl

Those ugly floors kill it.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Rain is just going to run down the exterior walls. I love the view from the kitchen though.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Thread Information