Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: A 1970s Cold War Era Home Built 26 Feet Underground

Default A 1970s Cold War Era Home Built 26 Feet Underground

http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/0...t-underground/

If the Bomb doesn't kill ya, the decor will!

You wouldn’t happen to be in the market for a 1970s underground family home, equipped to live in for up to a year without resurfacing in the event of a nuclear missile strike that wipes out humanity, would ya? Because it just so happens one has just come onto the market. And this piece of real estate gold could be all yours for the bargain price of $1.7 million.

The subterranean Las Vegas home at 3970 Spencer St., Paradise, Nevada--near Flamingo Road--boasts a 15,200-square-foot basement beneath a two story home above ground. From the street, number 3970 looks like any other American home, except with a few extra ventilation and air conditioning units planted around the yard. Camouflaged by clusters of rocks, an entrance with an elevator takes you down to the underground lair. Another stairway is hidden inside a shed.

The house was built in 1978 to withstand a nuclear blast by an arguably ‘paranoid’ wealthy businessman, Girard “Jerry” B. Henderson. The ambitious homeowner made his fortune with several companies including Avon cosmetics and Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. In 1964, he tried his hand at another business venture and formed his company, ”Underground World Homes”. Convinced that things with the Soviets weren’t going to end well in the Cold War, Henderson tried pitching his vision of underground living to America. At the New York World’s Fair in the mid sixties, his company sponsored the exhibit, “Why Live Underground”. But if Henderson was going to wait out the end of the world underground, he was going to do it in style.

And when I say style, I’m talking pink kitchen trim, pink toilets, green “grass” carpets, hot tubs, fake trees and a 360-degree mural mimicking an elaborate outdoor landscape, of course.

The house is pretty much a time capsule of 1970s decor, with those handy little amenities such as a toaster built into the kitchen wall. There are three bedrooms in total, one in a guest house (but don’t forget about the two bedroom two-storey house above ground, you know, in case armageddon doesn’t happen).

Henderson originally built a tunnel connecting to the building next door where he worked, but that was later filled in. The “garden” includes a four-hole putting green, a swimming pool, two jacuzzis, a sauna, dance floor, bar, BBQ (camouflaged in a rock) and adjustable light settings for “sunset,” “day,” “dusk” and “night”. The night setting comes complete with twinkling stars, naturally.

Since Henderson and his wife passed away in the 1980s, the house has been acquired by a relative, followed by the most recent owner from Chicago who bought it in 2005 for $2 million, but lost it to foreclosure last summer. It is now the property of Seaway Bank & Trust Co who are looking for some, err, adventurous new owners to take it off their hands. One potential buyer came all the way from Hawaii to see the property with the hopes of turning the time capsule home into a tourist attraction. Amazingly, his business partners didn’t go for it.

I personally think it’s just perfect for the impending zombie apocalypse.

Here's a video with a virtual tour of the place:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/multime...r-era-hideaway
    Last edited by Kathie_Moffett; September 6th, 2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: added name of actual town/state
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

That's a lot of ugly in one place.

I'd rather die of radiation poisoning than live in that thing.
    Tiny Pixie, Laurent, Honey and 5 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think it's hysterical. I'd love to see it furnished and go see it some day.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I think it's awesome. It's a time capsule. Plus, I love the optimism. A pool? Really, you think after nuclear armageddon you'll be wasting water on a pool? The grill hidden in the rock makes me smile. The whole place is a riot.

I'm diggin that pink kitchen!
    Laurent likes this.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

It would be great to visit, that's true. Or to spend a night in.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

What was that Brendan Frasier movie where they lived in this exact house? I want to go see it!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

^Blast from the past. I like that movie. Christopher Walken was in it.
    gas_chick likes this.

It would be a great place to stick the Kardashians. Then seal it up and cover it with rocks.
    Trixie and CornFlakegrl like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

So very very creepy and unsettling.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

It's so tacky but i love it

Love it. As a kid I always thought it would be so cool to have a house that looked like a tiny shack, but was in fact an underground fabulous mansion. This place really speaks to me! Same decor I was imagining too, except mine had way more purple.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    It would be great to visit, that's true. Or to spend a night in.
    A theme park B & B! I was thinking I wish someone would do something creative and funny with the place.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    It would be a great place to stick the Kardashians. Then seal it up and cover it with rocks.
    This is a brilliant idea.

I kind of like the place too. I admit it. It's a museum of gorgeous tacky tack, 1970s style. Only thing missing: this lime green wicker breakfast set. Sorry I couldn't find a better pic of it. But really, a wee glimpse is enough.

courtesy "Impulse" (1974), Bill Shatner's finest film.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Gold flocked wallpaper on the ceiling. Wow, to have that much money and bad taste at the same time. But the laundry room in the video looks as big as my living room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information