Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum cleaners

Default Vacuum cleaners

Ok we had to throw our vacuum cleaner out, it started to smoke and when you would turn it on it would make a awful noise so I tossed it. Of couse my husband was like "I could have worked on it" I love you honey but cars are your area not vacuum cleaners.
    So I dont know what to get, brand and size. Any suggestions
    We have a small house, tile, some carpet and hardwood. I was looking at Wal-Mart just to get an idea of what is out there and I just got confused. I dont want anything heavy.
    I remember when I was little, back in the 70's, we had a round container and it was tan color with a separate hose and attachment. Nothing like what is out there now, all uprights. My dad had that thing until like 5 yrs ago. It was good.
    Thanks

Elite Member

I would like to resurrect this thread because I hate my vacuum with a passion. Bought it January 2006 and DH talked me into a bagless. Big mistake. Not only do I have to empty the little container after every single room, but the filters get clogged up and I have to change them every time I vacuum (so about once a week). And the filters are washable, but washing them is nasty. First I have to pull the dusty, hairy crap off the outside and then I have to soak them in soapy water and rinse. And then they sit out on my kitchen counters to dry! I have dust mite allergies and I don't need all this crap. I want to go back to a bagged vacuum. Any suggestions?

I am looking at the Oreck and the Kenmore Progressive, both which get mostly good reviews, but both are expensive. I am looking at upright models.

Oreck Pros: Lightweight, folds all the way down to allow to vacuum under beds, has a good warranty with free maintenance (and we have a Oreck store nearby). Also, they say they will let you try it for 30 days and you can bring it back if you don't like it.

Oreck Cons: Expensive, replacement bags could be expensive and get filled quickly (I have pet hair), no on board tools (I think), not sure how it works on stairs

Kenmore Pros: Consumer Reports rated #1, on board tools (but not sure how long the hose is), no maintenance available.

Kenmore Cons: Very heavy (could be a problem using it on stairs).

Any recommendations for upright bagged vacs?

To be honest, I have a dirt devil cannister that I paid about $150 for around five years ago. Best vacuum ever! I don't know if they accidentally souped it up at the factory, but that thing rocks. And it's cheap!

^^Hey, we have one of those too. Noisy as hell, but works great.

I have one of those upright cannister vacuum cleaners too.. i'm not sure who said they're easier than bags cuz they're a fucking pain in the ass.

Gotta empty out the cannister (no big deal) but then you have to somehow de-gunk the stupid filter inside of it which becomes encrusted with TONS of dust..

then it has a HEPA filter in a seperate compartment that I'm sure needs to be replaced, but it's screwed in and I cant for the life of me figure out where to get another one from (cant pick it up in any dept. stores)...

The damn thing, for all it's vaunted filtering abilities, still seems to spit out that funky dusty vacuum cleaner smell anyway. Wtf is the point?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^I know, but I make my husband do all that dirty stuff. Hubby buys the HEPA filters at the drugstore.

We finally broke down & got a Dyson. Yes-the cost is obscene. We got the pet hair model and WOW. It works like crazy. I have come to the conclusion our carpet was just filthy-it took 3 full out vacuumings for the living room before the canister stopped filling with this nasty stuff! It is not heavy-just feels "secure" and if you can bite the bullet & get one it is really great.I looked at Consumer Reports first and the only thing it lacks that they recommend is a retractable cord. This one is nice & long. I finally made the decision after seeing so many great comments on it. Worth the money. Never thought I'd say that!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^Hmm...something to consider. I hate to think of how much cat hair must be on our area rugs.

How much was the obscene amount of money?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Some crackheads burgled my sister's place and they took a bike and the vacuum cleaner...

Elite Member

Dysons are bagless, aren't they? If so, not interested.

Yeah, they're the big yellow ones with a big fat cannister.. they 'never lose suction' apparently.

i bet they're easier to empty/clean than mine.

Mine requires a bag - I'd never get a bagless. I get the bags at the dollar store, so it's really cheap to run.

I'd love to have a dyson, but we're hardwood floor people, so I can't justify the cost at this point in time.

Oh, I love my Dyson!!! 4 cats and a shedding lab and that thing is still going strong. I have the purple one...meant for pet hair. The filter is washable, so you don't have to replace it. I paid $500 for mine about 5 years ago. The canister is big on that sucker and I have to dump it frequently when I vacuum because it picks up so much stuff.

It works great on hardwood and tile, too. Fantastic with cat litter

Eli

I have one and have yet to try that special thing that apparently a lot of guys do with them? Sounds disgusting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information