Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Str8_uncut-jock

Thread: Advice on Adding a Very Small Bedroom

Default Advice on Adding a Very Small Bedroom

Hey y'all! I need your advice! I live in a relatively small, historic cottage and I need more space. Specifically, if I want to resell my house at a later date, I need to add another bedroom and bath. I have space for a full bathroom on my first floor, but am looking at adding a small bedroom. I have a side porch which is never used, as I have a large back deck that is much more private. The porch has access off my living room and I think it is the perfect location for a small guest bedroom (it could have access to a full bathroom...if you create a doorway inside the room to reconnect it). Here's the big/small issue...the porch is only 7'4" wide and 14'3" long...which means the bedroom would be just shy of 7x14 (not counting the closet which would go outside that area. I can't add any more space to the porch to make it larger because I live in an urban area and the house is pretty much aligned with the property line on that side). So, is that incredibly too small? Is it a waste of money to enclose that space to make an extra bedroom? Would you feel comfortable in that space, especially as a guest room or home office that could be used as a small bedroom? I guess my gut tells me its a pretty small space, but the minimum space allowed by our building codes is a 7X10...so this is actually bigger than the minimum. Thoughts?

If you would use the porch space more if you enclosed it, I say do it. I don't think it would be wasted. It sounds small, but could you fit a bed and dresser? OR even a desk and chair? I have a similar situation myself where I want to make my half bath a full bath and add an extra room for a possible 3rd bedroom. You don't have to make the bath have a tub. It could have a small shower instead. Just trying to give you some ideas. I think any extra room that you know you will use is never a waste. I hope I helped you some.

Well considering everything I know I have learned on HGTV, I may not be of help. Of course just make sure you get the proper permits and to be considered a bedroom it has to have certain things included, such as a window or closet, or something like that but I am not sure.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

It's narrow but it'd be fine with a single bed, and I wouldn't have a problem staying there. My bedroom is about 10x10.

Thank you! It will certainly have several windows and a standard 2x5 closet (outside of the 7x14 square footage for the bedroom itself). Also, the bathroom is not included in that square footage but is a small room too (5x10, with a walk-in shower, vanity and toilet...big enough, but not a large luxurious space per se). Based on other forums I have been on, I think that while the room is incredibly small by todays standards, it isn't necessarily uncommon for older homes. It would accommodate a day bed or a twin bed and a side table or something...and maybe a desk as well. My other bedrooms are small incomparison to todays large mega houses anyway...10x11 and 11x16. I am leaning towards enclosing the space, but I guess my fear is that people will not consider it a real functioning bedroom because it is so small.

I think it could be a small home office/guest bedroom but not a proper functioning one for someone to use full time. My roommate and I have a 3rd 'bedroom' off one side of the living room that is a bit wider than yours would be (7'3") but a little bit shorter (about 12ft). The length is less than an issue than the width. You could only really fit a twin bed in there or a double or queen but it would be entirely enclosed by 3 walls Our little room is good as an office and a guest bedroom and as my extra closet but not as a bedroom except maybe for a little kid.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

fgg

i say do it!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Yes do it! I saw one article(it may have been Martha Stewart) that suggested using a small step ladder instead of a table by the bed. So, what if you jazzed up a short ladder and hung it on the wall as a bed table? This room could be so cute no one would care if it was used or not!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Go to Houzz.com and type 7X14 bedroom in the search button.Lots of photos and you can choose the style and decor as well.Great site.

Thanks Politesse! I searched with those parameters, but didn't get anything useable....but I did search "small bedroom" and found lots of great ideas! I've had HOUZZ on my phone forever, but just figured out, based on your advice, that you can search for specific things! I had never been on the actual website before. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    politesse likes this.

Can you keep us in the loop? This sounds like such a fun project.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information