Thread: Wrought iron lighting fixtures/chandeliers

Default Wrought iron lighting fixtures/chandeliers

Looking for advice. My friend bought a house and there are a ton of wrought iron looking/style light fixtures all over the house. This is not her style and they don't have the money to replace all of the fixtures (they had to do a lot of flooring, kitchen and bath work). Anyway, before they dig deep into their wallets and pay the thousands of dollars to replace all the fixtures, have any of you done a little DIY on something similar? I was trying to help her and we were looking at some other lights and thought about spray painting them black and getting more modern shades. Or even using that Looking Glass spray on some of them.

Any ideas?

I painted all the light fixtures when we first moved here. They were cheap brass coloured and tacky as all get out. It's quite easy. I still have two of them because I quite liked the results.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

^^Thanks, twitch. Good to know. These are cheap looking. They're supposed to be wrought iron, but they're really just hollow metal with a distressed paint job. Did you just spray them with regular spray paint?

I used spray paint on one and a brush on the others. It was a great way for me to use up leftover bits of paint. The overspray from the one left a hilarious black patch on the lawn that made it look like it had been scorched. The kitchen one was the worst because of aerosolized grease from cooking that had coated the thing like some sort of resin. I had to make sure that it was clean and dry so the paint would stick. An old toothbrush is great for the crannies. Scrubbed the bejesus out it.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Paint away! She can have some fade in with the walls, some stand out with a splash of color & at least one masterpiece!
    This sound like a fun project. At Home Depot here, they have a sale section for returns in all sizes and colors for cheap. Don't forget to look there.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I used spray paint on one and a brush on the others. It was a great way for me to use up leftover bits of paint. The overspray from the one left a hilarious black patch on the lawn that made it look like it had been scorched. The kitchen one was the worst because of aerosolized grease from cooking that had coated the thing like some sort of resin. I had to make sure that it was clean and dry so the paint would stick. An old toothbrush is great for the crannies. Scrubbed the bejesus out it.
    She has one in the kitchen, too. It's a weird hanging fixture over an island that the previous owners hung a pot rack around. The pot rack was disgusting and covered in several layers of greasy and greasy dust. She doesn't want that anyway, but needs the light fixture. Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Paint away! She can have some fade in with the walls, some stand out with a splash of color & at least one masterpiece!
    This sound like a fun project. At Home Depot here, they have a sale section for returns in all sizes and colors for cheap. Don't forget to look there.
    I think she's going to end up spraying most of them in a matte black finish. The one in her daughters room she's going to spray kind of funky, with the Looking Glass spray or maybe a lavender/lilac color.

Thread Information