Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Annie Leibovitz's Manhattan Apartment up for sale for $33 Million

Default Annie Leibovitz's Manhattan Apartment up for sale for $33 Million

Photographer Annie Leibovitz has decided to sell her West Village home, which she has lived in for a decade, for $33 million.
    Composed of three separate townhouses, one for living, one for office space and one as guest quarters, the buildings surround a slate patio and private courtyard garden.
    A labor of love, Ms Leibovitz, 63, created the compound after she purchased all three buildings on the corner of Greenwich Street in Manhattan for $6.1million, and gut-renovated all three homes.

Photographers lair: Annie Leibovitz is selling her West Village home, which she has lived in for a decade, for $33 million

The brick buildings, in a Greek Revival style, date back to the 1830s, and include 13 fireplaces in all, with a combined total of more than 10,200 square feet.
    Inside the main home, a main feature is Ms Leibovitz's wide-plank wood floors, which are offset by high ceilings. There is also a formal dining room and chef's kitchen.
    The building that includes the photographers studio has a large reception room.
    Listing broker Paula Del Nunzio, of Brown Harris Stevens said: 'It's very rare to have something like this. She created it.'

Million dollar mansion: The compound is composed of three separate townhouses - one for living, one for office space and one as guest quarters

Ms Leibovitz, best known for her portraits of celebrities such as a Nicole Kidman, Brad Pitt, a pregnant Demi Moore, and even the Queen, began assembling the property in 2002.
    She purchased the first two buildings for $4.2 million, and later acquiring the third townhouse for $1.9 million.
    However in 2009, she was sued over a dispute over the terms of a loan repayment that involved her townhouses and photo archives, which creditors claimed she had put up as collateral, and saw her narrowly miss having to file for bankruptcy.

Manhattan backyard: The buildings surround a slate patio and private courtyard garden

She had borrowed $15.5million after experiencing financial challenges due to the then recent loss of her father, her mother, and her long-time partner, Susan Sontag, as well as the addition of twins to to her family, and the controversial renovation of the three West Village properties.
    At the time, The New York Times noted 'one of the world’s most successful photographers essentially pawned every snap of the shutter she had made or will make until the loans are paid off.'
    A breach of contract lawsuit against Ms Leibovitz was filed by Art Capital Group for $24 million regarding the repayment of her loans.

Icon: Ms Leibovitz, best known for her portraits of celebrities such as a Nicole Kidman, Brad Pitt, a pregnant Demi Moore, and even the Queen, began assembling the property in 2002

However Art Capital Group withdrew its lawsuit against Ms Leibovitz a few months later in 2009 and extended the due date for repayment of the $24 million loan. Under the agreement, Ms Leibovitz continues to retain control over her work, and is still the 'exclusive agent in the sale of her real property (land) and copyrights.'
    According to Ms Del Nunzio, Ms Leibovitz is selling the buildings because she plans to move uptown to be closer to the school of her three daughters - Sarah Cameron Leibovitz who was born in 2001, and her twin girls, Susan and Samuelle, who were born to a surrogate mother in 2005.

Read more:
    Inside Annie Leibovitz's New York home as it goes on sale for $33 million - five times what she originally paid | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I really couldn't care less what the inside looked like, I would take that in a heartbeat. But I do wonder what it looked like and what condition it was in before she gutted it.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

fgg

amazing that someone who wants this has to pay $33M and then lord knows how much to actually make the 3 spaces into one house.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

When I think of an apartment, typically, I think of a unit in a larger building. In this case, it looks like Liebowitz bought multiple units, and owns the whole freaking building. It appears to be completely detached. I think the title of this story should be "Annie Liebowitz sells small Manhattan building for $33 Million."

I didn't even blink when I saw the price, considering the location, but there's also the fact that I'm not in the market for a $33M property.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Such an awesome space. After so much grief getting it the way she wanted it and paying for it, I'm surprised she's giving it up.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I like it, but its a tad pricey for me.

what an incredible space.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'd take it, even thought that is way too much space to take care of.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I love the floors. I would never want to live in Manhattan, but it's a great space.

Oh I wish I lived there!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I think we should all go in on this place together, it can be the GR get-together compound.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

"Composed of three separate townhouses, one for living, one for office space and one as guest quarters, the buildings surround a slate patio and private courtyard garden."

Wow.... just wow. *jaw drops*

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Such an awesome space. After so much grief getting it the way she wanted it and paying for it, I'm surprised she's giving it up.
    This. Just seems so crazy to me.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

She lives across the street from the Spotted Pig restaurant. They have these gnocchi pasta dumplings in browned butter. I hate butter but oh man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information