Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Built-ins for pets

Default Built-ins for pets

Built-ins For Pets

by Allison on April 4, 2011 in Home Decor

Clever ideas to make life easier for pets and their families.

Dogs and cats are a big part of our families and we always want them to be safe and comfortable in our homes. I started collecting various ways to build in pet- friendly sleeping and feeding areas during construction — it would have been better to start in the planning stages. None of these ideas were utilized in our new home, but if there is a next time, I’m ready.
    The top picture was the first one I saved. Tucked under the eaves, there is plenty of space for a large dog to nap or move around – even windows to watch the squirrels. The wood framed metal screen doors don’t appear to have hinges, which makes me wonder if they are pocket doors – both sliding to the left when hidden. That would be a great idea, since it would allow the doors to be out of the way and pets could enter anytime.

Another underutilized area in the home is the space under a staircase. An arched doorway makes this dog den even more special. Remember doors should always be constructed of a material that allows airflow so it’s more comfortable for them.

The door of this bed nook was crafted from a vintage grate and blends into the decor when closed. Thinking outside the box leads to one-of-a-kind features.

Laundry rooms are other good areas to corral pets. This one features a bed niche alongside their bathing sink. A doorless niche is perfect if pets don’t require containment and it keeps the bed from being underfoot. Be sure not to miss the funky dog wallpaper.

A handy husband built this hutch designed by his wife, who happens to be an Atticmag reader. The cat cut-out leads to the hidden litter box. This clever detail could be added to many existing cabinets.

A kitchen remodel is another opportune time to include a kennel and feeding station. Here the resting spot is built up a step, creating a raised area for meals. Raised feeding reduces neck and back strain in larger breeds and also promotes healthy digestion.

A pair of vintage childrens’ chairs were altered to accept stainless bowls. As a chair fanatic, I love this idea but don’t think I could ever alter an older piece.

I’m not keen on these bowls that are dropped into a painted feeding station. It will be constant work to keep clean, but I wanted to show the adorable dog-bone- shaped drawer-pull cut-outs.
    Next time you are planning new construction or remodeling, think ahead to include pet friendly ideas that will benefit the whole family.
    For more pet friendly ideas, see Built-ins For Pets 2.
    (Sources: Do It Yourself, Funk Design, Detroit Home Magazine, laxsupermom, Gardenweb, The Fun Times Guide, Artisan Kitchens) http://www.atticmag.com/2011/04/built-ins-for-pets/

You are here: Home > Built-ins For Pets 2

Built-ins For Pets 2

by Allison on May 9, 2012 in Home Decor

More clever ideas to make life comfy for our fur family.

I continue to collect various ways for us to include pet-friendly areas in our homes. We all know it’s not really whether Mama’a happy – it’s whether our dogs and cats are happy. No “beware of dog” sign needed, as this big guy is all smiles. And who wouldn’t be, with his own space in the mudroom. Humans should be happier too – no bending down to pick-up boots.

The base cabinet next to a doorway puts doggie in prime position for meeting and greeting. Notice this cabinet was designed with him in mind, as there is no knob on the front panel. A washable curtain makes his den more private.

Non-pet owners won’t understand all the beds in eating areas, but pet peeps know (and understand) they are always close by.

Animals love and crave attention, but it’s nice to have a safe place for them to be contained when guests drop by. Here, a window bench at the kitchen table is nestled against a custom crate. Spindle doors not only allow much needed airflow, but still gives them a visual connection to those nearby.

This arched niche is big enough for two. Custom cushions can be fabricated from fast dry foam and outdoor fabrics for easy cleaning.

Out of sight, out of mind? We love our feline friends, but decorating obsessed humans despise the dreaded litter box. This blogger repurposed a vintage chest into a hidden space with an idea and a sharp saw. The drawer boxes were removed and the drawer fronts were attached and hinged. A pet door was placed on the side.

Similar to the cat cut-out in Built-ins For Pets (Part 1), this mudroom laundry room combo has a double door entry with mat (to catch the litter before it hits the wood floors). The litter box is most likely behind door #1 (to the right) and in the dead corner space.

A modern cat cut-out graces this pair of cabinet doors. Notice these two examples extend to the bottom from the door as well (no frame).

Not handy? You can still have a base cabinet litter box – just not as fancy. This one takes up more real estate but gives them the top left shelf for a litter catching mat and storage below. For those with cats that like to push littler out of the box, using a large plastic container solves that problem.

Last, but not least, an under the stair way space gives pets room to roam. A custom iron door adds a decorative touch, as does the heartfelt script above.
    Don’t miss the double duty Utility Room Tub Sink, perfect for bathing pets.
    http://www.atticmag.com/2012/05/built-ins-for-pets-2/

Utility Room Tub Sink

by Jane F on January 18, 2012 in Specialty Sink

Crossing a sink and a small tub creates the perfect place to bathe pets — or kids.

Pet lovers and Moms with active little ones might have fantasized about a practical washing up spot in the utility room, something that’s ideal when the kids come all muddy or Fido needs a quick dunk. A low deep basin also seems perfect for soaking out tablecloth stains or pre-laundering a king size comforter. But I’m betting the elegant custom floor sink in this Vermont laundry room is designed for the family pooch. And what a design it is. Created by an architect for a client who collects antique tile, it qualifies as one very swanky pet sink, complete with a marble curb and polished nickel pot filler style faucet faucet plus hand spray. Relief tiles in elegant taupe and brown patterns are inset in the field of cream and taupe glazed tiles. The square tub occupies a space between the washer dryer and back door.

A wood counter rims the top of the sink and continues over the laundry machines. Overhead, a vintage rack provides a handy spot for drying towels or hanging laundry to dry or air in front of the window. Even as a non-pet household I would love the convenience of a low sink like this one or a plainer utility room floor sink that serves the same purpose.
    (Source: Smith & Vansant Architects) http://www.atticmag.com/2012/01/utility-room-tub-sink/
    Jazzy likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Love these nooks and crannies for pets. I'd love to incorporate one in my kitchen to feed the cats; their food gets frickin' everywhere.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I love the dog bath (ETA - not the tiles!!!), but as I have to trap Holly in the shower cubical with me to wash her, its not going to work on our house!
    Free Charmed.

None of these ideas would work in our apartment, but they're great! Now we just have to find a place to live to incorporate some of these!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I love these! Such great ideas for doggie and kitty areas. I love the elevated feeders and litter box enclosures.

I think the little sleeping areas are great for dogs. They love to have their own space. We have a landing in our stairs between the first and second floors and it's Toby's favorite space. He's up high and can see outside. I would love to be able to make a little space for him up there.

Haha some of these are cute. Good idea.

I have a pet bed for my dog. She never uses it. She prefers to sit on me.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

These are all cute,but my dogs pefer to be either on the couch or underfoot. They think I require constant supervision.
    laynes and shedevilang like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Toby needs a safe place...away from the child of the house

She's obsessed with the poor dog. She even gives him "exams" with her little first aid/med kit.

We have a velcro dog and we love it, although it's not always convenient, but sometimes you have visitors who get a bit nervous of a big dog begging for attention, bringing presents, kissing hand and feet, so then we put her in the hallway with some toys. Also whenever we go somewhere that she really can't come with, she goes inside her crate with water, snacks and toys, so one of the solutions in the original post would be great.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I love the chairs turned into feeders. If I still had my two huge dogs, I would copy that idea.

I like most of the designs here.

These are great. Damnit, I just had my laundry/half bath redone... I could have used one of these.

What excellent ideas these are. My dog has a very large wire crate that he uses as his bedroom and I keep material that blends with the room over all of it except the front, which also serves to keep him warm and make it feel like his little cave. When absolutely necessary, the door can be shut to keep him confined, but one of these built-in rooms would look so much more attractive.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I love these, especially this one

Hit By Ban Bus!

OMG I love all of these ideas, especially the tub in the laundry room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information