Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Making mudroom storage from an IKEA hack

Default Making mudroom storage from an IKEA hack

{Mudroom Storage: Reveal!!}

Our mudroom storage unit is finished, y'all (minus the hooks)! And I am so happy with the way it turned out! It's everything I dreamed of and fulfills my wish list...read here!

It's white and has corbels (love)!
    And it has just a little stained wood (love even more)!
    And it's ready for us to hang our junk, to be cluttered up with our life's stuff, and to be used by our family. It's ready for it all!

The bench is made from two Hemnes TV consoles from IKEA (about $150 each) and some pine boards, stained to make the wooden top. Read here to get more details on how we put the bench together.

Then, the games began as we pieced together the upper storage unit. It was kind of like solving a puzzle. Starting with two 1x12 boards on each side (6 foot tall) and then a grid in the middle with 1x4's (different lengths).
    Then, we built the shelves out of 1x12 boards (8 foot tall). Using the grids as support for the lower shelf, and 1x2's for the second shelf.
    Above the shelves, we used a 1x8 on it's side to add all the trim moulding. We found a great product at Home Depot that is two sided crown moulding. It was easy, easier than we had anticipated...for realz, we were stressing about one thing...the crown moulding! We made one cut with the compound miter saw set 33.9 bevel and 31.6 miter for an outside, 90 degree cut, the we flipped the other side of crown around, and we had a perfect mitered corner for the crown at top.

We added corbels from the Home Depot (they were about $9 each)...because I love them!

See the mitered perfectness...
    We trimmed it all out in lattice wood, and 1x3's (fronts of the boards) and 1x2's (fronts of shelf divisions).

We painted the whole thing (even the IKEA cabinets) with Sherwin Williams Extra White semi-gloss paint to match the existing trim in house (don't forget the FLOETROL). It took about three coats of paint...but we think it was well worth the effort! What do you think?

We still need to add hooks...but I am still looking for the perfect ones. I have looked in several places...but the hunt continues!

Each top "cubbie" is made to fit two Branas baskets from IKEA...with the dimensions of 9x9x9. I see a trip to Cincinnati in my future!
    All in all...we did the calculations, and adding the cost of the cabinets, lumber, crown moulding, paint, corbels, and nails, it cost us about $600 do to the whole thing! Considering that this was an upgrade offered by our builder at $1700, we saved about $1100. I feel pretty darn good about that!
    {A CHARMING NEST}: {Mudroom Storage: Reveal!!}
    Free Charmed.

No lie. That's freaking awesome.
    McJag and Fran like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

It is! Kudos on doing it all yourself!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Awesome!

You could probably even construct those upper cubbies out of an IKEA hack as well - like laying an Expedit bookcase or something on its side.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

yeah, I thought that they had until I saw the details - I think that they didn't because they wanted the baskets to go in there?
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Awesome!

You could probably even construct those upper cubbies out of an IKEA hack as well - like laying an Expedit bookcase or something on its side.
    You could, but Expedit is a piece of crap. In my incredibly humble opinion.

My god, it's humble.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I read the thread title as "Murderroom" I fucking love IKEA hacks!
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I read the thread title as "Murderroom"
    Posted from my iPhone
    No, that's mel's house.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    You could, but Expedit is a piece of crap. In my incredibly humble opinion.

My god, it's humble.
    Hehe, good to know! I don't have much IKEA anymore, and probably won't again as there isn't one in Atlantic Canada!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Hehe, good to know! I don't have much IKEA anymore, and probably won't again as there isn't one in Atlantic Canada!
    Not nec a bad thing...

Although, being a clumsy girl & having tile floors, they're great for cheap china.
    Free Charmed.

I love IKEA, it's such a fun place but I avoid anything built of particleboard. Disposable furniture. My daughter had the Expedit and just tossed it in the dumpster when she moved. The screws/connector thingies were pulling out and it was wobbly.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^^^
    this.
    i can spend hours in ikea but yeah some of the stuff is just too flimsy.
    i have a beautiful wood bookshelf from those up-and-coming designers collections they used to do (haven't seen them recently), it's very good quality and was maybe slightly more expensive than their usual stuff but well worth it. it's travelled from switzerland to chile to new york and each time it's been taken apart and put back together and it's still in perfect condition.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My billy bookcases have moved with me too.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I read the thread title as "Murderroom" I fucking love IKEA hacks!
    Posted from my iPhone
    And I read it as "mushroom storage." May be time to get the eyes checked.

LOVE what you did there Novice, totally cool and well designed.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Oh my gosh that's fantastic! That looks like a fully customized piece of furniture. Nov, I think I'd love your home. THe floors are great too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information