Thread: My House, Advice Needed

Default My House, Advice Needed

I need some ideas for my house. We have lived here two years and I am finally getting around to changing some paint and rearranging our original furniture. I have decorating issues all over my house. I don't know what my style is, maybe traditional contemporary?

Problem area #1: Entry way

Right when you walk in our front door there is a formal living/dining room, it's pretty large, but we use it for a hang out room, the kids play in there and we have a comfy couch. I use to have some ottomans against the front window and some other furniture, but I have removed them and need advice on what to put there instead. THE PICTURES ARE CLICKABLE THUMBNAILS.

Here is walking in the door and looking to your left, thereís also a step ladder bookshelf close to the door, you can see against the wall, itís not decorated right now because my kid climbed it and broke all the shit :

The problem with this area is that the couch is low profile and the corner next to it by the window is empty and probably 3-4 wide. I had ottomans against the wall for toys, but moved them upstairs. I put a stool there to show the size of the area. I donít know what to put there, I donít know if thereís enough direct sunlight for a plant (must be tall), a chair looks so weird there. My 4 year old suggested an electric fireplace or an aquarium. I am not sure!

Here is the rest of the room, I donít have a current picture, but you can see the layout of the previous owner:

Windows: The other issue is that the windows look so plain, I have 2.5Ē white wood blinds, I donít have window treatments because I like things simple and less dusty, but wonder if I should get some curtains or put wood trim around the windows to make it look nicer.

Something like this, but more simple at the bottom:

Paint: I want repaint my entire downstairs, I am leaning towards a soft green, maybe greyish-green color, not like a blue-green, not sage... another green I like this color, but not sure if it would work:

I am open to any ideas, if it helps most of my furniture is walnut or a pecan color, my couches are chocolate in front entry area and a grey-beige in the back of the first floor. My ceiling fans are dark brown. I have lots of dark frames/items on wall, I am trying to bring in color and avoid too much dark stuff, my house has too many browns. My rug in the front room is beige, chocolate, greens and creams. My rug in the back room is reds, beige, chocolates, etc.

I will be replacing the ugly original carpet and ugly tile (in kitchen and back living room) with this cherry flooring soon:

My kitchen looks similar to this one, so you can see my kitchen and what paint colors would look good with it.

I will have to upload pictures of my house so you can get a better idea.
    Last edited by DeadDwarf; May 30th, 2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: So sorry, I have no idea why the layout is so weird, help!

I have a few ideas. For the entry room, what about a basket where you could put cozy blankets or throws, and then some corner shelving above it for books? Here are some pictures I used for inspiration (Disregard the chaise - this pic is for the basket only).

I love Pottery Barn's beachcomber baskets, and Crate and Barrel has a great selection, too.

I think wood trim around the windows would look great. And I love the idea of a gray-green color. Very relaxing and timeless.

Thanks for the ideas, SB. I went to this store today called HomeGoods and picked out two cute baskets. I have never been there before, but they sell all home decor, like the home decor section at at Target, only lots more. Reasonable prices too, 2 big baskets for $30.

I like the floating shelf idea, maybe I can find some smaller beech or light maple colored ones to contrast with the darker wood in the room. I bet I could find those at Ikea. I was also looking for some accent pillows for that chocolate couch that have some color, no luck today.

I'm still brainstorming ideas for that weird corner. Off to google some more.

You can also find floating shelves at Lowe's. I believe they have all different finishes, as I have black ones in my living room/office.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

If you're trying to avoid too much dark, ceiling fans can be painted. I did that in the kitchen of our old farmhouse. I also removed the icky plastic inserts in the blades that were meant to look like woven cane and replaced them with leftover wallpaper I discovered on a shelf. I normally dislike wallpaper (personal preference) but had to admit that as a temporary measure it looked pretty spiffy.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I very much like that green color you are afraid might not work-I think it will! Start with the paint.
    Also, what about sheers for curtains? At least until you figure whicj way to go. I am fond of sheers!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i agree that you need to lighten up the place, especially if you've got so much dark wood and brown furniture.
    i also like the idea of grey-green walls, but it has to be light so as not to make the place look darker. i'd also go for a green that definitely leans more towards blue or grey than a bright yellowy one. something very light that you won't tire of quickly.
    but i think if you go with a grey-green, you have to introduce some blues and greens into the rest of the house too, and to be honest i would get rid of the rug in the entry, i find it too dark and the pattern too distracting, i think something lighter would look better there, maybe something like a large round jute rug or something with a more discreet pattern:

i like the idea of wood trim around the windows but i would make it white. and if you put in corner shelves, do them in white as well, rather than mixing light and dark woods.

i'm like you when it comes to curtains and window treatments. IMO nothing beats simple sheer blinds, or simple curtains on a nice rod. nothing frouffy or layers of thick curtains or even worse, those ones with matching fabric boxes over the windows. *vomits*

i also agree with twitchy's suggestion of painting the ceiling fans. i would paint the fans and ceilings white. even if you put colour on the walls, keep the trims and ceilings a bright white, it will make everything look cleaner and bigger.

i like these paint colours:

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    definitely accessorize with pets!

How to for the fans: My Repurposed Life™: Painting a Ceiling Fan
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    definitely accessorize with pets!
    they really tie the room together.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I love the gray/white combo in sputnik's pics. In my eyes you can never go wrong with gray, it's a great neutral, especially in a large room if you're afraid to commit to a green or blue, etc.

Last year I painted my friend's living room and hallway a really rich gray with semi-gloss white trim around windows/doorways and it really transformed her place. She had some beautiful built-ins which were BLACK and it was a bitch to get them white, but it really turned out beautifully. A fun place to play with color is a color visualizer program like this one. I used "lazy gray" on my friend's place.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/#
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Ok, I picked out 2 colors I liked yesterday and one was green and one was grey (and it was before Sputnik's reply).

Here is the soft green, Behr paint in turtle dove:

Here is the green color that someone used in their kitchen, you can see it looks more slightly more green then the swatch above:

Here is the light grey, Gldden in misty moonstone:

I was thinking of using the light green in the entry room and then starting the grey in the back of the house for the kitchen, dining room and living room (which is like one huge room). The colors go well together so I think the change won't be drastic. The issue I am having now is that my fireplace colors might need to be changed now. The colors on the fireplace wall are similar colors in my rug and mosaic pieces on the fireplace (which I love). My fireplace isn't done yet, I have this big piece of wood that I making a mantle out of, it will probably be stained a light pecan. I painted the wall because before it looked like this (btw, the main wall color is the same in both pictures, it just looks different, irl it's like a golden beige, not my favorite color and too dark):

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I can change the colors to match lighter colors in the fireplace mosaic. I put the swatches next to the fireplace, half way up the wall, so you can see how the new wall colors will be super light to what is there now. The colors look alike since the swatches are so small.
    I will have to write more and reply to you guys later, have to go to my baby brother's high school graduation!

I love those colors!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I love the gray/white combo in sputnik's pics. In my eyes you can never go wrong with gray, it's a great neutral, especially in a large room if you're afraid to commit to a green or blue, etc.

Last year I painted my friend's living room and hallway a really rich gray with semi-gloss white trim around windows/doorways and it really transformed her place. She had some beautiful built-ins which were BLACK and it was a bitch to get them white, but it really turned out beautifully. A fun place to play with color is a color visualizer program like this one. I used "lazy gray" on my friend's place.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/#
    Oh my gosh, why do I love that link so very much! I've spent the last hour painting the exterior of my house!

Thread Information