Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: DIY: Build your own Office nook

Default DIY: Build your own Office nook

Monday, August 30, 2010

My Blog Spot

There's a fun party going on called, "where do you blog" over at Centsational Girl. I thought I'd join in even though most of you have seen the built in nook when I did the reveal. PLUS, I'm also starting a blog roll, more on that at the end so stick around.

This is the little sitting area off to the side. The kids use it to pile in and look over each other shoulders when they are all on the computer. I curl up here and hubby and I look at ideas for our next project! We haven't decided if we are going to put shelves in the "built in in a built in" yet there on the side. I often have a tall pitcher of fresh flowers in it but these are from the wedding we just went to.

I actually blog over there on the left. Hey, there's whimages now up on the screen, such a coincidence! The floor still needs to be poly'd but we haven't gotten to that yet.

I'm shipping this FABULOUS FAN off to Melanie....although it's going to be hard to part with! Don't forget, there are other vintage goodies in the store over there on the right in the side bar. (Link not included. Nov)

Another photo of the left. That bucket on the right is so cool. It's from about 1870 and is an incredible enameled ebony brown color. It holds dog toys, ;-) If you want to see other photos of the built in nook, you can search it over there on the right or here is a link to the REVEAL.

So THIS is where I blog. It's in the family room, so not always a quiet place but I usually blog VERY early in the a.m. or VERY late in the p.m. so it's my special time!

WHIMAGES: My Blog Spot

The photos from the reveal link....

Monday, June 14, 2010

BUILT IN NOOK REVEAL PARTY! Woooooot! AND A GIVEAWAY!!!

Edit: Hey Ladies! This post is from a few months ago. Since then the built in has changed a tad. We made a cushion for the seat out of a drop cloth (you can search drop cloth to see it if you like it!) and added a few more accents on the shelves. Thanks for looking!

Did it feel like this day would never come? I know it does to my wonderful, handy, handsome husband! The DAY isn't really here according to him. The built in needs a couple of pieces of trim, under cabinet lighting, a cushion for the little reading nook, he needs to move the computer to the desk, a couple coats of paint on the very outside trim, the built in in a built in needs shelves still, the floor needs poly, he still has to cut out the five and I have to antique it and I have to hand paint the Robin above the built in in a built in and there are a couple little accoutrement's that aren't in yet. THAT being said, it's MOSTLY DONE! I couldn't stand it anymore...I HAD to show you!

If you are new to Whimages and haven't heard me drone on and on and on about this built in, you might want to read this post it has links to lots of other posts about the built in. If you are curious or are wasting some time at work! Also if you are new, this built in was originally cut into our family room wall, taking a bit of space from the garage, to make a built in entertainment center and bookshelves. Years later, we got a flat screen and no longer needed the entertainment center. So...VOILA' the NOOK was born. Or something like that!

In another post, later in the week, I'll do a before and after.

Most of these items in the Nook have significance to us. I'll just explain a few. The box with the lid on the left was made by Matt's grandfather. The school bell was his great uncle's and is neat because Matt taught school for 13 years and still works for the board of education in our county. The lidded box on the right was my husbands great great grandmothers and was hand made by her pastor, it was very sweet of Matt's Mom to give it to us. Many of the photos have meaning to us as well. The photo of the kids walking is super cool and is printed on aluminum! It looks like it's lit from within and came from the ULTRA cool and wonderful family owned business, www.pixel2canvas.com. The photo of the bridge is a tucked away little bridge in our county. Since we started dating, it's on one of the country roads that we LOVE to take slow drives on. The architectual piece above the photos came from my friends store in Bethany Beach, DE. It reminds us of the wonderful memories we have at their lovely (like so lovely it's in several magazines and 2 books) beach home. The rest I'll just let speak for it'self. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I'm so proud of the work that Matt put into this and I appreciate my father for helping with the lighting!

He even put a lot of detail on the ceiling!

Last edited by Novice; April 22nd, 2012 at 12:26 PM.

I like this. Thought maybe it used to be a closet, but she says it was a built in entertainment center? Wish she'd posted the before pic.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I've changed the title Trixie, because I thought that it was a cupboard but you're right it was a built-in entertainment centre,

Maybe this will help?

My space is like this but without the curtain and with a more practical chair and the desk is the full width of the closet. I also have a huge painting that takes up most of my wall space because I love it.

A Closet Turned Home Office from Lowe’s
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

Ooh! I like that Twitchy!

BTW thanks for correcting my spelling on "nook".... I dunno what I was thinking...

I always liked this desk that is supposed to belong to Martha Stewart, however I'm never sure about the massive TV just by your head.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fa...Page=9#slide=5

my mother has something similar in her tv room except like twitchy's the desk is the entire length of the nook and also she's got sliding doors so she can close it off if there are people over or something and she needs to hide the clutter. not that there's ever clutter (except when i'm visiting) since my mother is a neat freak.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm loving "nooks" (as anyone who follows me on Pinterest will tell you), I especially like the "office in a cupboard" idea.
    I've fallen in love with the "nooks under the stairs" idea too.

^ We can be nook soulmates, yes?
    Novice likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

*insert nookie joke*
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

I wish I had the talent for doing this sort of thing. It looks cute and stylish here. If I did it, it'd look like someone's 3rd grader made a craft project and I'd still end up hiring a professional to dismantle what I did and make it look right.

I wish I had a closet (or cupboard) to spare, but unfortunately living in a 1950's house, closet space is at a premium.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    ^ We can be nook soulmates, yes?
    You have Pinterest, yes?

I have a few crannies, but no nooks, sad to say.
    Trixie likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    You have Pinterest, yes?
    Yes, and nooks all over it! Even some sleeping ones...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

From scoutforthehome.com

I saw this & thought of Tati..... Check out the photo of Prince William on the desk...... LOL

Last edited by Novice; December 30th, 2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: To add smart-arsed comment....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information